Case Western Reserve University

Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

Case Western Reserve University President Barbara R. Snyder
Barbara R. Snyder

Pros
  • Relatively good work-life balance in most research groups (in 7 reviews)

• I enjoyed the flexible work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • parking is expensive and far away (in 6 reviews)

• it is not at great location--cleveland is a city, but not so big, so we do not have a lot of opportunities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

111 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This was a great place to work, I learned a great deal during my time there.

Former Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family friendly policies, intellectual stimulation, great people, woman led organization, great reputation

Cons

Like many large organizations things often moved slow. The culture of higher education is collaboration while this was great for buy in it often slowed down the process.

Provide more opportunities for people to expand their roles without managing others. Be consistent in addressing issues across the hierarchy.

Assistant Professor

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was a faculty at Case for a few years. I enjoyed the flexible work environment . The research environment was collaborative and collegial in my early years. School also provides with great benefits.

Cons

Quality of Students on Decline in the business school. Intellectual environment not as stimulating as it used to be. I saw steep decline in the quality of research output at the business school. School became more of a teaching school in last couple of years.

Lackluster leadership at the business school for many years has weakened the institute. Need a dean with a clear vision and passion to engage the faculty.

Grad student

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good research going on
    excellent faculty
    open to multidisciplinary research area specially biochemistry

Cons

not enough stipend to manage the utility, housing and parking is very expensive

Was once a good place to work in IT

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous 403b plan, casual dress and working on a college campus. Working on a college campus is exciting and always great to see new students thrive in a challenging environment. Generally a laid back atmosphere with what I believe to be on the lower end of the stress level.

Cons

In IT, the model is going outsourced as a everything as a service. In other words, if you are not Faculty, Student or a Researcher, they really don't want the overhead of a FTE.

Maintain in-house IT services - better for the customer on campus.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Department Assistant III in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Department Assistant III in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I learned how to work with people outside of the creative field.

Cons

I have no cons to list

N/A

It was good for the first nine years I was there. Then, I went to work in an office full of standoffish people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse workgroup in some areas.

Cons

The academic environment can be very divided by job titles. Staff and professors don't mix. It's very cliquish.

A good place

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked as a Research assistant and as a Teaching assistant during my graduate studies. Its is a really good place with very nice people. Facilities are absolutely good. Lots of centers throughout the campus with various instrumentation facilities and help.

Cons

Compensation was not very good. Day time parking is very expensive.

provide your workers good services such as daycare for their kids, parking facilities...

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant IV in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant IV in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid Back, As long as you get your work done you can go home for the day

Cons

Very busy schedule, you are in lab at least 6 days a week

Great students, faculty, and campus, not enough support for teaching large courses.

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Case has a beautiful campus, a long and distinguished history of science and technology, an excellent faculty (in physics, astronomy, and materials science, at least), and an active, intelligent, and ambitious student body. The salary was reasonable: a 22% raise from my previous salary as a postdoc. The physics department offered complete freedom in developing course materials and undertaking research projects. CWRU seems a good place to do research or teach. However, ...

Cons

There are not enough resources to do research AND teach without sacrificing quality in at least one of these pursuits. There were no TAs assigned for teaching an introductory physics course with over 200 students --- only graders. Lectures, recitations, office hours, preparing tests and homework assignments and solutions, updating grades, and managing the course Web page left little time for research. (Perhaps tenure track faculty are given less demanding teaching assignments. My position was temporary.) Of course, like most universities, promotions and prestige for faculty are based primarily on publications and grants. If you neglect your teaching duties in favor of research, no one will complain ... except the students.

Hire some faculty specifically to teach, and promote them based on their success in the classroom. Hire others to do research and teach smaller, upper level and graduate courses, or pay for TAs to assist with the larger courses. When a new hire is expected to teach the largest courses and develop an independent research program, it is a disservice to both the professor and to the students.

Preservation Intern

Current Employee - Preservation in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Preservation in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The current staff is fantastic and very dedicated to their work. The environment is also very welcoming, clean, and conducive to learning and studying. My supervisor was a very supportive and friendly individual with over 20 years of experience in her field. It was a great opportunity and I learned quite a lot.

Cons

Depending on your location, the commute can be a bit stressful. Parking is also a bit of a downside.

Case Western Reserve University Photos