Cascades Reviews

3.3
Cascades President, CEO, and Director Alain Lemaire
Alain Lemaire

1. unpredictable

Pros

Company provides training for all aspects of location

Cons

Busi b essential is unpredictable

2. Company has lost its ways

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Cascades (Less than a year)

Pros

It's difficult to find positive things to say about Cascades if you're a US based employee. The company just recently announced that many positions would be transferred to Canada at the expense of US workers. Career opportunities are also greatly diminished as a result of these changes.

Cons

Cascades used to be a great place to work for but the last couple of years have been very difficult and demotivating. The company is trying to transform itself from a decentralized model to a centralized one by pushing shared services and moving the decision making all back to Canada. You could argue that this makes financial sense but the senior management just does not have what it takes to execute such a major transformation.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots and respect the values that the organization was built on. Here they are in case you've forgotten them: respect, autonomy, communication, initiative, team work and adaptability.

3. Concerned Employee

I have been working at Cascades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an amazing history. It was founded by three brothers back in the 60s and the company grew very quickly. The founders of the company (though retired) still visit plants and talk with everyone on the floor. From the highest levels the respect of employees at every level was valued, and all were treated as partners. By far, this company has some of the most passionate and amazing people who I have ever had the pleasure to work with. One year ago I would have said with 99% certainty that I would have worked for this company for the rest of my life.

Cons

There are some managers who seem like they are more focused on pursuit of their careers than building a team the right way. The situation that I am in is what is prompting my current job search. I absolutely love this company, but the situation that I am in has me fighting the urge to give my notice without even having another job to go to. I would not let this stop you from working for this company though, I would just urge you to talk to some employees in the plant where you will be working to get a feel for the working conditions. Again this company has some of the greatest people who I have ever worked with.

Advice to Management

As with health and safety, every manager should have quarterly evaluations on the core values. Additionally, I would have an area where employees anonymously evaluate their direct managers. In many ways Cascades is changing, and it needs to, but I hope that the core values will not be sacrificed in order to realize those changes. There are ways to leverage the company's size without sacrificing the people who helped build the company.

5. Great

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Very motivating, challenging and a nice work group. Great value for skill sets A friendly work environment Dedicated Senior leadership

Cons

Not so great pay. The hikes after annual reviews aren't proportional to your efforts. Very limited opportunities to improve domain knowledge

6. Challenging Work - Hardly any work life balance

Former Employee - Accountant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cascades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work. Lots of responsibility and opportunities to see different aspects of the company. Due to the close knit business culture, very hard to move around the company and growth. Salary compensation is very good.

Cons

Poor planning from upper management on projects. Almost no work-life balance. Asked to work on weekends and statutory holidays with no compensation.

Advice to Management

All the issues about heavy workload is due to lack of personnel. All divisions treated the same even though some divisions require more help than others.

7. Great employer for University grads, can stifle creativity at more senior levels

I worked at Cascades full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to start your career, willing to give opportunitites to bright and eager university grads. A collegial environment where collaboration and respect are keys to success. Strives to be people friendly and generally receptive to new ideas. Strong Pro-Environment focus in every aspect of managing the business. Very smart CEO.

Cons

Competitiveness of payscale is slightly below market in certain jobs, but opportunity for profit sharing can be quite interesting. HR could use an infusion of creativity.

Advice to Management

Make sure your focus on divisional accountability to profitability does not create silos in the company culture, especially when it comes to the divisions working with Head Office.

8. its a great place to work

Current Employee - Cascades in Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cascades in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cascades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

its a great place to work

Cons

it has no cons, its a great place to work

9. Not bad for a newly grad

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Compensation is fair and Not bad for a newly grad

Cons

No career advancement and does provide formal training

10. stagiaire

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Candiac, QC (Canada)
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Candiac, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Cascades as an intern

Pros

-belle culture d'entrerprise -environnement de travail stimulant -des gens qui sont pasionnés

Cons

-très conventionnel -le siège social est à Kingsey Falls

Advice to Management

L'entreprise devrait se pencher sur les problématiques en santé et mieux-être au travail!

11. Super entreprise, avec des supérieurs ouverts et flexibles qui sont tjr a votre écoute. Entreprise familliale

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Cascades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ambiance avec de super collègues de bureau - Flexibilité du temps de travail - Bcp d'opportunité

Cons

- Salaire que je trouve un peu bas pour un diplôme d'ingénieur - Les méthodes de travail sont pas tjr abouties

RSS Feed </> Embed