Carter's Reviews

179 reviews filtered by
3.3
Carter's CEO Mike Casey
Mike Casey

Pros
  • Very good people to work with but most are high school students with two other part-time jobs (in 7 reviews)

• The company is best suited for high school students and others seeking a part time job, or those with retail experience who desire management positions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not offer a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Reaching Store Manager position is difficult if you aren't chummy with the upper management outside of the store (in 8 reviews)

1. Enjoyed working here although some days are difficult

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA

I have been working at Carter's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours - I can usually get the days off that I need
    Great employees - Everyone is very friendly and helps you out if you need it
    Employee Discount - only 25% but when they have an employee appreciation weekend it bumps up to 30% and it applies to clearance and doorbuster items which normal coupons don't apply to

Cons

Call In shifts seem kind of pointless. They should just call employees if they're needed instead of having them call.
    Can't really control it, but rude customers, especially when they argue about the store policy which us associates can't control. Or customers that walk in a few minutes before we lock the doors and then stay shopping (shutting off the music doesn't always hurry them up either)
    Some days the store can be a complete disaster and it takes forever to recover.

Have a set schedule for the sales - the managers always seem to complain that they never know when sales are really going to end - sometimes they get extended.

2. Carter's expects the best by hiring the best.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Carter's

Pros

There are lots of great opportunities for growth.

Cons

Planning not always the best.

Better communication would help unexpected problems from happening.

Family oriented and cares about their employees.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee and consumer, I can stand behind the product.
    The company pays well.

Cons

The sale changes could be better organized.
    Open on thanksgiving day

More thought should be out into the sale changes; a lot of money is wasted on marketing. All upper management should work with their stores and get to know the dedicates staff

5. It was a low-key environment that was incredibly friendly people and management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Limerick, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Limerick, PA

I worked at Carter's

Pros

Very nice and accommodating management team. Upper DM's made everyone feel comfortable and relaxed and helped everyone to succeed.

Cons

Very dependable on specific employees because it was a very young work enviornment

6. Wish I could have worked there longer

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Carter's (less than a year)

Pros

Nice managers, Nice employees, Get tips and help from coworkers, Everyone is friendly

Cons

Not a lot of days that I worked,

7. Great company been with them for years.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Carter's

Pros

Great work life balance. Rarely is overtime asked of managers or associates. 401k has been matched 100% for the last few years!

Cons

Annual merit increases aren't great.

8. Selling your soul to the company store.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Braselton, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Braselton, GA

I have been working at Carter's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the benefits are pretty good. You get more PTO than anywhere else I have worked. Great co-workers to work with.

Cons

No balance between life and work. At the last minute, they will spring extra hours and/or extra days on your shift. It is the ONLY place I have worked that allows no sick days. You are expected to show up, on time, and stay the whole shift, every day, of the year. If you arrive late, points are added. If you leave early, points are added. If you are sick or some emergency comes up and you are scheduled to work, points are added for a call-out. No matter the reason, no matter if you have PTO to cover the time, if you are not there, on time, and stay the whole time, for any reason, you will have points added. You are expected to be trained in everything and not expected to ask for any more money. There is NO incentive to work harder then the production minimum. Everyone gets the same pay, and same raises until your second year... if you have not been fired for points. Communication is a joke!! From the CEO to the warehouse to the stores, and from one department to the next, it's everyone standing around scratching their heads. There is absolutely NO direction in the warehouse. Management expects every employee to respect them, but give NO employee any respect that is below their title. They claim to promote from within first. I have never seen that. New jobs, promotions or lateral moves, are immediately filled with temps. No notice about a job opening for interviews, just temps hired directly into those positions. HR is useless. You get the same lines... "I'll look into it." or "It will be fixed by the next paycheck." Nothing ever gets done. Complaints about anything other than another low level employee are greeted with, "What's with the attitude?" Whether that is HR, a supervisor, or management.

Respect your employees. We do all the hard work, we have to keep adjusting our lives because you feel it's a good time to make us work more hours, we are the ones yelled at when things get messed up because YOU can't figure out what's going on. Pull your heads out of your butts. Listen to your employees about what works, and what slows work down. Before enacting any kind of change, try looking at it from the employees perspective first.... even though I know that will NEVER happen!!

9. I love the people here, and the management team is amazing! It is a great work environment.

I have been working at Carter's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work with your schedule, great management team

Cons

low pay, rude customers, not enough hours

10. Fun fast paced work invironment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at Carter's

Pros

Encouraging management, fun coworkers and workplace. Fast paced work

Cons

Customers leaving piles and keeping employees past the close time only to buy an item for 3.99

11. Carter's Cares

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Carter's full-time

Pros

work-life balance, great working environment, company really cares.

Cons

Lack of process and clarity on future growth