Cash America

Updated December 3, 2014
3.1

Cash America President, CEO, and Director Dan Feehan
Dan Feehan

Pros
  • Flexibility and opportunity to learn something new every day (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, good atmosphere, challenging (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours in my position had been dictated reciently by upper management to closing every shift (in 8 reviews)

• No work/ life balance (that stopped with the bonuses) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cash America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to meet new people. Some GREAT and some just HORRIBLE.

p.s. I QUITE. It was the best choice I made!

Cons

The Store manager is UNPROFESSIONAL and the mangers are young. The reason I said, "young" is because when you bump someone up to manager. You need to be sure they are PROFESSIONAL, and MENTALLY stabled enough to handle mutable tasks. The store manager was indeed thinking only about color, had a bad attitude, and NEVER worked. Unless she knew that the district manager was coming in. Which I personally think they should just do a random pop up. Her and 2 of the managers that worked up there was always on the phone. She always had me which people to train me. The training was not difficult but confusing, because they would have you train with everyone and everyone had different ways of doing things. So when you learn a certain way and is told that way is wrong and then is told that, that way is wrong too it gets confusing.

Learn how to be professional. Learn how to speak to people and how to take time out for sitting on your bottom and teaching someone. Don't always leave and come back, then not do anything. Don't just give out manager badges just because a person been there a while. Make sure that person is ready to take on the responsibility of having to do extra. Don't take down on someone if they mess up once. Just give some encouragement and tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it. Teach it to your managers to, when you are not around. Let them now UNPROFESSIONAL-ISM is NOT tolerated in the work place. Also Store Manger should not say, "Well since your are BLACK you would do good in this area. Because there is mostly BLACKS coming in. And you know how BLACK people get loud."
    SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NOT SAY IN A INTERVIEW.

Decent company

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible hours. Decent pay

Cons

Hardworking. Expect you to put the job above all else

Good experience

Current Employee - Market Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership at the top, average compensation, good work-life balance.

Cons

Limited to no career advancement, no raises, employees not valued.

Give your employees that work hard a chance to move up the career ladder if they want to.

If you are looking for a check every other week and nothing else, this is the right place to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn about everything pretty much, flexible schedules, not too bad environment depending the store, good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

lack of opportunity to move up, a lot of unfair situations, treat their employees bad, they pay more to the new employees than the old employees who already know everything about the store and customers. The raise is once a year and is only few cents depending on the performance. leadership is based on who you know not what you know. management do whatever they want even is against their policies.

Evaluate more the top managers and how they treat their employees, give the employees the opportunity to express themselves about management rating their performance.

Each day is never the same.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Burien, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Burien, WA

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and good discounts

Cons

Customers can be very rude and overbearing...

Difficult to get promoted.

dishonest at a regional level

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good co-workers, profit sharing is ok

Cons

I left because of the dishonesty at a corporate/regional level. They paid a lobbying group a ton of money to write a bogus law about military personel who have things in pawn (its an Arizona law only) then they tacked on a rider that raised the max interest we could charge on loans. Then they told us to tell customers that "we had to follow the law and raise the amount of interest we charge". Which is a lie because the law only raised the max interest, it didn't dictate how much we HAD to charge. The first day after it went into effect I told a regular customer who had several small items in pawn about the rate change. she's in her 70's and when i told her she started crying and saying that it may only be a few dollars to us, but for her it was the difference between eating for a day or not. The next day i quit; I couldn't take it!

Your customers count on you for small loans that help them survive. You have destroyed the trust you had with your customers and employees in Arizona!

Bad time to be a Cash American

Current Employee - Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Closed Sundays....for now.
    401k....for now
    Paid vacations...if you're allow to take them.

Cons

More and more hours piled on Managers with no raises and cuts in bonuses over the last two years (Bonus? What's that?). Closing stores and massive cuts in personnel. Expect to work 55+ hrs per week as a Manager. No work/ life balance (that stopped with the bonuses). It's all about the shareholders now.

I'm afraid there is little hope for Cash America now.

No longer a Pawn Shop.....

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Customer interactions, 401k, locations,med, dental

Cons

Inconsistency. Atlanta market managers would rather hire outside MT. Instead of developing internal prospects. I'm following their lead and taking my 10 years of service/exp. elsewhere.

Develop your people. Send a seasoned OPs Dir to ATL to restore Legacy shop standards. You would think PM aquired us and not the other way around.

A career with lots of challenging opportunities.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

At a pawn shop everyday is different from the last. Never boring. Always have an opportunity to learn more. Your expertise is encouraged and solicited.

Cons

You must be skilled at helping people in difficult circumstances. Requires exorbitant amounts of patience.

Management is great and supports a good work/life balance.

Accounting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit plans. The company has good professionals, and a lot of them have a lot of experience. HR has the correct experience, and the right attitude.

Cons

Too much politics. The balance score card is such a disappointing evaluation. They tell you they are not going to give the highest score because they do not want to pay bonuses even if they are part of your hiring package. They say you can grow within the company, but the reality is that they don't have enough room to grow. There's a high turnover.

Promote based on the knowledge, and experience of an employee and not based on favoritism. People are bored, and the work load should be more efficient.