Carson-Newman College

www.cn.edu

Carson-Newman College Reviews

2.9

CEO

Great school and purpose, but in a tough spot as a workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, TN

I have been working at Carson-Newman College full-time

Pros

Christian work environment, encouraged to share values and mentor students, other like-minded teachers who are true servants

Cons

School is in a tight financial spot right now so 401(k) matching benefits have been removed, have only had one 2% pay raise in 3 years that didn't even cover the health insurance cost increase, really have to see this as serving to come here

Great purpose clouded by budget and strategy issues

I worked at Carson-Newman College full-time

Pros

Able to teach and coach students in the best way you see fit. Flexibility in the classroom. Great at service learning and pushing the students to see past the classroom and to see the higher purpose in what they do.

Cons

Budget constraints have doubled and tripled some class sizes - with no additional help. Pay and positions cuts have pushed the faculty to where they are hanging on by a thread. I saw 70% of the faculty in my division leave within a four-year period, though there are still some faculty passionate about nurturing students.

Obviously in a budget crunch you heavily focus on fundraising and reducing expenses. If you have to do that, take care of your faculty in other ways. If they are suffering, hold them up -- don't burden them with more administrative tasks

The truth about Carson Newman

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Jefferson City, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Jefferson City, TN

I have been working at Carson-Newman College

Pros

Carson Newman has provide me the opportunity to build an entire degree program with academic standards that supersede larger universities. My supervisor and dean have continually supported any changes I recommended for the curriculum, GPA standards and laboratory equipment requisite for me to provide an exemplary educational environment for my students.

Cons

Mirroring larger universities, it is blatantly apparent that athletic ventures (e.g., football) receive the preponderance of financial gifts and enjoy facilities that grossly exceed most academic classrooms.

Develop a pragmatic financial strategy to permit the university to maintain it's financial solvency without a significant reliance on donations from entities who wish to influential the religious principles championed by the university.

Great place to work

I worked at Carson-Newman College

Pros

Lots of good people to work with. Solid academic reputation. Employees tend to come and stay a long time. Good sense of family.

Cons

Suffers from budget issues, lack of fund raising. Athletics is rarely affected by budget cuts but academic departments are affected nearly every year. Needs a strong administration with good leadership. Has a Provost that wants to run the college.

Listen to the facutly.