Cash America

Updated October 20, 2014
3.2

Cash America President, CEO, and Director Dan Feehan
Dan Feehan

Pros
  • Flexibility and opportunity to learn something new every day (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, good atmosphere, challenging (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours in my position had been dictated reciently by upper management to closing every shift (in 8 reviews)

• No work/ life balance (that stopped with the bonuses) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty ok Job

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexable hours, closed on sunday, great benifits, willing to promote within. Never stop learning technology and jewlery.

Cons

Really don't have any cons to say.

Even corporate office jobs have no advancement, okay pay, company values a joke

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly below average for IT. Time off is good, two weeks with one week sick time. 401k, decent medical, bonuses. It's hard to get fired from there, especially for poor performance because there's no accountability or consistency and HR doesn't want litigation. Old technology, no need to keep current on skills. It's a great place for entry-level work, or people who just want to skate until retirement. Free soda in the break rooms. They at least pretend to have good company values and try to convince you with fun company outings.

Cons

No Tuition reimbursement or training, mediocre raises. Inconsistent application of HR policies, inconsistent strategy. No advancement opportunities. New CIO hired from outside. Many IT people were just laid off. New IT management staff have been hired for new, ambiguous, unadvertised roles. Those jobs were filled by people who all worked at the CIO's old company. Check LinkedIn profiles of new IT hires, you'll see Nationstar over and over.

Your business performance is going to continue to be mediocre, until you start holding yourself and your buddies at the top publicly accountable for outcomes. Start leading as if you wanted your people to believe in you, instead of shareholders. If you can't pay more, at least offer tuition reimbursement or training.

Outstanding company, and people to work for.. Just not now!

Former Employee - Hardware Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people. Solid work ethics. Great benefits. Outstanding severance package and compensation.

Cons

Can't think of any. The career would have been a good one. Had the affiliate business remained intact, Support Services would have as well. Of course, I would not recommend this job to a friend just now. They are downsizing. Possibly apply in a few months when the dust settles

None. I had some great Managers in the Repair Operations and Logistic Center. They were very compassionate when personal circumstances dictated time off. The cover was there. They helped to make the environment fun to work in. They were straight shooters. No punches pulled. They helped make our division world class! They and the environment will be missed. Just wish we could have had that bar-b-q prior to the layoff! Will be a hard act to follow at the next job.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to meet new people. Some GREAT and some just HORRIBLE.

p.s. I QUITE. It was the best choice I made!

Cons

The Store manager is UNPROFESSIONAL and the mangers are young. The reason I said, "young" is because when you bump someone up to manager. You need to be sure they are PROFESSIONAL, and MENTALLY stabled enough to handle mutable tasks. The store manager was indeed thinking only about color, had a bad attitude, and NEVER worked. Unless she knew that the district manager was coming in. Which I personally think they should just do a random pop up. Her and 2 of the managers that worked up there was always on the phone. She always had me which people to train me. The training was not difficult but confusing, because they would have you train with everyone and everyone had different ways of doing things. So when you learn a certain way and is told that way is wrong and then is told that, that way is wrong too it gets confusing.

Learn how to be professional. Learn how to speak to people and how to take time out for sitting on your bottom and teaching someone. Don't always leave and come back, then not do anything. Don't just give out manager badges just because a person been there a while. Make sure that person is ready to take on the responsibility of having to do extra. Don't take down on someone if they mess up once. Just give some encouragement and tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it. Teach it to your managers to, when you are not around. Let them now UNPROFESSIONAL-ISM is NOT tolerated in the work place. Also Store Manger should not say, "Well since your are BLACK you would do good in this area. Because there is mostly BLACKS coming in. And you know how BLACK people get loud."
    SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NOT SAY IN A INTERVIEW.

Good experience

Current Employee - Market Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership at the top, average compensation, good work-life balance.

Cons

Limited to no career advancement, no raises, employees not valued.

Give your employees that work hard a chance to move up the career ladder if they want to.

If you are looking for a check every other week and nothing else, this is the right place to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn about everything pretty much, flexible schedules, not too bad environment depending the store, good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

lack of opportunity to move up, a lot of unfair situations, treat their employees bad, they pay more to the new employees than the old employees who already know everything about the store and customers. The raise is once a year and is only few cents depending on the performance. leadership is based on who you know not what you know. management do whatever they want even is against their policies.

Evaluate more the top managers and how they treat their employees, give the employees the opportunity to express themselves about management rating their performance.

Each day is never the same.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Burien, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Burien, WA

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and good discounts

Cons

Customers can be very rude and overbearing...

Difficult to get promoted.

dishonest at a regional level

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good co-workers, profit sharing is ok

Cons

I left because of the dishonesty at a corporate/regional level. They paid a lobbying group a ton of money to write a bogus law about military personel who have things in pawn (its an Arizona law only) then they tacked on a rider that raised the max interest we could charge on loans. Then they told us to tell customers that "we had to follow the law and raise the amount of interest we charge". Which is a lie because the law only raised the max interest, it didn't dictate how much we HAD to charge. The first day after it went into effect I told a regular customer who had several small items in pawn about the rate change. she's in her 70's and when i told her she started crying and saying that it may only be a few dollars to us, but for her it was the difference between eating for a day or not. The next day i quit; I couldn't take it!

Your customers count on you for small loans that help them survive. You have destroyed the trust you had with your customers and employees in Arizona!

Decent company

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible hours. Decent pay

Cons

Hardworking. Expect you to put the job above all else

Bad time to be a Cash American

Current Employee - Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Closed Sundays....for now.
    401k....for now
    Paid vacations...if you're allow to take them.

Cons

More and more hours piled on Managers with no raises and cuts in bonuses over the last two years (Bonus? What's that?). Closing stores and massive cuts in personnel. Expect to work 55+ hrs per week as a Manager. No work/ life balance (that stopped with the bonuses). It's all about the shareholders now.

I'm afraid there is little hope for Cash America now.