Carter & Burgess Reviews

Ben Watts

good so far

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter & Burgess full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good integrity and competitive salary

Cons

flexible hours are not much of a option

Business Development

Former Employee - Project Management and Sales in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Project Management and Sales in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Carter & Burgess full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bought by Jacobs and absorbed into a much larger firm.

Cons

The new owners have never listened to the current employees.

Listen to employees. They're in the trenches and know what works. You're in the Ivory Tower and not current.

Small Company Feel for Big Corporation

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Carter & Burgess full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth opportunities. Team work. Staff mentoring.

Cons

Technology behind. Too many meetings.

Sooooooo Corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

Impressive history and very good expertise in the architecture and engineering industry. Leader in the transportation engineering sector. Respectable people in certain places.

Cons

Terrible lack of camaraderie across (and even within some) departments. Lost connection to the trailblazing days of impressive engineering feats. Terrible employee relations practices.

Engage employees with company history and current expertise. Take a hard look at HR and marketing leaders and expertise - there's room for for improvement. Break down walls between departments. Get Ben Watts to be more aggresive in leading the company to the future from a firm foundation of days gone by. He's a good man and a solid leader - but he may not be able to see the politics and wasted energy at levels below.

Too top heavy

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

Co-workers were amazing, but the top managers did not communicate with the staff very often. When Jacobs take-over happened, it was top secret.

Cons

Top managers did not communicate with the staff very often. When Jacobs take-over happened, it was top secret and not handled very well.

Listen to the 'under-lings' sometimes they have good ideas. The staff that does the hardest work needs to be recognized as well as their managers.

Great if you don't mind the hours

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

C&B has a lot of interesting projects and multiple offices throughout the country. The have good pay for their staff and a clear chain of command.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours and C&B was acquired by Jacobs and the management has since gone down hill. In my opinion as an employee, it was the wrong move.

I understand that management has to switch to the philosophy of the new master (Jacobs), but I think they lost what it was that made people WANT to work for C&B. I hope they get it back again.

Was only good for the stakeholders and not the little people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

location was convenient to where I lived. I live in Fort Worth so it was close to me. I couldn't find anything closer to me and needed a job so this was it.

Cons

peoples attitudes were one of the main reasons and the upper management thought their **** did not stink. they sold the company took the money and ran and left the little people.

Now that C&B doesn't exist anymore, there really isn't anything so I hope those that made out with the money are happy and their pockets are still lined with green.

Great summer internship

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

great people, good environment, excellent learning opportunities, a good place for an EIT fresh out of school to gather valuable experience

Cons

bought out by a massive behemoth. the company went from 3200 employees before the buy-out to over 50,000. i used to not have anything against big companies, but i won't work for another one of this size ever again.

the safety thing with the new company is quite excessive. i understand that this will not change, but i won't ever work for another company that makes me fill out a "safe plan of action" card and check my tire pressure before i go to a job site a mile and a half down the road.

Matrix Management Meltdown

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Carter & Burgess

Pros

Nice location, offices, and facilities.

Cons

Matrix management is dysfunctional. Discipline leads don't care about new projects or profitability, undermining, or working against, project management. No employee accountability. Quality control nonexistent. Management, salaries, advancement highly politicized.

Get out of your offices and walk around. Talk to employees and see who is working and who isn't. Siphon off some stockholder bonuses and invest it in your core employees.