Cars.com

Cars.com Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Cars.com President Mitch Golub

Mitch Golub

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is extremely easy to maintain because you make your own schedule(in 17 reviews)

• Excellent work/life balance and ability to work from home on a regular basis(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up in the company, too competitive and political(in 4 reviews)

• It's biggest downside is it's umbrella organization - Classified Ventures (CV)(in 3 reviews)

A great place to grow a career!

Human Resources (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTons of advancement opportunities. They've worked hard in the last couple of years to get up to industry standard pay ranges but still offer incredible work life balance. A very fun and collaborative environment.

ConsThe pace can be a little slow at times. While they are trying to get away from it, there is a bit of a meeting culture here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, the new flexible work and work from home programs are great

Great people, great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe business is growing, the executive leadership team has a strong vision and know how to scale the business, the culture is relaxed while staying productive and competitive.

ConsThe decision making process for new initiatives can sometime be a little too long and arduous. Compensation, although competitive, tends to not be on the higher end of the curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate people with tenure and the know-how in every cross-functional meeting. It will eliminate unneeded back and forth and ensure projects are completed quicker.

Good company to work for as long as you are not a victim of upper management politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Good people to work with for most part
    - Good work-life balance
    - Good career pathing even when it comes to inter-department transfers
    - Great company culture, last friday parties and a fun environment

Cons- Low salaries
    - Weak upper management
    - Frequent reorgs that leaves people confused and hinders career growth and momentum. I am speaking specifically from my experience in product department which re-orgd 3 times within one year and they way it was executed was terrible (people thrown in different roles and teams without being consulted)
    - Employees are treated like a herd of cattle and roles are now being defined in way that makes an employee feel like they are easily replaceable. It wasnt necessarily the case before.

Advice to Senior Management- Upper management should take a stand and question new executives who are changing things around drastically without knowing in and outs of the company
    - Employees are not replaceable, so dont treat them like assembly line workers
    - If you say they are family, treat them like one and dont throw them out once you are done using them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Place to Work

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Culture, Collaborative, Good compensation, supportive coworkers, a lot of parties and team outings

ConsIt's slow moving. Don't expect to do work on the cutting edge. A lot of meetings within its Agile management structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to trying more new things.

Great Atmosphere, lots of ambition

ProsRelaxed atmosphere
    Not overly corporate or stuffy
    Growing company

ConsSome departments don't function efficiently
    Product teams more concerned about the process than the product
    Upper management more concerned about meetings than the site.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is too disengaged.

Great young company with interesting future.

Field Sales Manager (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsThey give you every tool and opportunity to be successful.

ConsThere seems to be a lot of movement with in the employment structure due to promotion or involuntary or voluntary separation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep employees longer as they truely take time to develops relationships with the customer base since many car dealerships joke there is a new rep ever year. Even when a rep is high quality.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Place to work

Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis is a great company with respect to work life balance. You work regular hours and there are mostly no extra hours. Benefits are good. Lot of good technologies across the board, so quite a bit of learning opportunity. Laid back culture. Surrounded with good people

ConsNot the best place in terms of Salary- subpar. Management can do a lot better. Less of organic thinking more of top down implementation

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more Agile, take ideas from across the board especially from technical people and try out. Don't be too much stuck in the past and try new things

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat location, good opportunities if you seek it, strong company

ConsRemote office can feel "separate" from HQ

Great benefits, awesome culture & friendly colleagues

ProsCareer growth opportunities, awesome culture, great benefits, work life balance is great

ConsCan't think of anything right now

Wonderful, successful company

ProsGreat culture. Challenging work. Changing the way consumers buy cars. Smart people throughout the place. In super growth mode; ability to move up quickly

ConsWish there were more positions in marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Worked for Cars.com? Contribute to the Community!