Case Western Reserve University Reviews

• Cleveland, OH
3.8
Case Western Reserve University President Barbara R. Snyder
Barbara R. Snyder

1. Good place to attend graduate school if you're not too concerned with student life.

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a humanities grad student, Case lacks in prestige vs. it's science programs, but it does offer good teaching experience and plenty of opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Not a lot of social opportunities, Case has a very nerdy vibe, which is good if you're particularly studious, but a bummer if you're coming from an undergrad program with a larger party scene.

Perhaps invest some more money in social opportunities for students, clubs, and campus opportunities. Obviously campus culture by just adding in bars like the Jolly Scholar, but it's a start.

2. Great place to work, but vertical movement is difficult.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition is covered for employees (+family), positive work environment that is greatly enriched by the students and proximity to University Circle, good job security, vacation does not include university holidays (and there are many!), IT Services/Software at CWRU are second to none - my office rarely had any IT issues and when we did they were immediately fixed.

Cons

Promotions and pay increases are difficult to come by. There is very little turnover in the middle and upper management, so there are not many opportunities to advance your career within the university structure... oh, and the parking situation is remarkably bad.

CWRU (and universities in general) will need to be innovative if they are to remain relevant as education becomes increasingly digital/web-based... yet, young/talented employees, are not given enough opportunity to develop/advance their careers. This was the sticking point for me.

3. Excellent range of experiences for PhD students.

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Case Western provides an excellent space where collaboration is highly encouraged for PhD students.

Lots of seminars and chances to interact and learn more about a variety of fields.

Cons

The lack of payment for PhD students who are TAing can be frustrating especially since 3 are required for graduation.

Provide proper compensation for all work performed and provide a better list of graduation requirements and expectations.

5. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Department Assistant III in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Department Assistant III in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Education benefits, matching 403b, environment, location, people, latest software and training

Cons

There are low or no raises.

Raises/compensation for staff

6. Good school to for graduate education.

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University

Pros

Heavily research focused. The faculty are very responsive to students and there is a lot of opportunity to contribute to research.

Cons

Heavily research focused. Teachers are not often focused on teaching.

7. Rewarding, but I don't want to be here forever.

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always feel like I'm working with students who will do something special someday, and being able to be a small part of their development is a really special feeling. I love this city! Cleveland has been a second home to me and my family to the point where we tell people we're from Cleveland. The city is so vibrant right now & trending up. Some of the best food and entertainment in the world!

Cons

Very disjointed management (getting better). My experience with my supervisors is very positive, but I know others whose similar departments are managed very differently to the point where I wouldn't want to be a part of that culture. Compensation at lower levels isn't great, but is pretty consistent with other higher-ed environments - still not competitive with private sector similar jobs. Benefits are just ok. Parking is absolutely horrendous. Minimum $50 per month to park on campus, $90 to park near my building.

Respect and reward people who are in entry level positions for the crazy amount of hours they put in for very little money. Apply a tiering system to the parking fees so that people making $20K aren't paying $1000 a year to park at their job. Get directors on the same page from applying HR standards to employees whose jobs don't fit a typical mold of being in the office for 8 hours a day M-F.

No one is in academia to get rich.

Former Employee - Technician IV in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Technician IV in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University

Pros

There is a perpetual learning curve that either feeds self-edification or builds skills to take elsewhere. The area is an education / culture goldmine. Take from it what you will. I was able to more or less make my own hours. As long as data came in and looked good, I was free to manage my schedule as I liked.

Cons

It's a very comfortable place which means people have to look for things to complain about and they do. Your experience is 100% luck of the draw based on how your personality fits with others and scientists are not exactly known for their social skills. The office politics are as bad as they are anywhere, despite low-risk work and easy-going environment. Everyone should be enamored with the wonder of learning but that's not the culture. Faculty stress is enormous and it trickles down. Promotions are arbitrary based on grant money available and how lackadaisical your supervisor is or isn't and how much he/she likes you. 13 years of networking with other techs shows me that this is universal. The University itself does not care about you unless you bring them money or prestige. Everyone else might as well be floor sweepers.

Look people in the eye and tell the truth. Supervisors are either whip-swinging storm troopers or so squishy, their non-confrontational diplomacy is tantamount to mafia tactics. I've have seen open conversation invited, then the supervisor makes no attempt to understand, but manipulates the conversation to serve an end. Man up a little. I understand that people trained in science are not trained in people management. Learn it or get out of the business.

9. Worked here as a student, had fun, made money.

Former Employee - Student Technology Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Student Technology Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University

Pros

The wages are competitive, and the work can be challenging yet rewarding. Everyone is a joy to work with so you get to build relations real fast. The occasional free food is a plus.

Cons

There aren't really any cons that I can think of. Sometimes there is a lack of work which can get boring.

10. Work study- severance hall

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University

Pros

Good people to work for, felt like they actually cared about me and the pay is quite good (much better than working part time at McDonnell's)

Cons

obviously there is no room for advancement. This shouldn't be a problem thought as your most likely trying to get a degree and aren't planning on doing Case's work study for the rest of your life

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Bright, talented students, world-class research, significant opportunity to contribute to the education of students through my department/role.

Cons

Staff are not particularly well-valued at the institution. Compensation is average for the field. Benefits are ok, but again, those for faculty are better. Lots of silos, lots of people who think everything on campus revolves around them. Not as much collaboration (by faculty with staff in particular) as there could or should be.

Stop facilitating the divide between faculty and staff. Both are important to make a university run. I know, no professors, no classes. No staff, it would still all fall apart.

Case Western Reserve University Photos