Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
2.2
Derald Walker

1. Cascadia is a fantastic agency!

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare (more than a year)

Pros

Talented, dedicated, hard-working staff (line-staff to leadership). Very difficult work done by people who really care about our clients, the community and each other. Able to navigate growing pains thoughtfully. Cascadia is like a little town, with a variety of personalities, cultures and experience and it is inspiring to be part of a community, like Cascadia, that doesn't shy away from difficult situations or opportunities to grow intrinsically. I would say that the people of Cascadia are the kind of people who WILL make the world a better place. In fact, Cascadians ARE making the world a better place! Leaders value all staff and are working hard to make sure each and every Cascadian feels it!

Cons

My cons are about society not providing enough funding and compassion to organizations like Cascadia who are on the front line working to improve individual lives of people suffering from mental illness and/or addiction and in doing so, Cascadia is strengthening the community. I find it appalling that groups like Cascadia and its community partners have to chase the same money leaving someone unable to provide necessary services.

Keep enhancing/strengthening communication (its making a difference!), keep focused on equity and inclusion (it matters, its relevant and we're grateful for this work), keep visiting sites and getting to know staff (we feel great when we see you!)... keep being innovative and courageous!

2. Loved the clients, Awful exp with supervisor

Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loved the residents that I worked with. There were certainly days that were tougher than others, but I really enjoyed working with all of them and still miss them and think about them often.

Cons

Pay is not equivalent to the work expected from the employees (though this is a general problem in this field of work). The checks and balances in place for supervisory staff are poor if not completely lacking. Expectation levels are not clearly outlined until you are being written up for not meeting them.

Standardization across how employees are treated and how expectations are conveyed would go a long way in avoiding issues at individual residence programs throughout the company.

Awful management, very disorganized.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Though my job title is "residential counselor," my basic responsibilities consisted of mopping and doing laundry for clients who should've been placed in a much higher level of care. Their idea of "transitional" residency consists of keeping clients for decades while not helping them prepare for the real world at all.

Cons

The challenges are many, they overwork their employees. PTO is generous but you never get a chance to use it. Once I was asked if I could stay to cover a coworker's shift, next thing I knew I had worked 24 hours straight with no overtime pay.

Provide more opportunities for advancement, pay competitive salary and don't use misleading job titles to create an air of importance when they're effectively doing nothing.

QMHA

Current Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent paid time off. Insurance is reasonable.

Cons

Minimal if any cost of living raises. Not enough guidance to assist line staff in working directly with people who have severe mental illness. Supervision is sparse and irregular.

Train staff as much as you can who are interacting with clients the most and include line staff in decisions.

Most unprofessional employer!!!

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Pros

Nothing those who quit said they are glad they quit!!!!

Cons

Cascadia supervisors are the most unprofessional and uneducated people I have ever seen. The supervisors bully, retaliate and fight any employee who speak the truth!! Not do they only bully employees that speak the truth, but they also tell other employees to help bully, fight and retaliate that employee who speak the truth.

Educate your employees especially the supervisors!!! Stop promoting people who are under educated in a supervisor position.

I have grown here and feel supported by my supervisors and coworkers. The benefits are phenomenal / affordable medical and generous time off.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

Pros

Benefits are very generous in the way of paid time off and excellent medical care. Double time paid on holidays, extra bonuses for working a double.

Cons

Well what to say in 20 words. Pay is competitive, even though this field pays notoriously low, but this agency still pays more than some others.

Boundaries could be more clear in the role of harm reduction in order to create therapeutic value in the milieu.

Constant chaos in management

Current Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the clients. Good PTO. I have great respect for most of my coworkers who work really hard and truly care.

Cons

It's about billing. Quantity over Quality is the rule. They push you and push you and continually add more and more work without listening to the staff who suffer. There are constantly shifts open, people being frozen on shifts being forced to work 16 hour shifts because turn over is so high.
    Clients suffer because of high turn over and burn out by staff. The truest mentally ill are being warehoused.

I've been in this field for three decades and can say this is the worst company I've worked for.

Stop going to staff meeting and claim you want to change things. READ THIS site and take the feedback to one of your meetings.

rough

Former Employee - RC II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - RC II in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

pto, which you can never use because getting coverage is impossible

Cons

I am sad that the clients have to deal with such high turn over. Unfortunately, this company has low pay, high burn-out, and poor management. But my real concern is with the cookie cutter style of medication. Every client is on the same meds with very little variation beside the titrating amounts. Employees joke about it but it's not funny. Why are all your clients on the exact same drugs when they have different symptoms? How do they all have the same diagnosis when they clearly present very differently? There is something so shady about how they are doing business. Forget that if you work there you won't feel like your opinion is valued or that "tattling" on your co-workers is encourage. How has this company not been investigated when all it's client are diagnosed with the same thing and all are on the same medication?

Raises. And not just when someone moves around the facilities and job titles so they have more "experience". Find the few employees that stick around at the job they have and reward them. Like the Residential Counselor that has been at one job location with one job title long enough to see a change in management 3 times (over 2 years). Find that employee. Reward them. They are your biggest asset.

Poor work environment

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is relatively easy, which can be good and bad. I worked in the outpatient side, which had good hours.

Cons

Incredibly disorganized. Very little continuity in work practices from one clinic to the next. Very little security in outpatient, which can be scary, especially considering the population served.

Risky

Former Employee - Skills Trainer in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Skills Trainer in Gresham, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare (more than a year)

Pros

Some interesting people and pto.

Cons

If you are not a member of the lbgt crowd you will never go anywhere in the company.

Stop the reverse discimination