Cartvertising Reviews

Doug Endsley

1. Field Sales

Current Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started as a Salesperson/IC 5 years ago. The territory I live in was highly saturated and I had to pick from stores that no one else wanted. Being self employed most of my life I just wanted to know what the incomes were of the people that were doing well, ($100k+), I found there were a lot of people in my area making this and much more. Because I have always been self employed I knew that I would have to start at the bottom and work my way up. I went out with a few other successful reps and saw that they were doing very well. After some research I was concerned that there might not be enough inventory for me to work in the area and all the "good stores" might already be sold. Having a successful past I always have had to work very hard to achieve anything worth while so I rolled up my sleeves and started to sell my first store. It was in a bad area of town and one of the stores no one else wanted. I was told I needed to either be making appointments to see people (by phone or walk ins) or in appointments making a sales presentation from 9 to 4 everyday if I wanted to make over $100k a year. I needed and wanted $200k +. I did what I was told and sold out my store within 2 weeks. I made well over $100k my first year and am over $300k now.. My aspirations are to be well over $400k soon.

Yes, I had to work hard, travel a bit and do what most of us salesreps don't like to do, cold call!!! But this business has changed my financial life! Over 50% of my business is renewal. I read another review on here where the person said the ads weren't of value, I have found just the opposite, if the customer understands what they are buying, a branding ad that puts them in front of their local clients multiple times a week, they never leave. I have talked to a few realtors, insurance sales people and others that have been advertising on carts for over 20 years!!!

If I had to start over from scratch looking for a new sales opportunity right now I would hope I made the same choice again.

Cons

Commission software needs improvement. I have to watch and track that I am being paid correctly every week. There are so many easy fixes to this, not sure why they don't take the time to pay attention to this. It only takes me 1/2 hour a week to reconcile so not a big deal considering how much money I make :-) But for a company this size I'm surprised they cant make it easier for us reps.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better software program!!!

Appointment Setter

I have been working at Cartvertising part-time

Pros

Pretty much everything...
    Work at home, base pay plus commissions and work with a company that cares!

Cons

I cant come up with one

Field Sales Rep

Former Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cartvertising

Pros

Some 'current' field sales reps seem to like the "uncapped" commission plan, the "flexible" schedule, that there is "no boss" breathing down their neck, that they get respect from their managers and peers, and that they can build their own book of business with "great" residual and renewal income. But ... read the Cons carefully.

Cons

Uncapped commissions?
    The point at which you get commission is relatively high, which means only at a certain point do you start to earn some commissions, and even then, it's on the lower end (15%) until you hit another level then it's 20% retroactive, and then 40% above that level. But, the catch is, can your sales territory reach the trigger commission level at all. If not, the company keeps all the income on the sold ads; you get none.

Just know that some cities or metro areas are more competitive than others and they have more business owners who believe in display advertising, even if their results can't be traced. You need enough business owners who believe in display advertising, because they see it primarily as 'brand' advertising, regardless of any way to trace effects. Just be clear on that. If you run into business owners who are picky about measuring their return on investment, you'll see no sales. If they start measuring the cost per ad per cart per month (e.g., if the six-month price divided 6, then by number of carts ... if they buy 20% of 200 carts or 40 carts ... hypothetically, you have say $1400 / six months / six is $233/month by 40 carts/month is $5.85 / cart per month ... ). Plus, be sure the reported "number of customers' per week is a true figure, since store managers differ; some say receipts, and some think receipts equals customers, when it only means purchases which are often the same local customers. Most stores have the majority of their locals shop there. So, 15,000 receipts per week is definitely not 15,000 people, it's 15,000 purchase from among the few thousand locals who shop on average three times per week. That's a lot of 'visibility' opportunities ... chance they will see the ad (no guarantee, of course), but among the repeat shopping locals. Be clear about that, or you are misrepresenting the data.

Some cities and towns don't sell as well as others; some cities and towns seem to have more of the ROI seeking business owners. Don't let anyone fool you about that. If they deny this, cut the discussion short and find something else to do.

Also, know that you can only sell up to six businesses per store. So, this caps your income potential, no matter what 'unlimited income' you are led to believe about that.

And, know that the folks who are making six figures at this business are working 40+ hours per week, including weekends at times, and are away from home a lot, as they are selling in cities and towns far from home. That's the truth.

Flexibility in your schedule?
    Not really. You pretty much have to work full time at it to build up to a living income, if you have cities and towns with enough believers in this sort of advertising.

No 'boss' breathing down your back?
    Eh, the indirect effect of whether you join any team conference calls is there.

Respect of managers and peers?
    It depends on the team and the manager. Reportedly, there really is no teamwork. For example, you never know who is vying for what territory may be near you or not. There's no visibility on that; no sharing about it; no communications among the so-called 'team.' So, the effect really is 'every man for himself.'

Build your own book of business?
    Sure, if the territory has people who believe in display advertising, as I said earlier. But even still, you have to have enough of those who believe the cart ads will do them some good. And, reportedly, you have to go through many hundreds of business 'leads' (up to 900 hundred? and they not truly leads when they are simply names of local businesses) just to find the handful of those who will take an appointment just to find out what it's about.

Decide now (during the first meeting)
    And, they 'decide now' tactic that is brought to the initial appointment can seem too pressured or manipulative to some. That approach seems to be evolving, as some reps are finding it's good to send full information about how it works ahead of the appointment and calling to confirm after the owner understands the program.

Exclusive category
    This is just not true. The contract says it isn't. Ask to read the contract back page, and you'll see it clearly stated that there's no exclusivity. This is one area where anyone from Cartvertising telling you it's exclusive is really lying. If you don't mind lying about this, you'll be fine.

Residual and renewal income?
    I got the impression, perhaps mistaken, that the renewal rate is really not that high. So, you are constantly chasing new business. This means the reported income levels from renewals and 'residuals' (as some call it) that are touted are not really achieved in certain areas.

Other points not made by anyone ... yet
    I discovered that the rate sheet was almost never followed. The ad space was consistently sold at half or near half that listed on the rate sheet. The process is to hope the buyer is okay with the rate, but if not, start offering deals like going up a level for the same price, or lowering the prices for speedier payment ... etc. This is different from most fixed rate, lower price point display advertising. Just know that it's your choice to offer the advertising anywhere below the rate sheet, down to the lowest acceptable level that Cartvertising allows, and keep that firmly in mind. Otherwise, you'll be at a loss as to what to charge. Some just use the lowest rate always and don't bother playing a negotiating game.

Advice to Management

Some things could be improved ... e.g., offer a lower commission point with a higher commission rate; offer more frequent ad rotations, as some business owners would love monthly rotations and other cart ad companies offer this; make sure everyone is telling the truth and not misrepresenting the data points, look into true teamwork among your various 'contractors' ...

Excellent

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited Income, flexible schedule. This is the only job I know of where a high school graduate can make more income consistently than someone who went to college for 6 years. I saw a review whereby someone listed a "Con" as having to be "self motivated". You should be self motivated in any job, and in any area in your life. If you are looking to clock in at $10 per hour and just watch time go by, than this is not the job for you. However, if you are looking to make $100,000 + per year, yes it requires some self motivation and discipline. I thank God everyday for this job. I also saw another review where the author said that this shopping cart program is a hard sell. If you are honest with prospective clients by telling them that this is the only product that is literally put in the hands of your potential customers at the busiest place in any community, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, 2-3x per week, week after week, month after month, than it is not a "hard sell". This is exactly what the program is and does. This program is hands down the best advertising any small to medium size business can do. And, it is by far one of the best paying jobs in the industry.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Upbeat!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good balance between work/family
    Management is positive and pro-active
    Colleagues are supportive and work together well

Cons

Recruiting office is small and with the amount of recruiters, it often gets loud and ends up sounding like a telemarketing center, which can be a put off to prospective candidates. Larger space would be nice :)

Advice to Management

Implement a bonus program!

7. Pleasant working environment!

Current Employee - Recruiting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cartvertising is a great company to work for. Great advertising/marketing avenue for Professionals such as Doctors, Attorneys, Realtors, etc. to take advantage of verses a billboard, radio, or TV advertising. Management allows independence so you're allowed to get your creative juices flowing without have someone breathing down your neck. Cartvertsing is a family oriented business, down to earth, and fun type of environment. No one is "uptight" which allows one to be yourself. It's so important to work at a company that feels like second family since you're spending 80% of your time at there. It feels good to tell people you work for a company that represents thousands of grocery chains nationwide. What other company does that? No one. We are the leader in the industry and I am proud to be apart of this organization.

Cons

Closed minded, small thinking people who do not see the value of the company. People have no idea the type of money you can make with us. There are sales reps making a quarter to half a million dollars selling our product. It's a shame people can't simply put their mind to something and work hard to make the income they deserve. We are sitting on a gold mine and simply trying to give others the opportunity to have a lucrative income without ever wanting for anything.

Advice to Management

Implement a 401K plan.

Deceiving, Expensive, Hard Sell

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Cartvertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You made your own schedule. Good Commission

Cons

The product is a hard sell. Trying to convince someone shoppers actually look at shopping cart advertisements is quite difficult. Any purchaser who understands basic conversion rates(about 3% for ads) would know it is not financially sound to spend $3000 on advertising when a 3% response will not cover the initial "investment" of the advertising campaign.

Companies that do understand this are much larger in scale, have a much higher basket price for their goods( Car dealerships, TV /Electronic Stores, etc) and already advertise on every media stream available( tv, radio, newspaper, billboards, etc) so carts would honestly not be financially sound for them.

The Cost of the advertisements is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD. The ad holders can be purchased on Alibaba for pennies on the dollar. The cost to print the ads is MINIMAL( search online it is NOT expensive) Installation of them is super easy, to be honest the installers have the best gig of all!!

The "ad" designs SUCK.These "ads" are essentially giant business cards..and Mobile business cards are POINTLESS. Anyone who understands adverting knows ads need to be SIMPLE. One picture...a line of text..and a business name..THAT'S IT! NOTHING MORE!

They hire you as a "Territory Sales Representative" but you are really a "Territory Telemarketer"

Telemarketing scripts...do I need to explain more?

No concern for the customers, just pitch to them and take their money.

Advice to Management

Lower prices, fix your reputation!! and respond to online complaints, learn what push/pull and drip marketing are. Your company is not well known, this is a HUGE problem.

5 months working for Cartvertising as an Appointment Setter, plan to advance and turn it into my career

Current Employee - Appointment Setter in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Appointment Setter in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Cartvertising part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provides a great product you can be proud to represent, relatively simple job to perform everyday from home, opportunities to advance and have a great career with generous commission.

Cons

None that i've experienced or heard anyone else has in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Excellent Company & Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of office support and teamwork environment. Great owners and managers that truly care about the company and the employees. This is an overall great place to work, with lots of great people. I really look forward to coming here every day.

Cons

Workload and no 401K in place.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, or move current employees around to help in areas where the workload is very heavy and difficult to manage. Add a 401K.

An exciting company to work for,, with responsive caring management at all levels.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cartvertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Unlimited earning potential.
    2. Exciting fun job for the sales professional.
    3. A great job for a people person that enjoys life, and meeting new people every day.
    4. Not the dull office cubical job, or sales job with low pay and commission structure.
    5. A high earnings sales job without a strict schedule and no nights or weekends.

Cons

1. No salary for new sales trainees
    2. No company cars

Advice to Management

Develop a comprehensive paid training program for qualified sharp fresh sales talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed