Case-Mate

Needs better management

Sales (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Case-Mate full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture and great people to work with.

ConsManagement and communication need some improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be better if executive members can share more of what's going on behind the meeting room and stop making empty promises.

Great start, messy ending

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe only reason worth staying would be the people you get to work with at your level. But they're mostly laid off or left.

ConsIt was a great company to work at 2 years ago. The CEO has a bit too much pride and took it too personal when people left. Management was too immature and everyone is a yes man to the CEO. Otherwise it could've been a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest the CEO to re-evaluate the upper management and clean up the people who aren't doing really contributing in the management section.

There are two different worlds in this company

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than a year

ProsThe good world: great place to make friends among peers. Great culture initiative by allowing dogs, flexible hours, gatherings, fun events. Great products!

ConsThe bad world: immature upper management doesn't know how to control the business.

Poor decisions cost a lot of money and all goods intentions go sour in tough times. Tons of money flushed on a lower end brand launch, constant packaging changes and marketing strategy shifts. Sales knew those weren't the right moves, but upper management didn't listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop going zigzag to reach a goal. Stick with one strategy and work on it straight for some time. Maybe the new brand positioning will survive. Hope it's not to late!

Stay away

Tucker, GA

I have been working at Case-Mate full-time

Proscasual work environment, dogs, fun people, maybe good for your first job to start a career but not the place to work if you are trying to advance your career, fast pace, not boring

Constotal lack of ethics, zero structure, there is a boy's club with upper management, no planning, high turnover, lots of layoffs, very long hours, on call all of the time, pay below average, most experienced people quit shortly after hire, everyday feels like a fire drill.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should step down, he is great with ideas but terrible with managing business. Upper management should stop being yes men. Do some actual planning and research, instead of going on a whim. Scale down your operations until you can optimize efficiency.

Shortsighted and lack of planning

I have been working at Case-Mate full-time for more than a year

ProsVery open atmosphere, good people, and accomodating

ConsThe business is hurting bad now...this was due to a complete lack of planning...lets just say if you asked where are we going to be in a month the answer would be..."I don't know". Owner sticks his hands in things way too much, he needs to trust and leverage his upper management to run things, not micromanage projects and paralyze things as people wait on him to make a decision. Make decisions based on sound marketing research...someone coming off a bio-break with a "great" idea does not constitute a sound business decision to spend thousands of dollars in capital equipment, design time, and headaches for a new product..

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more active role in the final decision and don't just be yes men to the owner...trust me, his decisions are not always a good ideas (most of the time they aren't). try to enforce some level financial responsibility behind the decision to initiate a project....hundreds of thousands of dollars have gone to waste in un-realized projects in the short time i was there...dont repeat this.

Employee for 4+ years

Atlanta, GA

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work environment and nice people. Challenging and rewarding while setting up new operational processes and facilities from the ground up.

ConsInternal management problems. Management likes to jump to decisions without considering all the facts. CEO doesn't listen to his executive team and seems to just do what he wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to listen to their employees who are the ones dealing with the issues first hand. CEO needs to wake up and not ruin a good thing, but thats probably too late.

Lots of promises and nothing to show for it...

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people outside of the management team

ConsManagement are puppets to the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost most of the people who cared about the business and kept the the idiots that lost the company's fortune...smart move...

Immature, undisciplined, and disorganized

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good coworkers that are very smart and hard working. You can bring your pets to the office.

ConsThe company is completely undisciplined and irresponsible. It is a company that came to fruition by luck and it showed as soon as the company encountered even the slightest hiccup. Decisions are made on a whim and accountability is unheard of. The face of the company is a fun environment, but inside is turmoil and instability. Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees and what is going on. Recognize that company is spiraling and quit sugar coating everything. Make a decision and stick to it.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can bring your dogs to work. Free Coffee. Flexible hours.

ConsLack of any process, structure, or future planning

There is no long term strategies in place...the company does not know where it will be in the next 6 mo nor does it have a plan for that time frame.

Decisions change constantly from manager to manager/day to day and to make things better, they get changed again when the CEO/Owner decides to override them (this happens constantly)

Many decisions are made on a whim or gut, not on hard facts or data

There is little to no career advancement or training opportunities in the current environment

Bad decisions get made over and over due to lack of documentation and high turnover rates

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and push back on the CEO where necessary, your job is to make the best decision for the company and your teams

Try to instill some level of process and cohesion with respect to decisions between managers from different teams. Many decisions are being made in silos or on the whim of the CEO, without other managers/stake holders knowing, leading to, what some may figuratively refer to as, a train wreck.

Run projects in a consistent manner and document issues....currently every project runs differently even when similar projects have been done before and the same mistakes get made. This makes it difficult to plan and execute when the next step is different each time or there is no record that the decision being made had been know to be a terrible decision but is made anyhow due to lack of documentation from previous project(s). Also, high churn makes this critical due to the fact that as people leave, they take their knowledge with them...something to think about.

Come up with real plans for projects - dates, targets, and forecasts are common for most companies of this size...ASAP, as cheap as possible, and "we'll figure out what we need later" is not what most would call a plan for success.

The Blind Leading the Visually Impaired…

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Case-Mate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery casual dress code, stimulating work environment, relaxed internet policy, compelling industry, dynamic personalities (upper management not so much)

ConsContradicting direction from piers, false promises, internal politics, terrible communication on goals and company direction and an alarmingly high level of shadiness amongst upper management (VPs, Directors, C-Level)

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople get confused, companies get confused and when they start getting bigger they want to replicate their initial success and a lot of them think well there must be some magic in the process of how that success was created. They started trying to institutionalize process across the company and before very long they got confused that the process was the content. They drove off their best people due to this mindset but the best people were the ones that really understand the content. These people are a pain in the butt to manage but you put up with because they’re so good at the content and that’s what makes great products, it’s not process it’s content.

Worked for Case-Mate? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Case-Mate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Case-Mate CEO Shashi Reddy. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Case-Mate employees.