Carson Pirie Scott Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

Carson Pirie Scott President Bud Bergren
Bud Bergren

Pros
  • Somewhat flexible scheduling, great for students, people with multiple jobs or other weekly committments (in 7 reviews)

• The best reason to work at Carson Pirie Scott is the employee discount that you get when you work there (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A downside in working there is that there is not enough help and you do the work of three people for minimum wage (in 4 reviews)

• short time associate get no more then 20 hours a week or 1000 hours a year (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not so great company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norridge, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with great people and the employee discount is a plus.

Cons

Upper management doesn't respect their employees.

Stop pick on some people and be more consistent with promotions and discipline of all employees.

It could be worse

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Matteson, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Matteson, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supervisors and associates are what make working there fun. The discount is helpful. Some associates are willing to help in other departments when the store is slow. Managing your school and home life is easy because of their flexible hours.

Cons

They push you to force their store card on the customers. All they care about is hitting their bottom line. You're often working by yourself even on busy days which makes things stressful when theres a sale to be set and you have to take care of the customers. They expect you to get all the tasks they assign you done but it is pretty much impossible when you're woking by yourself and trying to assist customers at the same time.

Hire more associates and accept that not everyone wants to open a store card.

Great place for a part time position!

Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist  in  Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with wonderful people and supervisors who were hardworking and very team oriented.

Cons

Low wages and holiday hours that went long into the night.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

dead end

Former Employee - Stock/Cashier  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Stock/Cashier in Aurora, IL

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott

Pros

really none at all. you can't move up. even a lot of workers here are rude n horrible!

Cons

Minimum wage still after years!!! Workers that didn't want to work slacked off and got paid more.(this was a known thing and managers would let them) You do the work of a few people b/c you are short handed/ the people there don't work a lot. Very high turn over rate, people would quit all the time without notice. Managers don't care about anything and are rude just like a lot of workers. Managers and workers talk crap about everyone. No professionalism workers and managers will call everyone out for making a mistake and accusing when you didn't do the mistake. Managers made a show out of lecturing you and being rude in front of all workers to a lot of people for no reason. Constant last minute schedule changes if you were believed to be off. Many mandatory days that you have to work a lot of months even if it's not your regular job. They will make it just enough hours sometimes so you can't have a break. If you can't/ try to say u can't work mandatory days you are to feel tense and punished with your job being compromised. Hard dripping sweat work not recognized/ no incentives for labor job. Manager just a joke, get mad when u had a simple question or polite comment. Very tense you are feeling like. Get no help really from managers when there was always too much work and short staff!!! They wait forever to hire extra people but they all quit anyways. You are FIRED if you don't work 12 hours for black friday. So not worth all the stress for an average check of $100 bucks. I could go on much longer but it would be a thousand pages.

don't be managers and be professional and not insulting like a gossiping highschooler

Unproffesional!!! Worst work environment

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very lenient, don't really care if you use your phone on the floor. not really a Pro if you think about it

Cons

managers have no management skills. Don't know how our store is still standing. Managers fight with employess in front of customers.

Fire the assistant managers, and hire new and well trained ones.

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago Ridge, IL

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent discount, decent people to work with and nice hours

Cons

A lot to do with little pay, management sucks, little store

Be more respectful to your employees and maybe they would wanna work in that little place you call a store. Stop being so picky and racist.

They expect too much and are always understaffed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Riverside, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than a year

Pros

Your coworkers are probably going to be the best part of the job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. They start you off a minimum wage and it is impossible to get a decent raise. They nag about e-mails and instant credits. Also, managers are ridiculous! There is no concrete management style because what one manager does is different from another. Managers are super lazy and basically gossip in their office! Seriously, if you have a situation on the selling floor, certain managers won't even answer the phone! It is also a workplace of favorites, by which I mean, if you are a favorite, they won't nag you about everything. Also, beware of the main Human Resource! She does not know how to talk to people and will be completely rude to you! Lastly, the equipment at this Carson's is terrible. The senor remover is very old school, and the registers are supposedly hand-me-downs from Macy's.

My advice to management would be to pay employees better. I feel that sales are good enough to pay employees at a decent wage, especially when you under staff the whole store and give terrible hours! Also, hire decent managers who know how to talk to associates!

good managers make a difference

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

Pros

the hours are flexible, store manager at Vernon Hills is very fare, and works with her staff. she is on the floor making changes and encouraging the employees to come up with ideas. she has an open door policy. from the minute I walked into the store I felt comfortable asking her questions . Even if the question sounded like I didn't have a clue, she never makes you feel bad. always positive with everyone, treats everyone the same.

Cons

short hours in the summer the customer complains to the sales associates. it's hard to listen to the complaints and stay positive. it's a challenge, but I can do it.

my only advice to store manager is to try and help the department managers be positive and to give compliments when ever possible. it makes a difference I walk into work with s positive attitude about the day. Most of the times the manager/ supervisor in my area starts talking negative about the customers and retail in general I may be odd but if we dish out negative thoughts and words that's what the day will be like .

Great store, Great retail experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norridge, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, environment, great learning experience, Learn great skills to further career in retail industry

Cons

blackout dates for taking off

Keep up the good work with truly caring for your employees.

An interesting, enjoyable experience

Former Employee - Seasonal-cashier  in  Chicago Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal-cashier in Chicago Ridge, IL

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of things to do so you will not get bored. I was in costume jewelry, so I spent a lot of time arranging displays and counters. Bosses allow you to take care of multiple areas. Very user-friendly, easy-to-learn computer system.

Cons

A high-end department store attracts the shoplifters and swindlers. Watch out for fake coupons and counterfeit money!

None.

Worked for Carson Pirie Scott? Contribute to the Community!