Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Derald Walker

Mental Health

Current Employee - Skills Trainer
    Current Employee - Skills Trainer

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, great coworkers, care about diversity

Cons

underpaid, overworked, high turnover, lack of support for direct care providers

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees. High turnover

Qhma 2

Former Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA)II in East Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA)II in East Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time

Pros

There was a lot of dedicated staff and hard working with clients and other staff. There was some good supervisors that worked hard. and knew what they were doing. A lot of staff worked but became burned out and moved on.

Cons

There were some supervisors who vindictive and should not work with a goat,because the goat is to smart.for them. The upper echelon should control their supervisors more, because at some facilities are out of control and they have no clue what is going on.If you are not in the clique you will be ostricised and your job atmosphere will become miserable.

Advice to Management

Watch your supervisors more closely. Some of those leaders have more problems than the clients and are very vindictive to line staff and this causes the burn-out at one secure unit unnamed.

Do not work here!!!

Former Employee - QMHP
    Former Employee - QMHP

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guaranteed hours for licensure due to LARGE case load, plenty of paid time off, which is frowned upon if you take.

Cons

Where do I start? High turnover, from upper management to support staff. Lack of communication and follow-through between upper management and CEO. Upper management often answers with, "that's just the way it is." High stress with high risk clients, low pay, high burnout, unorganized agency, overall sense that you're just a warm body, easily replaceable, toxic work environment, too many clients not enough time to see them, understaffed.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure they care, or will understand the advice I have to give. So it's useless.

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Pros

Hard workers, Great clients, Dedicated leadership, good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Pay isn't reflective of effort or staff value

Advice to Management

Keep advocating for the needs of clients

Admin Assistant

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time

Pros

Compassion for clients is true!

Cons

Staff are micro managed. Favoritism exists for positions. One staff person was promoted because her best friend was in the position to do so. Staff are promoted to supervisor positions that have no experience that is required in the job description.

Advice to Management

Go back to the trainings you provide and practice what you preach. Provide good examples instead of parading that you are more important than the staff that get the job done!

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Current Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always hiring, they're making some changes that could be decent, ok benefits/pay. Good foot in the door for mental health. Non direct care positions don't seem so bad.

Cons

Administration. So much of it and it's a joke. Management is famously awful. Prepare for burnout and little recognition for a tough job in the lower levels.

Advice to Management

Where does the care start? Is it gonna trickle down someday? Because getting little support when dealing with acute folks is not gonna keep good people around.

Loved the clients, Awful exp with supervisor

Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the residents that I worked with. There were certainly days that were tougher than others, but I really enjoyed working with all of them and still miss them and think about them often.

Cons

Pay is not equivalent to the work expected from the employees (though this is a general problem in this field of work). The checks and balances in place for supervisory staff are poor if not completely lacking. Expectation levels are not clearly outlined until you are being written up for not meeting them.

Advice to Management

Standardization across how employees are treated and how expectations are conveyed would go a long way in avoiding issues at individual residence programs throughout the company.

Awful management, very disorganized.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor II in Portland, OR

Pros

Though my job title is "residential counselor," my basic responsibilities consisted of mopping and doing laundry for clients who should've been placed in a much higher level of care. Their idea of "transitional" residency consists of keeping clients for decades while not helping them prepare for the real world at all.

Cons

The challenges are many, they overwork their employees. PTO is generous but you never get a chance to use it. Once I was asked if I could stay to cover a coworker's shift, next thing I knew I had worked 24 hours straight with no overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for advancement, pay competitive salary and don't use misleading job titles to create an air of importance when they're effectively doing nothing.

Cascadia is a fantastic agency!

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Talented, dedicated, hard-working staff (line-staff to leadership). Very difficult work done by people who really care about our clients, the community and each other. Able to navigate growing pains thoughtfully. Cascadia is like a little town, with a variety of personalities, cultures and experience and it is inspiring to be part of a community, like Cascadia, that doesn't shy away from difficult situations or opportunities to grow intrinsically. I would say that the people of Cascadia are the kind of people who WILL make the world a better place. In fact, Cascadians ARE making the world a better place! Leaders value all staff and are working hard to make sure each and every Cascadian feels it!

Cons

My cons are about society not providing enough funding and compassion to organizations like Cascadia who are on the front line working to improve individual lives of people suffering from mental illness and/or addiction and in doing so, Cascadia is strengthening the community. I find it appalling that groups like Cascadia and its community partners have to chase the same money leaving someone unable to provide necessary services.

Advice to Management

Keep enhancing/strengthening communication (its making a difference!), keep focused on equity and inclusion (it matters, its relevant and we're grateful for this work), keep visiting sites and getting to know staff (we feel great when we see you!)... keep being innovative and courageous!

QMHA

Current Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent paid time off. Insurance is reasonable.

Cons

Minimal if any cost of living raises. Not enough guidance to assist line staff in working directly with people who have severe mental illness. Supervision is sparse and irregular.

Advice to Management

Train staff as much as you can who are interacting with clients the most and include line staff in decisions.

RSS Feed </> Embed