Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Updated May 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Derald Walker

A dedicated organization committed to those it serves

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood opportunity to make a contribution towards making a difference in our community. Dedicated people, great PTO, Improvements being made on salaries.

ConsPay scale is at the low end.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work toward building a healthy culture - the 'us vs them' has to go. Might consider education assistance - tuition reimbursement to encourage employee development.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sickness, attracts sickness

Skills Trainer (Former Employee) Springfield, OR

ProsAssisting chronically mentally-ill folks in having some semblance or normalcy in their lives and assistance with stabilization/home-life.

ConsSupervisors in middle mgmt. were micromanagers and were constantly asking peer-workers to tattle on one another. It breeds an environment of mistrust. Poor skills, in supervisors treating their worker bees with respect and realizing how to utilize talents and skills so that clients and staff thrive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose that spend their days with the clients know a heck of a good deal more being that they are hands-on. Try not to let your degree make you think you know more, that you are somehow superior in your opinion...and provide staff with positive feedback. These jobs are not easy and staff need people on their sides supporting them, not working against them. Senior management should supply staff leaving with an exit interview so that they can get feedback on how their site supervisors verbally-abuse staff.

underpaid and exhausted

Counselor III (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to serve a population of clients that really needs help.

Consunderpaid. undertrained management. they wont let the workers unionize. company has little to no respect for its workers. The company runs its workforce into the ground. There are little to no ways to move up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre but serves a purpose

Residential Counselor II (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros*Known provider of mental health services (semi decent reputation in the community)
    *Lots of free training
    *Large amount of PTO as well as extended illness bank accrual
    *Very good health benefits, mandatory unless the employee has other coverage and price dependent on full time eligibility
    *Great co-workers who are generally committed to helping people recover from symptoms of persistent and severe mental illness
    *Schedule can be flexible depending on work function and supervisor
    *Some room for advancement, but a greater need for people at the bottom rung of the profession
    *Knowing your work literally keeps people off the street and out of Oregon State Hospital is a blessing

Cons*Severely lacking middle management, a regular Joe doesn't get enough exposure to upper management to even know how competent they are, but they appear to be exceedingly self-congratulatory
    *Employees are treated per the title of their position and relationship to their boss, not their true achievements nor potential
    *Company still recovering from crisis of 2008-very few raises, little room to negotiate salary
    *Some not-so-great employees appear immune to any discipline
    *Safety concerns at job sites continue to go unaddressed
    *Some clients do not seem to be well matched to their programs
    *While Cascadia maintains very long and detailed job descriptions, who is and/or should be doing what can be very confusing, and there is often a diffusion of job responsibilities

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of us are thrilled that Cascadia is even still in business. In that sense, the bar is not set very high, and given that we have many exceptional people on board it seems extremely unfortunate that they should be bogged down with low standards and unprofessional peers. I'm not sure how it is known that morale is so abysmal except through sites like these but I can confirm it's true. When you get an earful about how much long term employees hate their jobs during your very first shift change with them it's hard to be particularly optimistic about the establishment. Yet it's also a fitting introduction to a position that will produce similar emotions to most employees within the first couple months and a reminder that while many employees are not 100% happy, they are either stuck for some reason or not unhappy enough to just leave. I appreciate that the dialogue from leadership is one of making the workplace better but also respect that many of my co-workers aren't feeling much of a change.

To me, it's a sad state of affairs when budget makers and pencil pushers are exalted over people responsible for more direct care oriented duties, though this movement is definitely not unique to the agency. Just like others, CBH really is asked to perform miracles with what they are supposed to be doing with what they are getting to work with. I understand fully that without billing and administration we have nothing to offer clients, but I would appreciate feeling like it even matters whether or not I complete even the most perfunctory objectives of my job. I've seen both terrible and inspirational workers at CBH and their treatment and opportunities given never seem to be hinged on those real characteristics, rather based on who is in cahoots with whom and other components not really based on quality of performance.

Please address or at least explore the departmental specific strife and attempt even more transparency, if not for the staff, for the clients.

What a joke.

ProsMost of the clients are great.

ConsI really do hope people will take the time to read this...
    Cascadia has got to be one of the most pathetic companies to work for. Extremely low pay with no raises. Ever. Period. Management is terrible, especially at the site where I worked. The supervisor acted like more of a "friend" to staff, making it impossible for them to appropriately supervise like they should be. Lots of boundaries were constantly being crossed. Everyone was so intertwined in each other's personal lives, even with the clients, it was horrible.

If a staff member did something wrong ie. not sign the narc book (which is a huge deal), or they just constantly were calling out (even though they're a full time employee), the supervisor would have a staff meeting to approach the situation in a roundabout manner rather than directly speaking with that staff member alone. One employee went as far as cussing out a client, yet somehow is still employed with Cascadia. Another employee wrote in the narc book that they accidentally gave a ct the wrong meds, but that they weren't even sure which client it was. Again, that staff member is still employed. I've heard it's literally impossible to get fired from Cascadia... No matter how terrible an employee is, no matter how often they call out, no matter how many med errors they make, no matter how they treat the clients, they will be guaranteed a job at Cascadia until they themselves resign. Ridiculous.

I cannot even fathom how anyone would want a career with Cascadia. I can honestly say this is the one job I've had where I had ZERO respect for my supervisor and felt like I was working with thee most incompetent people you could ever find. The clients could have very easily done a better job working than most of the staff members. Cascadia apparently has zero standards for who they hire. Don't even get me started on the case managers who worked at the site I did. Wow, what a joke. If there is ever a time where you are feeling desperate for a job and you see Cascadia is hiring, my advice would be to RUN! Run in the opposite direction fast. There's a very good reason turnover in this company is frequent; ppl are wising up and leaving this travesty of a company. Those who remain employed with Cascadia for long periods of time only stay because they're shitty workers and get away with doing virtually nothing and know they wouldn't be able to get a job elsewhere... Or they might be able to get a job somewhere else but would be immediately fired. You know, because most other companies actually have policies and procedures that they follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange everything.

Management unresponsive, unaccountable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMy co-workers were great to work with, and really good with clients. This company manages to hire a lot of really good staff, they just can't retain them, because of all the cons (see below).

ConsLow pay, and no regularly occurring raises. Really low staff morale, due to frequent undermining and poor treatment of employees by upper management. High staff turnover which negatively affects clients and other staff alike. Upper management does not train new managers well, so the employees who work under them end up doing the bulk of the training. Few perks, and zero appreciation from the bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are the problem at Cascadia. The wrong people are promoted and hired into management. The people who work hard for you every day deserve respect and appreciation. Cascadia has quite the reputation around Portland, and it is not a good one.

QMHA

Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA) (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosdecent co-workers.....some young with little life experience but nice and friendly at least.

ConsThe absolute worse employer I have ever had in my 25 yrs as a BSW......low morale, no pay raises in almost 4 yrs.....oops forgot about the quarter (25 cent) raise but that was a slap in the face to all of us hard workers who work with very difficult clients. It would of been better if they kept their 25 cents per hour and just said we cannot afford raises.

Cascadia has it's ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFlexibility, great co-workers, important work

Conslow salary, not enough resources, no rewards for longevity

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your workers more often

Upper Management Incompetent and Questionable Ethics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMost of my co-workers were awesome (clinical staff). Lots of clients who needed help, good chance to gain experience.

ConsThe people in upper management are totally disengaged from what actually goes on at the clinical sites from day to day. They are condescending towards the line and clinical staff, do not reward or appreciate hard work, and send mixed messages

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some boundaries. Stop trying to impress each other with how tolerant and sensitive you think you are because you hire a person with minority status, and hire and promote your best workers. The management at this company sucks big time.

Awesome Place to Work

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsExcellent PTO package, friendly staff and warm work environment

ConsAs it is a non-profit agency, it is subject to lay offs and the pay is lower than average

Worked for Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!