Casey's General Stores Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
118 reviews filtered by

Never a dull moment, busy, busy, busy...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkins, AR

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great store manager, free drinks while working...

Cons

Biggest challenge would have to be meeting district manager's unreasonable demands! They have bad habit of changing how they want things done constantly.
    Cutting hours so bad we don't have enough coverage to provide great customer service. The kitchen stays busy way too busy for only 2 people to keep up! Example: The phone orders for pizzas and sub's keeps 2 people hopping all night. And when you get 7-10 pizza orders at one time then people coming in for sub's ( and let me tell you they DON'T like to wait!) And they let you know it too!
    Our store manager puts in more hours than any store manager I know; she comes into work at between 3:30 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and usually leaves around 5-6 p.m. and a lot of nights she returns to help us through the rush crowds! It isn't fair to her nor us nor the customers for having to wait 30-45 minutes for their pizzas because we aren't allowed the hours to put a third person on during the busiest days! Thursday, Friday, Saturday!
    This company is greedy! They do not give raises when they are suppose to (according to their company handbook) you can get a perfect score on your review/evaluation and get absolutely nothing! You work hard and long hours and the company still complains about something!
     Their mission statement is a bold face lie: ''where hard dedicated work is recognised and rewarded'' LIE! Nothing but complaints. Nothing is ever good enough. I think the people making the decisions on ''how'' the stores/kitchen are run and operated they themselves need to come and operate our store on Friday night just once with( 1 )one person taking, making, cutting, boxing up pizzas, oh! Let's not forget to put a smile on that face and take care of the sub-line fixing 5 and 6 people's orders for sub's alone; oh but don't forget about the pizzas that are ''backing-up'' in the oven! They burn you have to do them over and you'll fall further behind!
    Then the complaints will start at full speed ahead! Then you get chewed out for a complaint when you were doing the best you could under the circumstances! But oh that's not good enough! Well their pay isn't good enough for what we have to go through on a daily basis! GREEDY that's Caseys general stores !!

Not that ''upper management '' will listen but if you really care about your stores and your 'profits'' then let your stores have the hours they need to operate properly and professionally! Fewer complaints the more business equals more profit! But the way it is now giving very few hours to work with; you're setting your store up for failure! And no it will not be the employee's or store managers fault! It will be yours! You are letting your GREED get in the way of good business!

2. its ok

Current Employee - Store Manager in Moorhead, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Moorhead, MN

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

pay is ok but not the greatest for the job

Cons

not enough pay for what they expect

increase pay

3. It was good work, but the pay wasn't amazing.

Former Employee - Store Team Member in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Store Team Member in Joplin, MO

I worked at Casey's General Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I feel like I didn't really get anything out of this job. It had good hours. It was nice for the most part overall 3/5 for these reasons.

Cons

I felt like it was a dead end job that didn't really go very far. It was kinda boring at times. The times when there were people there made it better. These brought it down to a 3/5

An easier way to get promoted, like a system to "apply" for it would be amazing. If there was one, I was not informed of it.

Not enough formal training for management

Former Employee - First Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - First Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Casey's General Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easier work environment, familiar faces of regular customers who I got to know by name, friendly work staff

Cons

Not structured enough, rules were not enforced, minimal pay, not enough scheduled hours, called in on short notice.

I loved my job at Casey's. It was friendly & familiar. The everyday duties weren't very complicated. Unloading the truck was laborous one day a week. Where the job became difficult was when I was promoted to management. There is not enough training on how to deal with customer concerns and all the things that can go wrong in a day. I.e. the cooler breaking down or a gas pump problem. There were too many gray areas of management. Too many responsibilities for not enough pay. And if you are management in one of the many 24-hr stores, you are on-call 24 hours. Most of this falls upon the assistant's shoulders since the Store Manager is salary, they don't want to be bothered in their free time, off the clock.

Have more formal training for management. Give them encouragement and not only $ profit-sharing bonuses for the Store Manager, but for the assistant managers as well.

6. It was all right

I worked at Casey's General Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the workers were great. The customers were what made it as well as smoke breaks whenever needed as we could get time to take one.

Cons

The boss was two faced. Pay wasn't worth the troubles. Disliked being the only person in kitchen on friday and saturday nights expected to do everything - answer phones and get pizza's made and dough done and walk in soda coolers stocked and cleaning up and making food for the warmer every hour. It was ridiculous expecting one person to do this.

Get more help during weekend evenings. Don't just have an hour long floater come in. Way too much work and stress.

Great job love the work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkins, AR

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good wonderful store manager

Cons

Company continues to cut hours not giving us enough help to properly give good customer service! I'd love to see district managers come and work the kitchen by themselves ALONE
    Making 5 or 6 pizza orders along with dealing with ringing telephones with people wanting to
    place orders along with taking care of sub sandwiches when you have 3 or 4 people in line
    asking ''what's taking so long??" Would they feel overwhelmed? Stressed out? What about
    All the cleaning that's required ? Ovens have to be taken apart and cleaned and put back together along with pizza line, sub line, dough roller, steam table, oh and don't forget the customers that want their orders NOW! Talk about setting a business up to fail! And who gets
    blamed when corporate get phone calls and email complaints? The employee that's working their butt off and getting no thank you for trying! Totally no help!
    It's really bad when you're a devoted employee does anything that needs to be done
    without complaint and your evaluation is complete with excellent scores and you don't get a single penny of a raise
    because someone drops the ball and your manager fights to get it for you and they are told
    NO you waited too long to bring it to our attention! District manager refuses to sign off to approve your raise! Not cool for a rich company as big and well known as Caseys to do that
    to their dedicated, reliable, hard working employee that's making the 'big corporate' people
    BIG wages!

Corporate needs to go to their stores and actually look around and TALK with the people that are working their butts off for them! Corporate people are no better than their employees at store level! They just make a heck of a lot more money for doing a lot less labor!

8. Great Team

Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Newton, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Newton, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. A lot of respect for the management team. A lot of mobility if you're willing.

Cons

Pay is pretty low. Little incentive to be an assistant manager because the change is pay is too minimal.

Increase the pay so that you can attract better employees and retention.

Makes alot money, and still so cheap.

Current Employee - Store Team Member in Hutchinson, MN
    Current Employee - Store Team Member in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at Casey's General Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun people
    good pizza
    nothing else really.

Cons

purposely schedule you under 8 hours, anything under 8 hours you get one fifteen minute break. You get a 1/2 off food discount when you're working but you can't bring anything even outside the building that you bought with the discount! Can't even eat expired food, they would rather have you THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE than actually eat it, talk about a waste. Don't work with your schedule, high turnover rates, don't train anyone properly and give workers terrible hours. One week you might work fifty hours, the next week you might work twelve. Plays favorites....I could go on forever

CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES. Stop being so stingy, you make alot of money, how about caring about the people that work for you.

10. Good Company to start out in.

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time

Pros

Very easy job to do as long as everyone pulls their weight.

Cons

Management is ALWAYS on call!

11. Good summer job.

Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Eureka, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Eureka, IL

I have been working at Casey's General Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casey's General Store has nice staff, and the hours are pretty flexible.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage and you do a lot of work for the money. It is a lot more work than you would expect.

Casey's General Stores Photos