Caspio

Caspio Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

Caspio Founder, President and CEO Frank Zamani

Frank Zamani

High growth potential startup-like company with very smart, driven, and friendly employees

ProsI have been working at Caspio for a couple of years. I love working at Caspio for the following reasons:

-Everyone respects one another. No politics. Very family oriented.
    -It's a diverse group of people. Together, we speak 19 different languages. We have almost the equal number of males and females.
    -We usually go to lunches together. There are occasional happy hours.
    -If you work hard and show results, you will be reward appropriately. When I get a raise, it's a pretty significant.
    -CEO is very caring who loves to give back to the community. We try to do a lot of charity work together.
    -We get free food and drinks (Odwalla, Naked, Starbucks, etc.) with breakfast and lunch on certain days.
    -CEO is very humble and works really hard. He does not force anyone else to work as hard as him but he does expect you to get your job done and done right.
    -During Halloween, almost everyone dresses up. If you don’t, you are sent back home ;)
    -There is ping pong table, Xbox, work out sessions and Wii fit.
    -The company is metrics driven. If you have an idea with data to back it up, the company will support your idea.
    -We help many companies with their projects. We help many big businesses including Fortune1000 streamline their process in the cloud. We help many startups build their web applications. I personally learned many things throughout the years. It’s as if I started many startups myself. If you love bring ideas to life, you will love working at Caspio.
    -The product has a lot of potential. More and more business processes will be moving in the cloud and we are in great position to dominate our field.

The bottom line is that if you love technology and passionate about helping others, you will love working at Caspio. If you have an entrepreneur mentality who can show results, you will excel at Caspio. It’s not really for people who are looking for a 9-5 mediocre job. It’s for people who wants to make it big in life and work hard and most importantly smart to achieve their goals.

Cons-Done is better than perfect - sometimes, our desire to be perfect slows down our growth
    -No bonus at the end of the year

Advice to Senior Management-Aggressively hire more people
    -Have a rigid schedule for projects and enforce on-time completion. Don't need to be perfect the first time around.

Caspio Response

Jul 10, 2014Founder, President and CEO

At Caspio we are proud of our team. The best in business. Everyone is dedicated to their company and to excellence. Those who are not serious in life, don't last at Caspio. This is why our team ... More

It is, by far, the most fun I've had working at any company.

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsEmployees who are devoted to seeing Caspio excel and succeed care enough to stay past the typical 8
    hour shift. If you work hard you will definitely be rewarded.
    It is, by far, the most fun I've had working at any company. We do have Halloween events, and no,
    CEO has never won a single event (if you've read other reviews). We do happy hours together, we go
    on Tahoe trips together, we do BBQs together, we plan annual dinners together, we've done Lemans
    GoKarting together, and the list goes on. Some with, but most without the CEO there. We have an
    awesome group of people working there who instantly connect with anyone new, and we go above-and-
    beyond in making sure they're properly welcomed - sometimes in fun ways :)
    We have great benefits, from insurance/dental/vision coverage, stock options, 401k, 3 week vacation,
    etc.
    Free catered lunch once a week, free Monday morning breakfast (usually Specialties), and our
    kitchen is always stocked with healthy items: pears, bananas, string cheese, yogurts, chips,
    carrots, apples, lunchables, grinola bars, starbucks coffee, sodas, fruit juice, and other assorted
    items.
    Caspio CEO is a friendly, has a work hard play hard mentality, and loves to help the less fortunate. Together, as a team, we've done tons of volunteer work through Harvest, Mona Foundation, and other outreach programs. The best thing about the CEO is that he genuinely cares about others, and loves to see everyone succeed. On a personal note -- I started at Caspio as a trainee (no benefits) and, 2 months later, I became very sick. I told my supervisor that I need to go home because I wasn’t feeling well at the time. The CEO (who I hardly knew then), CALLED ME on my cell phone and told me to come back so that I could fill out the insurance paperwork and go see the doctor. I don't know very many CEOs who would be caring enough to go that type of distance. Those are the types of values I look for in people, and I'm happy to have given the last 5+ years in seeing Caspio grow and reach new heights.
    We are a privately held company, stable, profitable, and we believe in a family type environment. 0 politics and we love to see our company thrive and beat out the competition.

ConsEven though we're working tirelessly to improve our product, it's still lacking a few functionalities to really propel it through the roof. We'll get there soon enough, and we're hoping that you can also help us achieve that goal.

Awesome team with a growing product.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsWhen I was first contacted by Caspio, I didn't know what to expect because the website was vague and the product looked outdated. But, out of the interviews that I had, Caspio employees were the only ones who drew me in and got me interested in their product and what they were trying to do with it. The fact that the CEO personally called me to make an offer was also a key factor in my decision.

Since then, I can say that I don't regret my choice of joining Caspio and here are few reasons:

- The team: We have people from all over the world with a mix of culture, you will learn a bit of each of them.

- Activities: You will find yourself joining happy hours, doing many activities (running, go karting, shooting, playing soccer, basketball and on and on) and understand that at Caspio, the motto is work hard, play hard.

- The product: Not perfect but we are improving everyday. Since I joined, we’ve had a few releases with new UI, new features and knowing what is on the roadmap really makes me believe in what we are doing and where we are headed.

- My department: I'm working with a group of people from which I can learn and share everyday.

- The office: I read other posts saying that there are cameras and that we are ‘in a prison’. Honestly, if you do your job, you should not be bothered by cameras. Like any other company, they are there only for security reasons. In terms of hours, it is pretty flexible. If a break is needed, you won’t have to worry about being marked as a slacker. All in all, work hard and efficiently, and you’ll be fine.

Cons- Not enough people know about the product. We need better exposure.

Advice to Senior Management- Need to hire more personnel to expedite growth of the company
    - Need to release more often to improve the product faster

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CEO thinks he's Supreme Commander of the People of Caspio

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Air-conditioning in the summer but you're probably being watched on camera.
    * Some of the kindest people work there, but they're being taken advantage of...

Cons* Lack of vision and product definition.
    * CEO loves to play Kim Jong Un: Show off his vacation photos at company meetings, dress up for and win every Halloween contest.
    * Company brags about being "self-funded" which translates to lack of accountability.
    * People are consistently paid 30% less than others in comparable positions and industries.
    * Absolutely rigid no-work-from-home policy, rigid hours in-hours out. Must take one hour for lunch. Very prison-like feel. (only thing missing is a punch-card machine).
    * They keep changing pricing, product use-cases too often for the poor sales team to keep up.

Needs a management reboot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsStill a small company in a growing space, so a lot of room for growth
    A lot of amazing employees who give their all
    Diverse employee base

ConsThis has the feel of a profit squeeze from the self-funded CEO
    Very little investment in R&D and true product/corporate marketing; a few sales and support people manage the entire customer base. A UI update should not take 22 months!
    CEO micromanages in every area; should let the directors do their job
    A bit of a prison culture: security cameras inside the office, time in office highly tracked, computers monitored, etc.
    A schizophrenic approach to product offerings and pricing; things change on a dime which confuses and alienates large portions of new and existing customers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a COO that understands how sales and marketing work in this industry in 2014
    Double down on engineering

Horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcept for the CEO, other people are very nice and helpful.

Cons- Since the CEO funds the company, he seems to give himself the rights to treat this company and employees as his personal toys.
    - Although company meeting is hosted every Monday, it is pretty much a chance for the CEO to observe whether the employees are working rather than a time for new ideas and suggestions.
    - Surveillance cameras everywhere so that CEO can watch his employees - ridiculous!
    - CEO tends to change direction very often without telling his employees, yet he somehow manages to repeat his own mistakes over and over.
    - Since funding comes from CEO's own pocket, he is very concerned about how his money is used. He pushes everyone to work to death. You may sign up for some other job and end up being in sales in some way. No work/life balance, no clear forward plan. Nothing really makes sense at Caspio. The company seems to try to survive day by day instead of shooting for a bigger goal.
    - In general, I had no idea such a company still existed here in the Valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you love this company, step down to a Board position and leave the executive job to another, more capable person.

Management is confused and workers are underpaid.

ProsThe people I work with are nice.

ConsThe CEO changes direction a lot but somehow manages to make the same mistakes over and over. While there's lip service about personal growth, the opportunities for increased salary are almost non-existent. My salary is 75% of what my friends with similar roles get at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we would be better off if management weren't telling us what to do. They say they listen, but I'm not sure they really know how.

Great company and product

ProsGrowing company with lots of opportunities, do what you really want to do.
    Management is helpful, and encourages you to learn and grow.
    Working with great people that are enthusiastic, and work hard.
    Free snake and drinks, game room after work.

ConsNo new year bonus.
    A growing company needs to hire more employees.

Caspio Response

Jul 10, 2014Founder, President and CEO

Team Caspio is second to none. And yes we should be hiring more and recently we have brought on board many new talented people. The future is very exciting...

Great company with incredible career opportunities

ProsIncredible career opportunities. Accessible senior management. Open-door policy. Great corporate culture. Management genuinely cares about employees. Considerable teamwork and collaboration. Big rewards if you deliver results.

ConsProcesses change frequently. Be prepared to adjust your projects and priorities accordingly.

Great company to work for if you have entrepreneur mentality

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros-Growth potential is incredible. If you work hard but more importantly show results then you will get rewarded for your efforts. If you are looking for a job just to get by, then you will not last. However, if you are looking for a job where you want to make a big difference and do whatever it takes to execute then this is the place for you. You will quickly grow in your career. You are measured by your contribution rather than you credentials.
    -Everyone is friendly, warm, and helpful. The company has an open door policy with very little hierarchy. If you need help, you can schedule with virtually anyone and they will help you out.
    -The product is unique and has a lot of potential. The customer base is amazing.
    -The CEO is tough but is reasonable and kind.
    -Very diverse team with different backgrounds which gives you an insight in many cultures. There are a couple of potlucks with different variety of food. There are also company picnics, annual events, volunteer events, and occasional happy hours.

Cons-Being in Silicon Valley, there is too many competition for engineering talent. Hence, there is not engineering resources.
    -The biggest challenge is product exposure. Not enough people know about the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementAggressively hire more engineers, do more marketing/advertising, and provide more employee training.

Worked for Caspio? Contribute to the Community!