Carrot

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
3.8

Mike Germano

Best agency in my experience

I have been working at Carrot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Carrot feels far more like a family than any of the other 4 agencies I've worked for. Due to the Vice ownership, there is a sense of urgency and importance to what is being completed, as well as a lot of "we'll figure it out when we get there." This is a pro AND a con, because if you're super inexperienced, I imagine this is a tough pill to swallow. Due to the relative small size of the company, wins are hard-fought, but feasible, and contributions are recognized and appreciated. So are failures. In my experience, there isn't a huge amount of coddling -- if you're awesome, you have all the room in the world to be awesome. If you suck, you suck hard. There is a ton of great opportunities in the future for the company, so for someone with the chops to handle their own, Carrot is a great opportunity. The office is awesome and super Brooklyn, the attitude is lax, and if you earn it, you get plenty of respect. I'm rarely the smartest person in the room, which is good, because I'm pretty smart. Most employees have a great attitude, which is pretty rare for this industry. There are a lot of jerks and super-alphas in the advertising game.

Cons

Carrot is growing FAST, and there are always growing pains in these types of situations. Like any small shop, it's up to every employee to carve their own path, and if you're someone who has no idea what they're doing, you might feel overchallenged. Carrot is doing too much too fast to hold on to dead weight, so if you're looking for an easy ride, this is not it. Hours can be pretty extensive at times, and work/life balance ebbs and flows depending on work. There is a pretty big disparity between experience levels in some departments.

Continue showing transparency as the company grows. Avoid the "we're the originals" and "you're the newbies" attitude (this will be increasingly important as the company grows). As you invest in other parts of the company, be sure to invest in employees, as competitive pay will be huge in Carrot attracting top talent. Be careful about hiring decisions -- just because Carrot will need more and more bodies to support the work being won doesn't mean anyone will do. Keep the bar high as far as hiring concerns (and yes, again, this will cost money).

An incredible place. An incredible time to be here.

I have been working at Carrot

Pros

CULTURE: Its not just a buzzword here. As a whole, the people I work with are ambitious but aren't sharks. They're passionate and creative but also selfless and approachable.

Since I've started here, the agency has nearly doubled in size. Despite growing numbers, I'm amazed to find that there is still a tangible sense of camaraderie within our office. From the goofy traditions to the diverse roster of committees, everyone here works hard to cultivate this unique atmosphere. This is something that employees and management of all levels buy into which is why I think the culture has been able to scale so well as Carrot continues to grow.

OPPORTUNITY: You get to work at one of the hottest digital agencies that also happens to be owned by the coolest media conglomerate on earth. Not an opportunity that knocks on your door everyday.

Cons

The vibe is pretty young and edgy. Those who tend to be more traditional minded or have previously operated in a corporate setting will face a serious adjustment.

People might try and convince you to overpay for a sandwich at Forgers.

More 'Carrot', very little 'creative'.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Carrot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

On paper, this agency has everything - a Brooklyn location, swish office, a shiny website, regular team activities, a young crew, cookies and a softball team. The reality is, most of these pros (and the recent positive company reviews) are the work of a smart PR team.

Cons

Young team means there's very little in the way of agency structure and a real creative process. Management are unprofessional and unwilling to take guidance from staff who've had actual creative agency experience. Co-workers are pitted against each other and promotions are dangled in front of staff, but never actually come into fruition. Long hours and a lot of chest beating/bravado running around, but very little to show for it in terms of actual industry awards or profit sharing.

Don't be afraid to trust the knowledge and expertise of your team. Reward and acknowledge the hard efforts of your employees and give them a stake in the company they're helping build.

Flailing

I have been working at Carrot full-time

Pros

Beautiful office space. Spacious deck with great views of Brooklyn. Well-stocked kitchen. Some genuinely friendly people. New employees will be paid well.

Cons

Inexperienced management in over their heads. Projects consistently mismanaged from the top down. Expect to take the fall when management fails. Expect to be on the clock and working 24/7. "Family" environment is full of tension, cliques, petty gossip and passive aggressive behavior. No 401k or profit sharing of any kind.

Going downhill, fast.

I worked at Carrot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and medical is all paid for by the company. The office is pretty sweet and it has a deck, which is a good thing because you'll be spending most of your life inside. There's also the committees which keep the social outings coming, however this can be a little overwhelming, especially when your social life dies from the long work hours.

Cons

This was once an inspiring place to work. Carrot once cared about the people they hired and this used to feel like a somewhat democratic workplace. None of these things exist anymore. Senior management are incredibly belittling, and provide no opportunities for growth. They hire and fire on a whim and treat their staff like children. Staff used to work here for 5+ years - this too is a thing of the past. The turnover rate is insane at the moment and this is largely to do with their terrible hiring process and staff just having enough of the bullying. This might also be a throwback from the recent acquisition by Vice, of which many employees were promised by senior management that "we'd never sell".

You sold the soul of this company the day you sold this "family" to Vice. You've lost sight of what you built and you no longer treat your incredibly hardworking staff with the respect they deserve.

Not the Carrot it used to be

I have been working at Carrot full-time

Pros

Fast-paced environment with a young team, and lots of after work mixers, networking events and BBQs.
    Rarely in pursuit of bad clients, which means the variety of work is pretty good. Good health benefits and vacation policy.

Cons

Grew too fast and lost the charm and spirit it once had. Carrot is operating on the fumes of a once family-style environment and now feels like any other agency. The only thing that lingers from their early start-up days are the low salaries and long work hours. RIP Carrot Creative.

Stop trying to hold onto the start-up culture and pay your staff what they deserve.

Work hard/play hard

I have been working at Carrot full-time

Pros

No matter who you are here, your voice is always heard and you have the opportunity to influence great work. Excellent perks, open office, and awesome people are all things that make this place great.

Cons

Structure is definitely an issue. Career paths and opportunities for growth are a big grey area. Visibility to the top which was once very clear is becoming more and more guarded.

These guys have the brains and ambition to be the best - they'll work through whatever growing pains the get there one day. Getting their ducks in a row sooner rather than later will be imperative to retaining talent though.

Excellent, growing company

Current Employee - Developer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very loose/flexible organizational structure. Able to decide what types of projects I work on. People are passionate about their work & very friendly, which makes for a great culture.

Also, there are always snacks in the kitchen, so that's nice.

Cons

The development team is a little small right now, but that's changing quickly. Also, there is way too much canada dry ginger ale in the fridge.

fun, fast, freakish

I have been working at Carrot

Pros

The people like to have fun, but know how to buckle down and get things out the door.

Cons

It's a pretty tight-knit community. Deciding if you're in or out, and maintaining a healthy work / life balance is a slippery slope.

Everything I knew it would be.

Current Employee - Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people. As a Carrot, you become a part of two things: an all-star team the likes of which you've never seen, and a welcoming family that you can count on for anything.

Oh yeah, the view is pretty nice too.

Cons

Anywhere else you go, you'll always compare it to this place... and it will never compare.

Keep being badass.