Case Western Reserve University

Updated August 26, 2014

4.1

Case Western Reserve University President Barbara R. Snyder
Barbara R. Snyder

Pros
  • Relatively good work-life balance in most research groups (in 7 reviews)

• Work environment is great, the campus is great, the benefits are great, the surrounding are university circle is amazing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is expensive and most lots not close (in 6 reviews)

• it is not at great location--cleveland is a city, but not so big, so we do not have a lot of opportunities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Grad student

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good research going on
    excellent faculty
    open to multidisciplinary research area specially biochemistry

Cons

not enough stipend to manage the utility, housing and parking is very expensive

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Department Assistant III  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Department Assistant III in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I learned how to work with people outside of the creative field.

Cons

I have no cons to list

N/A

A good place

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked as a Research assistant and as a Teaching assistant during my graduate studies. Its is a really good place with very nice people. Facilities are absolutely good. Lots of centers throughout the campus with various instrumentation facilities and help.

Cons

Compensation was not very good. Day time parking is very expensive.

provide your workers good services such as daycare for their kids, parking facilities...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant IV  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant IV in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid Back, As long as you get your work done you can go home for the day

Cons

Very busy schedule, you are in lab at least 6 days a week

Great students, faculty, and campus, not enough support for teaching large courses.

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Case has a beautiful campus, a long and distinguished history of science and technology, an excellent faculty (in physics, astronomy, and materials science, at least), and an active, intelligent, and ambitious student body. The salary was reasonable: a 22% raise from my previous salary as a postdoc. The physics department offered complete freedom in developing course materials and undertaking research projects. CWRU seems a good place to do research or teach. However, ...

Cons

There are not enough resources to do research AND teach without sacrificing quality in at least one of these pursuits. There were no TAs assigned for teaching an introductory physics course with over 200 students --- only graders. Lectures, recitations, office hours, preparing tests and homework assignments and solutions, updating grades, and managing the course Web page left little time for research. (Perhaps tenure track faculty are given less demanding teaching assignments. My position was temporary.) Of course, like most universities, promotions and prestige for faculty are based primarily on publications and grants. If you neglect your teaching duties in favor of research, no one will complain ... except the students.

Hire some faculty specifically to teach, and promote them based on their success in the classroom. Hire others to do research and teach smaller, upper level and graduate courses, or pay for TAs to assist with the larger courses. When a new hire is expected to teach the largest courses and develop an independent research program, it is a disservice to both the professor and to the students.

Preservation Intern

Current Employee - Preservation  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Preservation in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The current staff is fantastic and very dedicated to their work. The environment is also very welcoming, clean, and conducive to learning and studying. My supervisor was a very supportive and friendly individual with over 20 years of experience in her field. It was a great opportunity and I learned quite a lot.

Cons

Depending on your location, the commute can be a bit stressful. Parking is also a bit of a downside.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant II  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Case Western Reserve University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, interesting work, great people, open and inclusive culture

Cons

parking is expensive and far away

Nice place to work in Cleveland area

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Health insurance is good for yourself when you are a postdoc if you don't have to include your family.

Cons

Working time is so long but it depends on your supervisor. It's tough when you have young kids.

Research environment is great, administration not so good

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Case is small enough that you will end up slowly meeting everybody in your field. Research environment is good, nice faculty. If one seeks collaboration with UH, that is pretty nice.

Cons

Salaries are controlled excessively even where there is money to give. They prefer to send money back than to give it to the people that deserve it. Administration is moving slowly.

Make sure that the administration is helping as much as possible the researchers that bring grants to the university.

Good experience

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Case Western Reserve University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at a lab assistant at CWRU during my undergraduate career. I had experiences with a few different PIs were some very good and some weren't. There is no shortage of good instructors who can help set you on your right career path.

Cons

While there are a lot of opportunities for research, you can have some PIs or grad students who can barely speak English. This can make communication and progression of projects very difficult.

Worked for Case Western Reserve University? Contribute to the Community!