Cash Store

Trevor Ahlberg

An experience.

Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe pay was good.

ConsTrying to understand the customers that have to use this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining should have more focus on how to deal with and understand customer documents to know when to turn away a possible bad customer/loan.

Enjoyed the salary, hated the 6 day work week.

I worked at Cash Store full-time for more than a year

ProsGetting to know customers was great the other employees were wonderful as well. One of the best benefits were the automatic pay increases.

ConsEmployee turn-over, the long hours (6 days a week = 47 hours), to make bonuses you have to meet/exceed their projected monthly numbers, which come from Corporate in Texas. After making bonus for 3 months in a row my store numbers skyrocked to unattainable levels. They are a young company and want "young" employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employee turn-over down and hold on to the good employees, no matter their age.

Horrible place to work. They don't value your employment at all!

I worked at Cash Store

ProsPay and working with customers. The store was updated so that was nice but everything else about this company is horrible

ConsEverything else, Cash store is a revolving door.
No job security. I worked there for two years and was replaced and they couldn't even give me a reason as to why I was let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, long term employees are better that having new ones in your stores every few months.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only a good place to work if you're looking for short term employment

I worked at Cash Store full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is decent and increases quickly during your first year

ConsThey are constantly looking for reasons to fire people instead of doing better training and developing the employees they have. Very few employees make it there past 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe get it that you're in it for money but you also need to realize that in order for your employees to want to do a good job for you the moral has to be good. Look at your employees as people and treat them like you would want to be treated and they will want to do a good job for you and will be excited about getting their numbers up and helping your bottom line.

Experience the thrill of terrible management and abuse

I worked at Cash Store full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is really good and the job title looks good on your resume.

ConsI tried not to be too negative but this is not a good company to work for. At least not for me. I worked at the store level and you are not valued in any shape or form. Your district manager will be less than helpful as they are only available by phone. So hopefully they trained you well. At the most you work with 3 other people so prepare for hell on earth of one of you doesn't get along. I worked with a newly hired store manager that refused to accept my help or advice and would get mad at me because I was younger than her. She constantly went behind my back about anything to management and would force me to do all the transactions and collection calls. I worked for the company for 2 and a half years. That's longer than most. You will get terminated close to earning your vacation time or because you couldn't get people who don't and won't to come and pay back their loans. Management will embarrass you in front of others and rarely have your back. Don't get me wrong. I've had 2 awesome DMs and my first store had wonderful coworkers but the company doesn't care about you. I used to have to work by myself all the time and for the type of b business it was I was surprised no one tried to rob me. If you work at the North Texas locations and have Rebekah Floyd as your region manager you better press those lips to her tush. She forms personal opinions and will hold grudges against you. I offended her once because I told her a restaurant nearby had good chicken and she told me she was a vegetarian. Didn't even know. There is so much wrong. Also if you have kids or a life... Go elsewhere. It's an inconvenience to them and you will be looked down on. I had to cover a lot for my store manager because she had kids and there was an emergency. They wouldn't let her leave but I would tell her I'd take care of things. Sad. I hear not much has changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Ahlberg, please teach your store management team to coach for success and growth. Stop letting them throw perfectly good employees under the bus and question their methods instead. Management needs to be held responsible. Most importantly, encourage compassion and humanity. It's severely lacking. Kudos to Elizabeth, a DM I had for being one of the only knowledgeable and respectful bosses I had.

Decent pay for little work, but questionable morals & values

I worked at Cash Store full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay was decent. It's based off cost of living in the area, so it is different everywhere. As a store manager, I started at $12/hour which isn't bad. They also have a schedule for raises. 50 cent raise after 3 months, another 50 cents after 6, and another 50 cents after 1 year. After that (I think) it goes up 50 cents every six months you are there. I ended at $13.50, which was pretty nice because as a store manager you also have to be there open-close Mon-Sat, so you're working around 47 hours/week & getting paid for your OT. Averaged around 35k/year.
The work was also easy, no physically demanding labor. You just sit at your desk, make phone calls and assist customers.
My manager was really cool too. Really down to Earth, funny chick who was easy to chat with when she was in the store. Awesome people skills, she was really good at her job.

ConsOne of the biggest issues is that I had to work there by myself with thousands of dollars in the store. I worked at a fast food restaurant before, and the policy there was that you were NEVER allowed to be in the store alone, in case of a robbery or if you had an accident and hurt yourself you don't want to be all alone with no help. So if someone came in angry (which happened almost every day) and wanted to rob me or hurt me, all I had to defend myself was a panic button. I was also supposed to have a button to remotely lock the door (if I saw someone suspicious coming in?) but the door does not shut all the way so it doesn't work. While I worked there, another store in the area about 10 minutes away got robbed. Hearing the details from the workers there was pretty scary. The guy just jumped over the counter! There is no protection from anyone that wants to do something like that.

I guess my biggest issue with the company is their management policies are not right. I will say although I had a really cool area manager, the problem is the policies that are coming from way higher up the totem pole. I worked there for 9 months when I had to take a Thursday through Monday off for minor surgery. This was time that was requested with more than 2 weeks notice and approved by my manager. When I came in to work the following Tuesday morning, on my way there I had a sick feeling in my stomach. I thought it was strange my manager hadn't at least texted, or called, to make sure everything went alright and to confirm I would be in on Tuesday morning. I got to work, and my manager was there with her manager as well, she already had all my stuff packed in a box on the counter. She read off a script printed out on a piece of paper saying I'm fired, & gave me the HR number to call for more info. I, of course, called the number. They wouldn't tell me a thing about the reason why I was fired. I was told Illinois is an "at will" state (which is true) and they do not need to disclose a reason. This was really, really disappointing after working there for 9 months, I couldn't even get a constructive reason why I was let go? I have never been fired in my life, and I'm really not taking it personally, I would have just really liked to have some reason why; if I wasn't doing something right, I would have liked to know.

To be 100% completely honest, & not trying to offend anyone here, it was really really hard for me to upsell people and convince people that taking out a loan at (no exaggeration) 400% APR was a smart financial decision. There were customers that literally made $1600/month, and took out a loan with biweekly payments of $400. Insanity.

There is a high turnover rate. There is sort of room for advancement, but you have to be really good at upselling people and blowing your stores numbers out of the water. My store did really well in 4/5 areas, but it didn't matter that I was doubling last year in those areas because that one other area wasn't doing well. It will take you a few years at least to get promoted as well, even if you are doing really well, you have to wait for a position to open up.

Dealing with the customers is really hard, even the ones who are able to make their payments are tough to deal with. They either hate you, because if they miss one payment out of their 6 month schedule, the interest (just because of the super high rate) piles on so quickly it's almost impossible to get back on track. Or they want to stay in the store for an hour telling you (for example) about their sick son and they have to take this loan out because of medical bills piling up, or being laid off work. I don't mind listening to these people who are going through such a hard time in their lives, but it's seriously day in and day out, and it can get really sad. You can't always help them. Actually, 9 times out of 10, the loans hurt them more in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure if I really can give any advice; my area supervisor was a great manager, and the other policies (such as the no-reason, read-off-a-script firing and the 400% interest rate putting people out of their cars/homes) are things that honestly won't be changed. That's their business model, that's how they make money. I'm predicting their business to be getting worse in the next few years, considering the economy coming back, I really hope less people will be losing their money to these types of loans & getting their credit back.

Do NOT work for this company

I worked at Cash Store

ProsAbsolutley nothing. This company sucks.

ConsWill work you like a dog and then discard you when they can't get any more blood from you. They need to put places like this out of business. They force you to scam people into taking loans for more then they can afford and then blame the employees when these people can't pay you back.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they are people not just a number. People are NOT disposable.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Horrible training

Beloit, WI

I worked at Cash Store full-time for less than a year

ProsI can't think of anything good

ConsThe store I was hired at had a bitter Asst. Manager who refused to help me in any shape or form. I was appalled that my District Manager took the situation so lightly, seeing how she warned me going in I may have a problem with her. I was very disappointed and only last 2 weeks. Training out of a book is not the same as being trained on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain on the floor, that is where and how most people learn...not every situation is in your manual

Excellent Company to work for

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cash Store full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe hours, the management team are the best in the business. Excellent benefits and environment. We are not your average "payday" loan company. We care about our customers and that is why they return.

ConsSome misconceptions about this type of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what you're doing. Great job

Do not work for this company!

Eastland, TX

I worked at Cash Store full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is pretty good and your coworker might be nice.

ConsThey are the worst company in the entire world to work for! If your store does bad, then you are gone. No questions about it. If you question about your job, they will lie to your face and secretly post online that they are hiring, and come Monday morning, they read a script to you and fire you for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON! They rip customers off and charge WAY too much! You will only have your job for a few months, so no need to have a fire on your work history. NOT WORTH IT!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your turnover rate. Stop firing people for no reason because the store is a terrible and does not do as well as whoever sets the budget wants. Management is doing an absolutely terrible job!

Worked for Cash Store? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cash Store reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cash Store CEO Trevor Ahlberg. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Cash Store employees.