Cashstar Reviews

1. Seasonal Customer Care

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative

I worked at Cashstar part-time

Pros

I loved the positive work environment. Workers are treated like adults. I was happy to go to work there. Feels like a company run with integrity.

Cons

I wish I could have worked there all year, not just seasonally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, you guys deserve success.

cashstar review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great - good people that truly embody the Maine way, beer on Thursdays, fun outings, etc. Also a few really smart people.

Cons

Poor management, juvenile and unprofessional, company isn't quite going places, wasn't much room for personal growth and slow to promote.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you're in high school. The gossip and games are very unbecoming and immature.

My experience at CashStar has been nothing but positive. The Exec team is open to suggestions and our company goals.

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executives have been very transparent in their approach and goals. The entire team works close together to accomplish these goals.

Cons

We are building the company fast but in a growth start-up environment resources can be tight. Must think out of the box.

Advice to Management

Executive Team please keep communicating your vision of the company. This is one place where over communication is necessary. Its the only way the CashStar team can help build the vision and help add color to the structure of the company.

Great company, awesome people, innovative products!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The rest of the engineering staff and myself are constantly facing technical challenges that push us to learn more about our field than ever envisioned. Having been here for 2 years, everyone feels like family, and that makes coming into work so much more fun. I work closely with some of the smartest people that I've met, which helps drive intelligent and productive conversations and product development. Everyone here is able to contribute to CashStar's success no matter what job they have or department they're in.

Cons

Small teams can sometimes be difficult for timely project success. Though tightly-knit and very productive, some projects teams constantly face large innovative work loads that are more appropriate for teams twice the size.

6. Good middle management, poor communicatio from the upper levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The place has a great start-up atmosphere, everybody is easy going. It's really one of a kind in Portland Maine.

Cons

The pay isn't great but that comes with the trade-offs you want to make. There aren't similar opportunities in the area.

Advice to Management

Communicate your plans to your workers.

7. Fantastic growth opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, top to bottom - everyone is extremely committed. Outstanding benefits and competitive compensation package. I started at CashStar with a wide variety of responsibilities, it being a start-up, but as we grew I moved into a position that I am truly passionate about. I was provided the opportunity to shape my own role at CashStar, and have a lot of room to grow.

Cons

Very few. Long hours, but when you're passionate about what you do, it's not a problem. Very flexible schedule - as long as you get your work done. We're outgrowing the office space, but have plans to move in the next several months. Growing pains, but we're slowly and effectively working through them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Hire great people, be transparent about the company, and continue to push us to do amazing, innovative things.

Great company/team/market/location

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CashStar is so obviously on the right side of a trend. Winning awards, setting revenue records and being named to Forbes, Inc. 500 and Best Places to Work lists keeps morale high. There is latitude internally to find and work on a project that really gets you excited. Bonuses/benefits are extremely generous. The office is fun and full of young go-getters (well-stocked kitchen and ping-pong table included). Clearly there were some organizational changes in 2013, but those changes were made to align the company for future success. With many recent hires, the team is stronger than ever.

Cons

CashStar probably isn't growing the team as quickly as the work demands, and as a result some opportunity is being left on the table. That can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in product - as the market grows the field will probably be more competitive. Continue communicating well and being accessible for chats with all levels of employees.

9. Exciting and Rewarding Place to Work

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The market potential for CashStar and digital gifting is huge. New leadership has the company on a path to really scale and transform the company. (New CEO has improved benefits this year, including giving us an extra week of PTO.) You can't find a better team of people working their hardest to drive innovation and take the products and services to the next level. There's a level of excitement at this company that's really energizing.

Cons

Typical challenges associated with a company adding employees and customers fast, evolving processes and systems, etc.

10. Great products, big market, good team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're developing sweet products on a terrific architecture. Hiring lots of good people and new CEO is cool, gets sh*t done.

Cons

Current office is old, layout is no good and we've run out of space. Think we're moving soon but can't come soon enough.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring more engineers!!

11. Fast growing and lots of energy

I have been working at Cashstar

Pros

Inc 500 company is growing fast. Super strong and innovative technology stack driving record sales. Amazing clients and a really fun team. Crazy co-founder and former CEO was thankfully dragged out of building. New CEO at least seems to have his act together.

Cons

There's plenty of water cooler chatter. And plenty of baggage from the old CEO.

Advice to Management

New CEO should keep making changes. And invest in product development. Company could be huge if we get things moving faster!

RSS Feed </> Embed