Carson Pirie Scott

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carson Pirie Scott President Bud Bergren

Bud Bergren

Pros:
  • "Somewhat flexible scheduling, great for students, people with multiple jobs or other weekly committments"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The best reason to work at Carson Pirie Scott is the employee discount that you get when you work there"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "A downside in working there is that there is not enough help and you do the work of three people for minimum wage"
    in 4 reviews
  • "short time associate get no more then 20 hours a week or 1000 hours a year"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful managers!!!

Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott full-time for less than a year

ProsManagers, staff and customers are worth going to work for.

ConsSometimes, hard on the ankles and feet - standing for a long time.

For my first job, it was pretty awesome.

Merrillville, IN

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, Nice coworkers, Everyone is on the same page, There is always plenty to do (esp in clothing depts)

ConsSome of the coworkers are a bit rude, Some customers are rude as well, Fitting rooms are always a drag, LP is too slow

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of waiting until the last minute to get inventory together or the store nice for inspection, keep it that way year round.

Currently Employed

Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee Discount, building friendships with customers, somewhat flexible schedule.

ConsUpper management gives you the go around when it comes to raises. Supervisors can never be found, most of the time they hardly answer phone calls. All projects are done on our own, we do receive some guidance from visual....but they can do so much. Major moves are usually told within hours of a corporate visit which makes it a stressful environment. Customers are always upset because of the exclusions on the coupons and the coupons are extremely confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe reason why the retention rate is so low in this company is because no raises in pay are offered. There are plenty of good workers within this company, that will leave because of not being appreciated.

Excellent atmosphere!

Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat sales, wonderful merchandise and fun staff.

ConsCustomer's attitudes are too much sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much to do because managers cater to customers.

Fun if you don,t need the money

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

ProsGenerally people and customers are nice

ConsManagement clique, inexperienced supervisors/ management; management very " tightly wound" ask associates to be friendly but management and HR is stern; don't say hello or smile... interesting

Advice to Senior ManagementAct and do to associates as you would want associates to treat customers. Think of associates as your customers. Read up on servant leadership. How about: ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen as a theme for all. Speak to associates as adults; you may be surprised how adult that they will then act.

Good company ---- for the customers.

Bradley, IL

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for less than a year

ProsFor working at Carsons the best positive is that you get a discount, which on sale days is decent, you certainly won't make enough as a sales associate to fully appreciate it.

ConsLack of good management. No one really cares about the individual worker,

Not a bad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott full-time

ProsFriendly coworkers, supervisors are reasonable people, most have worked their way through the ranks so they can related to their subordinates. Flexible schedule for the most part.

ConsHolidays and evening hours. Some people might see that as a pro

Worst job I have ever had. Period.

Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible shifts and convenient location

ConsSome employees and even some supervisors are very catty. I overheard many times of supervisors insulting other employees and basically giving them a hard time for no reason other than he or she doesn't like them. I went through less drama in high school. The store manager obviously plays favorites with some employees while he treats the rest of us like we were dogs or slaves. No wonder the turnover rate in this store is alarming.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to do a very thorough investigation in this store. There are some serious changes that have to be made.

Retail Job

I have been working at Carson Pirie Scott

ProsEveryone was upbeat, management was good.

ConsNot many hours for sales associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to sale associates.

Company cares about company

Michigan City, IN

I worked at Carson Pirie Scott part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people that work at the store.

ConsWhile working for this company I saw workers that had been there for years 13 & 14 years leave the company due to illness, retirement, or job loss, and their full time hourly positions vanished and was replaced with short hour employment opportunities. This is how they scheduled me.. my 20 hours a week. 5 days at 4 hours for each shift, and this was perfectly acceptable to them, and if I complained that it was impossible for me to secure another badly needed job, if they scheduled me that way. They responded by only working me to 2-3, 4 hour shifts a week.

This company showed they cared about one thing, MONEY!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember without the people who organize, display and sell your product, you have no business... If you don't want to take care of your employees, move to being an online only business!!

Worked for Carson Pirie Scott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carson Pirie Scott reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carson Pirie Scott CEO Bud Bergren. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Carson Pirie Scott employees.