Cash America Reviews

Reset
3.1
Cash America President, CEO, and Director Dan Feehan
Dan Feehan

Pros
  • Good benefits, good atmosphere, challenging (in 5 reviews)

• I'd worked in a small pawn shop for many years prior (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • or support from upper management (in 8 reviews)

• No work/ life balance (that stopped with the bonuses) (in 4 reviews)

A career and a personal life... Yeah Right!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

They have a very thorough training program. They are very determined to teach you the proper tools to make the business as profitable as possible.

Cons

Limited insurance plan for the first six months. (Don't get sick) VERY LIMITED! You have to work a minimum of 48 hours to receive the salary they offer, I am working over 60 hours a week and have been since my hire date. But they do offer "premium overtime" Which gives you about $4 an hour for anything over 48 hours worked. I only take about ten minutes to eat my lunch if I get one and am right back to work. By the time you break the salary down to an hourly rate I am making about $9.00 an hour. (less than the full time CSR's) If you complain about it or try to take a day off, you will be told that is part of being in management. They ask on their job postings "How would you like to have a career and a life too?" It's a little misleading. Ya think!!

Advice to Management

When hiring hard working people, Let them know your true expectations upfront. And the job postings should probably say "How would you like to have a career and NO LIFE!!

Lack Of Integrity - Despotism - Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Pawn Shop Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Pawn Shop Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The job itself is amazing. Working in a pawn shop, you learn something new every day and get to meet many interesting clients. On top of that you can add great deals on jewelry, electronics, etc.

Cons

It's unfortunate how successful this company has became in spite of it's business practices and the lack of respect for it's employees. Everything will seem fantastic until you get the attention of upper management (deservedly or not). They will typically not fire anyone, however it is common practice to set employees up to fail (there are literally closed door meetings to decide how this will be done). They promote Core Values which only apply when it is in their best interest - otherwise it's "Core What?". I've seen employees get fired for misfiling a piece of jewelry (yes, that's bad) but I've also seen employees who closed a store and went home without locking the front door or pulling down the security gate (store was left unlocked for hours!) and the violation was covered up. Your success (and continued employment with this company) will be impacted more by who you sleep with (or who they THINK you're sleeping with!) than your proven ability to succeed at your job. And most importantly, if the company demands that you offer less than full value to a client for the gold they bring in - either sacrifice your integrity or update your resume. Unfortunately, this culture of "step-in-line" or there's the door happens quite frequently. The most benign mistakes, expressing your opinion WHEN ASKED, and even personal injuries (!) can get you branded as an "enemy of the corporation" and they will find a way to get rid of you. Every day you come into work is like playing Russian Roulette.

Advice to Management

Live up to your posted Core Values.

3. This company Sucks.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Pawn Broker in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Pawn Broker in Auburn, WA

I worked at Cash America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing really unless there is another slave there that happens to be nice that you can be friends with.

Cons

Managers on power-trips, over-worked, chronically timed breaks, obsessed employees who want to move up the broken ladder to non-success. Did I say over-worked, slave work...! Stinky, dirty work.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, you work at a pawn shop.

5. Do not even bother!

Former Employee - CSR in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - CSR in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is set Sundays off, unless it's holiday season, then expect to work every day. No pros!

Cons

Customers who at times belittle you and as a CSR not being able to do anything about it. Management at certain shops suck! Training techniques implemented by some managers are a joke. ALOT of drama!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Keep the loyal ones and get rid of the employees causing the turmoil within your shops! Implement a standard basic training module and make sure you stick to it then maybe you won't have as high a turn over rate! Managers and assistant managers need to be on the same page! Leave your DRAMA at home! Learn to differentiate home life and work life! Be fair! Stop playing favorites and trying to turn employees against each other! Say what you mean and mean what you say! Go back to the basics of what a pawnshop is! Stop trying to keep up with retail stores!

6. One of the poorest run companies I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the headquarters. Many of the people I worked with were top notch! Very knowledgeable and eager to make things work.

Cons

Horrible management! Projects would go on and on and on! Absolutely no project management. The entire PMO needs some serious help... or support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If one of them has a concern... there's probably a reason.

7. face paced, low pay, harsh work environment

Current Employee - Clerk in Riverdale, GA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Riverdale, GA

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are available, flexible hours

Cons

It's a coporate environment which keeps it boring and not un

Advice to Management

hire more pawn brokers instead of kids that don't know the business.

8. Unprofessional

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet new people. Some GREAT and some just HORRIBLE. p.s. I QUITE. It was the best choice I made!

Cons

The Store manager is UNPROFESSIONAL and the mangers are young. The reason I said, "young" is because when you bump someone up to manager. You need to be sure they are PROFESSIONAL, and MENTALLY stabled enough to handle mutable tasks. The store manager was indeed thinking only about color, had a bad attitude, and NEVER worked. Unless she knew that the district manager was coming in. Which I personally think they should just do a random pop up. Her and 2 of the managers that worked up there was always on the phone. She always had me which people to train me. The training was not difficult but confusing, because they would have you train with everyone and everyone had different ways of doing things. So when you learn a certain way and is told that way is wrong and then is told that, that way is wrong too it gets confusing.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be professional. Learn how to speak to people and how to take time out for sitting on your bottom and teaching someone. Don't always leave and come back, then not do anything. Don't just give out manager badges just because a person been there a while. Make sure that person is ready to take on the responsibility of having to do extra. Don't take down on someone if they mess up once. Just give some encouragement and tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it. Teach it to your managers to, when you are not around. Let them now UNPROFESSIONAL-ISM is NOT tolerated in the work place. Also Store Manger should not say, "Well since your are BLACK you would do good in this area. Because there is mostly BLACKS coming in. And you know how BLACK people get loud." SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NOT SAY IN A INTERVIEW.

9. Awful company to work for

Current Employee - Pawn Broker in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Pawn Broker in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hour lunch breaks and that's about it.

Cons

The pay is awful, low commissions, they charge you to take out child support from your check if you have to pay it, poor leadership and direction throughout the company, they don't really care about the employee's, you have to deal with market managers coming into your store on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Take the time to ask your employee's how they feel about certain things before shoving your dumb ideas down their throats.

10. Training

Current Employee - Title Pawn Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Title Pawn Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cash America full-time

Pros

Benefits seems to be great.

Cons

There is no structured training. They have my trainer doing so many other things so I don't have a clue what I am doing. The computer data base is so old.... its impossible to learn quickly.

Advice to Management

I really would like for the company to take the time to make learning easier and more organized. Very unprofessional.

11. They could be great but choose mediocrity

Current Employee - Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment! The pawn industry is so diverse and interesting.

Cons

The company spends large amounts of time, money and effort to promote their core values but it's all talk. True families do not see each other as expendable or as threats. Fear and gossip are the norm and at this point, no one is safe. Even tenure, loyalty and great performance will not save you from the ax with this company. It's every man for himself and getting worse every day. The company is about the shareholder only. Customers, employees and true revenue no longer hold any relevance or value.

Advice to Management

Some soul searching is required. Who is the captain of this ship? Stop the business 101 text book responses and actually communicate a clear vision and direction for this company. Decide to be in the pawn business again and this company may be great again.

RSS Feed </> Embed