Carter's Reviews

Carter's CEO Mike Casey
Mike Casey

1. Retail Marketing Rep

Current Employee - Retail Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Perfect job for a stay at home mom. You make your own hours. Goals are attainable. Work with great people promoting and branding a great product

Cons

There is little room for growth and promotion

2. Shamefully inadequate yearly compensation

Current Employee - Creative Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Creative Artist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous 401k offering and vacation schedule.

Cons

Entirely too many "goal-setting" self-evaluations resulting in absolutely nothing but insulting pay raises of 2.0 - 2.5%.

Advice to Management

Cut the bi-annual goal-setting, self-evaluating nonsense! You are sadly mistaken if you believe that your employees really have the time or interest to meet new goals every 6 months, especially when you are too stingy to compensated them for their efforts.

Babies Could Lead Better

Former Employee - Sourcing in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sourcing in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carter's

Pros

Excellent coworkers, beautiful product, nice building, interesting working in the apparel industry with people who have been in the business a long time.

Cons

Everyone is overworked and under appreciated. Management is terrible and doesn't have leadership skills. They can regularly be heard screaming at each other through closed doors in my department. The way we were told to do our jobs changed 3 times in 15 months. Stability doesn't exist within my group. HR is useless, although they regularly promise to make things better. In my time working at Carter's they hired several people externally instead of hiring qualified internal candidates. It's a rat race to see who can leave their positions the fastest. I frequently heard people in common areas discussing what other companies they were applying to for employment. I was the 19th person I knew to leave the company in 12 months.

I know a few people in other departments who enjoy their jobs, but my experience was so awful I wouldn't recommend Carter's to anyone. People in my team went to HR with complaints multiple times for over a year, and nothing was ever done. I asked to be trained several times over a 6 month period and was ignored. I got great feedback on my projects from coworkers and other departments, but my boss never took time to edify myself or others. Coworkers had excessive work, and 2nd level management didn't help juggle or prioritize. Getting feedback or growing professionally was non existent. I worked with talented people, but they never got the opportunity to shine due to cleaning up after their bosses. Gossip and backstabbing is also more prevalent than in other companies.

Advice to Management

If every person from a team complains about the same things take it seriously instead of saying you'll do something and NEVER following through. Take time to train people. Figure out who the good employees are and let them shine or they'll quit like the other 20+ people I knew. Do housecleaning and only leave hard working, competent people. Don't fill a supervisory position with a person who has no clue how to manage/treat others well.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible shifts, Awesome work colleagues and nice working environment

Cons

None that I can think of. At first I thought it would be hectic but with time I adapted to the place so easily.

No work life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carter's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people..warm and friendly. CEO is a great guy.

Cons

No work life balance. High expectations and no support, direction or resources to go with it. Unrealistic demands..management was inexperienced and provided no guidance on difficult tasks.

Advice to Management

Hard working people who meet unrealistic expectations should be appreciated and acknowledged, not ridiculed and belittled. This is how you get your employees to continue to meet high expectations with a smile and not out of obligation. Happy employees make a company profitable.

Sourcing Coordinator

Former Employee - Sourcing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carter's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits, wonderful people to work with, amazing new corporate office, able to advance from within, matches donation contributions, great volunteer opportunities

Cons

The work life balance is difficult to achieve due to the long hours during busy seasons. This department can be stressful if you are not organized and able to multi-task

Advice to Management

I believe that there should be more training from the top down so that all levels within the department are aware of their position and their manager's position so that if there is movement from within the company there will be an easy transition into the same role.

8. Art Department is a great team

Former Employee - Creative Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Creative Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carter's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great office, great team, good place if you can do lots of different styles. Good training. Good place to start your art career.

Cons

Hard work. Not easy to move up out of art department. You need a thick skin and not take criticism too personally.

Advice to Management

Listen to the artists.

Middle of the Road

Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the greatest asset that the company has. Working for a company that is doing meaningful volunteer work and projects in the community is also rewarding.

Cons

The challenges are many. Low pay, no opportunity to advance and long hours are among the top struggles of working here. Also outdated systems and disorganization make work slow and tedious. As the company has shifted to a more corporate atmosphere, the employees that have been loyal have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employee more and not the bottom line.Without adequate pay, and work life balance, the company will continue to have unhappy employees and turnover.

10. Fun and Friendly environment

Former Employee - PT Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - PT Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carter's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are the company values. Everyone is treated with respect. Also, there is room for growth since the company prefers to promote from within. The work overload can be a bit much sometimes and late nights are expected.

Cons

The salary leaves much to be desired. I do not believe the pay matches the amount of work required. For a company that is expanding at such a fast rate. they should pay their employees more.

Advice to Management

Work in the stores from time to time to understand what the work is really like.

Not a good work experience

Current Employee - Retail Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing that makes Cartis tolerable at this point is it's work with the community.

Cons

There is no worklife balance. Upper management is rude and condescending. Upper management is demanding and uncompromising. HR is in support of upper management and does not listen to the staff. Carters is full of management who are undercutting and sneaky. Carters has a very bad culture due to upper management bringing their bad behavior from other companies.

Advice to Management

Senior executive staff needs to look at what's going on internally and put a stop to it soon. These type of reviews will continue and Carters will find it very difficult to find and keep talented people. Social media has made the world very small now and Carters bad culture will continue to be written about.