Cash Store Financial

Updated Oct 30, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gordon J. Reykdal

This place is changing - and for the better

I have been working at Cash Store Financial full-time

ProsNew management hears the pain points of the consumers and are putting plans in place to make some big and effective changes.

ConsMay not necessarily be a con, but the pace is fast. If you can't keep up, you'll be left behind.

Those with morals need not apply.

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cash Store Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsMy fellow ex-co-workers. You get a break for two days a week (sometimes). Kept my bank account happy. That is all.

ConsManagement could care less about the mental health of their employees. Forces CSR's in the Customer Service Center at the Corporate Office to practice illegal collection practices. Reprimanded for not calling debtors on the weekend. My manager said "we'll keep do this (calling Quebec debtors and on weekends) until someone tells us to stop.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a different manager, maybe one that is more familiar with Cheque Cashing and customer service rather than one with a collections only background. Worst choice. I would have stayed had it not been for her...

Not a career, but a decent place to work.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cash Store Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the staff that you will work with in this company are simply amazing. Hours are pretty standard and reliable, provided you have consistent staff in your branch.

Most Regional Managers treat the branch employees with respect. There is pressure to perform and having a good relationship with the Regional encourages growth & development.

ConsThere is a lot of turnover. Unfortunately, it has more to do with the lack of commitment and motivation of the CSRs in the branches. Management carries the branch and typically does the majority of work. The success of the branch is dependent upon clients repaying their loans & issuing new loans.

Considering that this line of work tends to deal with people who have little/no grip on their personal finances, the clients can be verbally abusive which can quickly escalate into physically abusive if you do not have the demeanor to tactfully handle the situation. I worked in a particularly rough neighborhood and can recall a few instances where I felt my safety may be at risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management in head office need to be re-evaluated. While they focus on driving sales, they need to focus on development at branch level to ENSURE sales, not just CAPTURE sales.

Great online training tools. However, they need to work on developing their branch staff to professionally handle disputes. Upper management also needs to back their staff. There is a lot of verbal abuse that branch employees endure and it would go a long way if they knew the Regionals & VPs had their back.

Re-evaluate the bonus program in place for branches. It doesnt pay nearly enough for the work involved to achieve budget.

An Alright Place... if you had the proper staff!

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cash Store Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsNot many to mention but, Good hours, if you can find the right people to work with you and are always on time and are consistent than this place is great.

ConsWay too many change overs, Pay could be better as they only allow a 10% increase every few months this includes if you were a FCSR and get promoted to a Branch Manager. As I was a Manager I was being bullied by my associates and sometimes my Regional. Expensive to customers; meaning that the customer is only allowed to receive their funds on a cheque that they have to take to their bank and cash or they have to receive it on a pre-paid mastercard that could cost them up to 30.00 every month just to keep!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe to really go into stores and actually work a full week as we do, maybe then they would realize that the things they tell us to do like growing our branches is not as easy as it looks. Yes, they may have worked in branches before but how long ago was that? Things have changed over the years and now people are realizing things that they do not know. Changing the prices on the pre-paid mastercards to where it is more affordable and less embarrassing to tell a customer about how much it is to purchase and how much to keep this card up to date without having it to go into the overdraft every month.

Worst job experience ever!! Ever!!!

Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cash Store Financial part-time for less than a year

ProsNONE!!!! Absolutely none. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

ConsGarbage Pay, Collections, Work alone........

Advice to Senior Managementcreate new business plan

If your an ethical person this is not the place for you to be employed.

North Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cash Store Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI work at this company for four years, for the first 2 years it was a great place to work. Excellent bonus at the end of every month was a definite plus. The customers I grew very attached to as well.

ConsThe last 2 years, ever since there prices for loaning skyrocketed, I did not feel very comfortable working there. I had a hard time explaining these increases and especially a hard time justifying them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more professional and not yell at customers and employees when your having a bad day. Lighten up!

Poor Mgmt

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cash Store Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsJob was very easy and little was required of customer service representatives.

ConsRaises were always being considered but never given. Bonus structure was poorly designed and had no correlation to amount of work done.

worst employer

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Digby, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Cash Store Financial full-time for more than a year

Prosnone unless you work with decent people

Consthe regional managers arenothing but useless and full of them selves , they act liek they are god and treat their employees like children , and they are alwaysfirst to tell you on how bad of job the store is doing , and to collect monies from people by sneaking into their accounts is wrong and you cannot have and morals to do this job , the company steals money from people who dont have any to begin with

Advice to Senior Managementlook for a new way to make money instead of ripping people off

great

I have been working at Cash Store Financial

Prosit is a really fun job

Consthe pay is not so much

manager

I have been working at Cash Store Financial full-time

Prosfriendly co workers, good benefits

Conslong hours, on call, minimal pay, little work life balance

Worked for Cash Store Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cash Store Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cash Store Financial CEO Gordon J. Reykdal. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Cash Store Financial employees.