www.carterlumber.com

Updated October 29, 2014
3.1

Neil C. Sackett

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

Great People and environment love it

Cons

none great place to work and enjoy

Terrible place to buy lumber, worse place to work

Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Flint, MI

I worked at Carter Lumber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lower level coworkers are generally decent folks.

Cons

I've been to most of their Michigan and Ohio locations as a customer, supplier and employee, they all seem to be the same. First and foremost, the management staff are the worst part. They sometimes pretend to care, but their actions don't reflect that at all. When I was employed there, they fired three new guys, two for very minor infractions, and one who was a veteran with minor ptsd issues. There is minimal professionalism or customer care. The pay is terrible, and the benefits don't amount to much. Long hours, zero appreciation for how hard you worked. It was easy to see in the first few weeks why every single other employee despised the manager so much. And why they can't retain their best people. The quality of the equipment and facilities are outdated, worn out, unsafe, unreliable, inefficient, and low quality. The quality of the products you're forced to sell are not much better, which makes you look bad to the customer. Not a good place to work, and they certainly wont earn my business.

Treat your people better. Most of your employees are on a first name basis with your customers. When your people don't hate their job, they treat the customer better. When the customer gets taken care of , they buy more and provide word-of-mouth advertising. Which will increase the bottom line you care so much about.

Just a job

I have been working at Carter Lumber part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employer works around schedule and bosses are very understanding

Cons

They hire people part time and work them full time to keep pay and benefits at a minimum. Raises are also not given

MANY GOOD YEARS WITH PREVIOUS MANAGEMENT

Current Employee - Office in Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Office in Kent, OH

I have been working at Carter Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CANT THINK OF ANY PROS

Cons

This management team layed off or fired at least 10 employees from the office who had up to 40years service with the company. average 25yrs.This was to make a new Carter who just closed 25 stores and approx. 100 people lost there jobs and weren't offered any other place with the company.The management earns large bonuses while these people go on unemployment.

still developing

Former Employee - Yard Guy in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Yard Guy in Butler, PA

I worked at Carter Lumber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

new, high tech, all indoors

Cons

no local customers, no advertising like signs indicating that they existed except the one on the store

Total sweat shop

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, IN

I have been working at Carter Lumber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day is worse than the last. At least the health care will cover your ulcer. Or break down. Hopefully.

Cons

The absolute worst place you will ever work. Manager brags he fired entire shift one day. He's actually proud of it.

Does it siund like they care?

great place

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Ripley, WV
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Ripley, WV

I worked at Carter Lumber

Pros

good pay and good hours

Cons

bad management and long hours

get better people in charge

It's been easy going, educative and enjoyable. Hard work, decent compensation, good management.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

Management at the particular store is a dream come true.
    Good place for an entry level retail in building materials to grown and learn.
    Trust and respect lower level employees.

Cons

Undermanned, too much work too little pay.

Don't keep workers employed out of "tradition". Fire people that aren't pulling their weight.

not that great. the wadsworth branch shut down and any other location near was not busy enough to transfer me elsewhere.

Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Wadsworth, OH
    Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Wadsworth, OH

I worked at Carter Lumber

Pros

i guess it is a good job if you are in college like i am. just a low paying but steady job to get you through.

Cons

it shut down and left me jobless. any other higher positions were taken and did not need any others, so i was nowhere near a promotion. the management sucked,

corporate needs to step it up. if the right people were running this and taking risks and making right decisions along with the correct and right amount of advertising carter lumber would be the absolute best lumber company in the u.s. i believe even better than home depot! if i was in the family/owner of carter lumber i know the 1st changes i would be making!!!

Overall my experience working at Carter Lumber has been positive,

Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

I have worked for Carter at 4 stores in 3 states in the last 14 years and have held a number of positions over the years. It has given me the opportunity to learn many diferent aspects of the lumber business and I have been able to work some great people, both co-workers and the contractors and do-it-yourselfers who deal with us. I have especially enjoyed learning to design and sell kitchens because it is such a rewarding experience to take someone from the dreaming of a new kitchen stage through the budgeting,and planning stages and to finally see the finished project.

Cons

Because each location is so small, usually betweeen 10 and 20 employees per store, it is often necessary to wear several hats. While I have enjoyed most of the jobs that I have learned to do there, now that I have really found my niche, I sometimes resent having to go back, as it were, to a former position because there aren't enough people to cover the sales counter without depending on me to do it.

Providing more opportunities for kitchen sales representatives to get together to exchange ideas and information about vendors, products, etc.. would be very helpful.