Casting House

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.5

Jason Borgstahl

Project Coordinator at Casting House.

I worked at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with clients through the old fashion method of telephone. It was quite refreshing not going through a pre-recorded telephone system, or social and technological media. It was quite refreshing hearing another person on the other end of the call.

The managements and staff are all very nice and welcoming.

Casting house invests allot into training their staff. After training with management, I was already starting my position with more knowledge and experience than when I applied.

Their pay and benefits were reasonable.

They offered opportunities to learn and train in other departments.

Cons

I found their operation process to be hard to follow.

I wish to suggest a smoother operation transition between departments in the company in order to complete the projects.

Negative Work place

I worked at Casting House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am a jewelry lover, so at first was excited and eager to learn everything

Cons

It is an overwhelming place of employment. 1 star for the job itself. I added another star because I learned a lot. I saw so many bad practices and people treated poorly. The manufacturing is run by a Mexican girl who is cold and mean, but I felt bad for her. They do bite off more than they can chew. I think a lot of the mean faces and attitude around casting house has more to do with the unrealistic demands from the clueless suburban man running the joint. You will rarely see him, but when you do he may be screaming at someone on his cell phone or blowing smoke ___________.

You suck. Learn how to run a business.

This company does not deserve a 1 star rating

Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Any company and/or any job AFTER working at Casting House will be absolutely incredible in comparison.

Cons

There is no growth here. Only long hours with an unrealistic workload. The system is very hard to follow.Just when I thought I understood my job responsibilities I find out that i have SO many more responsibilities. The stress is not worth the pay. This company is also quick to hire, quick to fire. It is always understaffed and just expects everyone to absorb more workload when someone quits or gets fired. Most of the employees have only been there less than a year. What does that tell you?

Shake the hands of the employees who actually show up everyday because this is a TERRIBLE work environment.

Oh No, this is bad place

Current Employee - Customer Service Department in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Department in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Monday thru Friday. I heard weekend work is only around the holidays.

Cons

If you like sweat-shop work then you will love working here. If you like really long hours, people complaining all day, managers that are too busy for you but then get really mad when something goes wrong (and of course blame the problem on you), then you will love working here. If you love hearing phones ring off the hook, bumping elbows with the people sitting next to you and seeing girls cry all day long, then you will love working here. If you love corruption, oppression and extreme anxiety, then you will love working here.

I am one of those who does not love the things I listed above. My resume is all polished up and ready to go! As soon as I get a call I am done. Bussing tables was better than this.

Please get a clue. Read a book with a title that sounds something like "How to run a company for Dummies."

Just Keep Looking. AVOID COORDINATOR POSITION!

I worked at Casting House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you'll learn a lot about custom jewelry

Cons

where to begin! someone else said something about the interview pitch compared to the actual job - VERY DIFFERENT! It sounds pretty exciting in the interview, but then you get the job: The lights go out! No, seriously. They do. You are thrown into madness and everyone is pretty cold and the mangers are either not involved or micromanager when they are involved and talk to you like you are a child. It is the absolute worst. The work load as someone else mentioned is intense. If you are not interested in jewelry, then not for a single second should you consider this. If you are interested in jewelry, well...you will learn a lot about custom jewelry, but Ask for $50K Plus! BTW - you will see slavery here too!

Be present, Be respectful. Pay these people what the deserve to be paid!

Great Management, amazing and creative vibe from people in all departments

I have been working at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You learn a lot
    -Fast paced
    -Management does not micromanage and open minded to problem solutions.

Cons

-Small room for advancement
    -Priority to larger accounts

-Keep up the good work :)

Fun Work Place

I worked at Casting House full-time

Pros

great work environment, fun place to learn how fine jewelry is made. Loved working with all my co-workers.

Cons

they don't give you enough vacation days off and not good enough benefits. They need to have maternity leave for those women who are pregnant.

Awesome until you get in the door.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They provide an interesting work environment.

Cons

Training is severely lacking. They explain the most explicit details of the casting machines and it has no impact on your actual job. The environment lacks structure and professionalism. Minimal communication and absolutely no consistency with schedule.

Instead of having a senior manager run the office from Colorado, communicate and pay attention to the fact that some of your employees have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Respectful, enjoyable environment

I have been working at Casting House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Room to learn all you need to learn with great guidance from co-workers and managers
    -Opportunity to move around departments
    -Great opportunity to work with other people in other departments to learn more about manufacturing

Cons

-Loads of work 9+ hour days

First you'll love it... then you'll hate it

I worked at Casting House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to immerse yourself and gain valuable experience in the jewelry industry. Some very good people.

Cons

If you don't have already have that fine jewelry experience your starting pay will take a hit, and it will never recover substantially. If you do already have a few yrs under your belt and know how to work in a backstabbing system you might be fine. I saw over 20 people come and go in one year. Rarely worth staying over a year if your client facing and by then they would have already milked you. You can get promoted with out a pay raise for hard work. Some dishonest and unethical practices across the board. Late nights up to 8pm waiting to ship out the package your responsible for. Your better off working at a jewelry store for a fraction of the stress if your looking to gain experience in this industry. Also, during your initial interview you may be misled as to what you will actually do.

Communicate! There is very poor communication management to staff, within management and within staff sitting right next to each other. Then listen! This is causing a lot of problems. Don't take on work you cant handle. 2-3 good senior managers others are in there own little world and don't look at the big picture. And stop being so cheap, you will keep more flies with honey.