Carvel

Add Photos

Russ Umphenour

Carvel Manager

Manager Carvel Medford (Former Employee) Medford, NY

ProsFun,Fast paced, unlimited ice cream, interaction with customers, personal growth and social skills

ConsAlways standing, can be stressful in the summertime, no where to grow as a career.

Advice to Senior Managementone female manager needs to go she has an attitude problem and doesn't care if she is rude to customers, will even pick fights with them and always has a rude attitude when helping customers, will have a hissy fit if it is not her way and gives away product like it is nothing because its her "friends". owner is nice but can take better care of his employees he underpays managers especially head manager she deserves more then anyone there and should be paid more so she can eventually retire and enjoy her life in peace. also he can be around his store to know whats going on behind his back or sell it already.

Carvel

ProsGet to eat all the ice cream you want

ConsPays Only Minimum Wage. But is likely to get a 25 cent raise after your first couple of months .

Training sucked and the owners were overbearing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of free ice cream!

ConsOverbearing owners, less than intelligent coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for good employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsLearn how deal with customer, maintenance all different kind of ice cream machine. Learn how to decorate cakes and holiday novelties,
    ice cream enthusiasts!

ConsLabor intensive, cleaning during off peak season and a lot of learning to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Lots of work, little pay

Cashier/Server (Former Employee) New Rochelle, NY

ProsFlexible Schedule
    Long Hours
    Great if you like to interact with people
    Free IceCream
    Mostly chill workplace

ConsNO management
    NO overtime
    When there is no customers you spend so much time cleaning

Advice to Senior ManagementGROW UP

Great first job

Cake Decorator (Former Employee) Hopewell Junction, NY

Pros- fun, good environment
    - was offer opportunities to grow and gain more responsibilities, along with more pay.
    - great place to work my first job

Cons- overprotective manager of the store
    - fewer hours in the winter but that wasn't anyone's fault.

Carvel isn't the greatest place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Islip, NY

ProsVery clean standards, a lot of business, a lot of tips, eat whatever you want and take home some things if you want

ConsTerrible management, treated employees like dirt, if you were working 4-10pm.. don't expect to be home until 1 AM, obnoxious hours, so much cleaning and responsibility, and there were thieves of the cash register in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in security cameras, and do not make a thief a head manager. Have actual guidelines and STICK TO THEM, raise the salary from minimum because of the responsibility employees have and the duties they complete.

Great place for high school or college work

Server (Former Employee) Westport, CT

ProsI don't know much about the corporate level of Carvel, but working there for close to five years through college and after graduation, they constantly tried new initiatives and products to garner a broader appeal, especially in regards to keeping up with competing ice cream bakeries.

Because it's a franchise, I can't speak for all Carvels, only the one I worked for and under the previous owner (I left after the new owner came in and changed pretty much everything to less of a democracy).

BUT, as far as a fun place to work, it was definitely that. Because we were open year-round, I was able to get a lot of homework done while working in the winter-time, which was great. But, come summer, you were really earning those dollars. But, I have to say, I think the reason I loved it so much was because of the people, especially the owner who grew up working there and bought the business from her father who opened it.

I worked in a Carvel in a snobby-esque town and, even though some of the customers were stuck up and snobby (god FORBID you run out of fat free ice cream!), most of them were wonderful and I loved some of the regulars we had. It was like Cheers, but with ice cream instead of beer.

When I went to a corporate function once (my boss asked if I would dress as Fudgie the Whale for a conference in our state, hahaha), it wasn't boring at all and most other owners and managers present seemed enthusiastic about their jobs and positions.

Overall, a great place to work, although it doesn't really translate well on a resume for a completely different job...but if you're going into the food industry, it can work in your favor.

ConsIt's a franchise so I don't really know how well working at one can translate to "moving up" in the company, as far as going from a store to a corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Also, don't change too much—some of the best and most loyal customers are those who knew the original product and loved it.

Great Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe building and workspace were clean.

ConsThere wasn't enough room for growth.

I've been working there for 2 years

ProsVery very very very easy job

ConsAnnoying annoying annoying annoying customers

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job

Worked for Carvel? Contribute to the Community!