Carter Lumber

Be The First To
Add Photos

Neil C. Sackett

Carter Lumber

ProsGreat People and environment love it

Consnone great place to work and enjoy

Just a job

ProsEmployer works around schedule and bosses are very understanding

ConsThey hire people part time and work them full time to keep pay and benefits at a minimum. Raises are also not given

MANY GOOD YEARS WITH PREVIOUS MANAGEMENT

Office (Current Employee)
    Kent, OH

ProsCANT THINK OF ANY PROS

ConsThis management team layed off or fired at least 10 employees from the office who had up to 40years service with the company. average 25yrs.This was to make a new Carter who just closed 25 stores and approx. 100 people lost there jobs and weren't offered any other place with the company.The management earns large bonuses while these people go on unemployment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

still developing

Yard Guy (Former Employee)
    Butler, PA

Prosnew, high tech, all indoors

Consno local customers, no advertising like signs indicating that they existed except the one on the store

Total sweat shop

Franklin, IN

ProsEvery day is worse than the last. At least the health care will cover your ulcer. Or break down. Hopefully.

ConsThe absolute worst place you will ever work. Manager brags he fired entire shift one day. He's actually proud of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes it siund like they care?

great place

OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee)
    Ripley, WV

Prosgood pay and good hours

Consbad management and long hours

Advice to Senior Managementget better people in charge

It's been easy going, educative and enjoyable. Hard work, decent compensation, good management.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Roseville, OH

ProsManagement at the particular store is a dream come true.
    Good place for an entry level retail in building materials to grown and learn.
    Trust and respect lower level employees.

ConsUndermanned, too much work too little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't keep workers employed out of "tradition". Fire people that aren't pulling their weight.

Overall my experience working at Carter Lumber has been positive,

Kitchen Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Conneaut Lake, PA

ProsI have worked for Carter at 4 stores in 3 states in the last 14 years and have held a number of positions over the years. It has given me the opportunity to learn many diferent aspects of the lumber business and I have been able to work some great people, both co-workers and the contractors and do-it-yourselfers who deal with us. I have especially enjoyed learning to design and sell kitchens because it is such a rewarding experience to take someone from the dreaming of a new kitchen stage through the budgeting,and planning stages and to finally see the finished project.

ConsBecause each location is so small, usually betweeen 10 and 20 employees per store, it is often necessary to wear several hats. While I have enjoyed most of the jobs that I have learned to do there, now that I have really found my niche, I sometimes resent having to go back, as it were, to a former position because there aren't enough people to cover the sales counter without depending on me to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding more opportunities for kitchen sales representatives to get together to exchange ideas and information about vendors, products, etc.. would be very helpful.

not that great. the wadsworth branch shut down and any other location near was not busy enough to transfer me elsewhere.

Yard Specialist (Former Employee)
    Wadsworth, OH

Prosi guess it is a good job if you are in college like i am. just a low paying but steady job to get you through.

Consit shut down and left me jobless. any other higher positions were taken and did not need any others, so i was nowhere near a promotion. the management sucked,

Advice to Senior Managementcorporate needs to step it up. if the right people were running this and taking risks and making right decisions along with the correct and right amount of advertising carter lumber would be the absolute best lumber company in the u.s. i believe even better than home depot! if i was in the family/owner of carter lumber i know the 1st changes i would be making!!!

Store Management

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEasy opportunity for advancement. Company has been in business for many years.

ConsThey don't give you many of the tools to be successful at your job. They are very quick to cut pay and benefits of employees before trying to control operation costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen better to the management in the field. Too much stock is placed in a few executive positions and decisions aren't being made in the company's best interest. Invest in store managers, they are on the front lines and there should not be a revolving door mentality for the position.

Worked for Carter Lumber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carter Lumber reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carter Lumber CEO Neil C. Sackett. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Carter Lumber employees.