Cartoon Network Reviews

Stuart C. Snyder

1. Simply the BEST!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Cartoon Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Simply the best place I have ever worked in my 37 year career. Great creative environment, respect for your skills, good schedules, good pay, lots of perks like barbecues and food treats, great location.

Cons

Umm...maybe have more Diet Cokes in the fridge? I honestly can't think of any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Fun, relaxed place to work!

Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cartoon Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are some of the best I've ever met in the industry. Sharp as tacks, warm and friendly, supportive, and always improving themselves, you will be blown away every day by the talent of the people you work with!

Work/life balance is the best I've ever seen. They are very cool about life emergencies coming up, let you work from home if you need to watch/pickup your kids, your car is in the shop, or the weather is bad. It's a really great place to work if you have kids or are hoping to. They even have "summer fridays" where you get out at 3pm on fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day! A big vacation days budget as well and you don't feel like a project will fall apart if you take vacation. They also have generous maternity and paternity leave & great benefits.

People in supervisor positions are wonderful. I haven't seen a single bad boss while there. They are all very kind, supportive, they help you improve instead of ordering you to, they're always on the pulse of something new and eager to discuss it with you, and they appreciate you when you do work hard. They have definitely had to tell me to relax and take it easy because I was working too hard, instead of demanding more out of me after I had been giving my all. When you have a problem, they listen and do their best to solve it for you.

They pay well, you get bonuses and a raise based on your performance review, and if you work hard you will be scored highly. It's also very women-friendly!

I'm sure I will think of more good things later, but overall I definitely recommend working here!

Cons

People don't leave, so moving upward or laterally is rare. They know how to strongly support the shows, but not many other kinds of products.

Working at the office in Atlanta means you don't work on content. You will work WITH people who make content off-site, and you help direct a lot of content, but people in this office generally don't CREATE the content. It's too bad, because the people working in the office are really talented!

Timelines, budgets, and the external vendors are often what hinder the quality of products that are put out rather than the talent of the people working in the office. Usually in the office you have little control over how a product comes out, it's all up to the quality of your vendor, the budget their given, and the time they are given.

It's very office-y. There's no dress code per se but most people dress in business casual. This may be a plus, but coming from game development where everyone wears a t-shirt and jeans it was a little disconcerting for me.

Advice to Management

Keep your supervisors and employees, they're all great!

Try and get some small projects going in the office. Even creating some minor content would be good. There's so many talented people working there, it's a shame that they aren't creating content!

As far as out-of-office projects, I'm not a business person, but maybe bigger budgets on fewer projects with longer timelines and using only the best vendors would bump the quality of our products up. Could still release smaller projects made by the internal staff.

Also, maybe add a marketing expert for the other products CN makes besides shows.

3. Glad to Have Been a Part of the Team!

Former Employee - Q&A Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Q&A Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cartoon Network

Pros

Great team, casual work environment, opportunity to work with video games, reasonable deadlines and expectations for work.

Cons

Security within the Turner complexes can be difficult at times, mild to moderate opportunities for advancement. Work can become repetitive at times.

5. production assistant

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Burbank, CA

I worked at Cartoon Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Perk lunches a few times

Cons

Had limited training, and therfore had trouble fulfilling some tasks

Advice to Management

More thorough training for certain tasks will help employees

6. Producer

Current Employee - Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Producer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cartoon Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-The people are the best. Many teams operate like a tight-knit family and support system.
    -Working for a network that encourages creativity and not going with the mainstream.

Cons

-Little growth
    -Poor pay
    -Not much transparency in decision making. Do not take into consideration opinions and learnings from middle management.

Advice to Management

-Listen to employees more
    -Understand what each employee brings to the table and how they can make the company better.

Good Animation company to work for.

Former Employee - Prop Designer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Prop Designer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Cartoon Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good facilities, comfortable work schedule, good pay.

Cons

Union rules makes it difficult to make deadlines sometimes. No other cons.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

8. I learned how to be a kid again while working here - you can't beat the audience!

I worked at Cartoon Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, audience, projects, continuing education (training, conferences), work-life balance, relaxed environment

Cons

office culture, lack of room & money for promotions, too many cooks for the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Very top heavy - creating more mid-level management could create a more balanced culture. Also, some team members who'd been there 8+ years became lazy and developed stagnant way of thinking - remove the dead weight.

9. Smart, Creative Environment

I worked at Cartoon Network

Pros

Strong, fun culture. Interesting projects involving content and tech.

Cons

Too many meetings, under resourced.

Model Designer

Current Employee - Model Designer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Model Designer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Cartoon Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Free Food (fruit on mondays, bagels on friday), Cereal/Chip/Candy/Icecream bar (while supplies last) Sometimes they give us cookies and snacks just in the kitchen
    -Excellent workspace (provide whatever you need to do your job)
    -Awesome co-workers, friendly and interesting
    -Soda machine
    -Cool interiors
    -Positive outlook, lot of great stuff coming up
    -Safe environment
    -Arcade and game areas
    -Cool rooftop area, great for dining and the semi-monthly barbecues during the summer
    -Free swag, cool christmas gift

Cons

-Minimal politics (varies between teams)
    -Houses teams in two separate buildings which can hinder things (not a major gripe, more of an observation)

Advice to Management

-Screen/treat your interns better. There have been plenty of interns who do so-so work and/or who talk to the point of being ineffective at their job. I know that they're excited to be at CN, but that doesn't excuse their lazy work ethic (IF THEY HAVE ONE). When an intern isn't doing their job correctly or becoming distracted in the workplace, please inform them of that; it does you no good when you complain about interns not doing what they're supposed to do, yet you're not doing anything to make the situation better. It does a disservice to everybody.

-Be a little more transparent when shows will be canceled and/or not renewed. It gives us a little bump of time to transfer to different teams or other studios.

-Also in addition to point one above, if ANYONE isn't doing their job, let them know and help them to become better. Griping about certain people is only making your job harder.

P.S. please bring back donut wednesdays! :)

11. Fun and comfortable place to work, but lacking in long-term vision and career growth.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cartoon Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, creative brand, convenient city

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, removed from main media hubs

Advice to Management

Need to establish ways to develop long-term employees for leadership positions or career movement.

RSS Feed </> Embed