Castle Branch

Brett Martin

Good People

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for more than a year

ProsFree breakfast every Friday. Relaxed atmosphere that leads to friendly people. A good training program that gives you the knowledge you need.

ConsIt can be quite boring at times. There isn't much interaction between co-workers. I hardly ever spoke with my superior, they stay locked in their offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with you employees and show a plan of action.

Don't do it

I have been working at Castle Branch

ProsI'll have to get back to you on that.

ConsPay not good, mindless work.

Misleading

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for more than a year

ProsFree food on Friday, can be exciting at times.

ConsHigh turnover, low pay, pay raises are a joke, no clear idea of job, not sure where they find their managers...

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and empower current employees and you may be able to keep them.

Low pay and micromanagement

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Castle Branch full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing people and it is a good place to gain experience if you haven't had job before.Fun work atmosphere.

ConsEverything else!! They do not pay enough for work provided. There is no upward movement in company and promote based on favoritism.

High School Part Two

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, left mostly to your own devices. Management is outwardly friendly. VERY relaxed dress code.

ConsLow pay for work, relatively high stress. You have to meet fairly reasonable production standards per hour but you definitely have to compensate for an off day. Errors are often recorded inconsistently so you never really have an idea what your score will be until the auditors decide if they're going to be anal or not that week, which certainly contributes to the stress. Very high school-esque environment. Supervisors & Management tend to ignore numbers if an employee is their buddy, but if you're not in the right circles you can't slip up at all or you'll be kept doing the same stuff until you burn out on it and they get rid of you. If you do work here, make sure to adequately kiss your supervisor's butt and make friends with the right people. Also, due to the fact that your production is tracked per hour, you have to clock in and out to go to the bathroom, or get a drink of water. It's just kind of wrong, for lack of a better word. High turnover is part of the business plan for Castle Branch. If you get hired on for the summer busy season, expect to be laid off come September. Some people get to stay, but it's a very small percentage, and if you're not part of an acceptable social circle within the company, forget about it. Castle Branch is an exemplar of the current business plan of hiring recent college graduates trying to find a "grown up" job and paying them less than adequate value for work performed. Work here if you must, the pay is still better than working part time in a kitchen, but be prepared to play the game if you wanna stick.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun your business more professionally, and reward serious employees instead of your friends. Your company is clearly on the way up, but your employees don't feel invested in it because they know you underpay them and pocket all the money for your own ostentatious desires.

Could be better

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat location, friendly co-workers, great benefit offers for FT employees, "fun-days". It is in a good location compared to the area with shopping and food directly across the street, the co-workers I've had are extremely supportive and friendly, we stick up for each other. Had 2 great supervisors (both who either moved departments or found better jobs) but out of like 10+ supervisors and managers, not saying much. Only ones who cared about the customers AND the employees.
They do have these "Fun-Days" where food is brought in on the owner's expense or certain games are scheduled but mostly these are during the "Peak" season when we have the most business. The yearly Christmas party is always a blast though.

ConsLess than average pay for positions, high turn over rate among employees, no real room for growth in departments, management/supervisors can be gossipy and back-stabbing to their employees if they feel their positioned is even slightly threatened or just don't like you. Like most companies they have those few people who are only in higher positions because they know/related to someone higher up the chain but don't want to do their jobs right so it hurts the department severely.
Employees are expected to take over management duties the manager doesn't feel like doing WITHOUT extra pay or benefits and if they decline to take on the extra duties they're out-casted and schedules are cut. Saw this happen twice to fellow co-workers. with as often as they "re-arrange" the management and supervisor roles there isn't much room for growth unless you come straight in to that position from the get go.
Management will boast about how they care more about the customers but when it comes down to it and how they treat their employees and train them, it's really about the numbers. How many records you can review in so many hours or your fired, how many orders you can push out, how many phone calls you can complete while making them less than 2 minutes (What kind of customer service is that?!), how many sales you can push into a contract without fully going over it, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart actually paying attention to what it is your employees jobs are so you know what to do and how to help out. Put yourself in their shoes, especially since 90% of them are working for less than the average pay for you and busting their butts for your name.

Fired for lack of faith

Order Fulfillment (Former Employee)

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for less than a year

Prosgood hours and flexible schedule

ConsYou're not paid nearly enough for what you do.

Person who trained me did not give a crap if I was learning the material at all. I would ask questions and he would give what he thought was a good response. Even if he didn't answer my question at all, I would ask again and he would get irritated and give me the exact same answer.

They fired me because during the first phase of training I had 10 days to do 10 requirements...at the end of 5 days I had only completed 2 of them so they didn't think I would make it. I found out that the next day they gave everyone an extra 3 days to fill the requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your trainers can actually train.

ehh

I have been working at Castle Branch

Prosgood people, tough company though.

ConsToo much rotation and change.

Ok for a job

I worked at Castle Branch full-time for more than a year

ProsLot's a of social gatherings, nice people to work with and great schedule.

ConsPay and benefits are horrific! Stay away if you need to live alone or support a family. Temporary employees and permanent employees make the same amount. No bonuses at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better systems company wide and pay people more than peanuts.

It was a very stressful place to work.

I worked at Castle Branch full-time

ProsThere was a causal dress code.

ConsManagement and team leads are all in some type of high school clique. They favor people who kiss their butts, and they promote those who they like. The do not care about anyone but their friends, especially those in their clique. There is a ton of gossip in this place. Be careful who you talk to and who you talk around. Almost everything you say will be repeated in some way to hurt you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, get out of your high school mindset. This is supposed to be a professional place of business, not gossip.

Worked for Castle Branch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Castle Branch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Castle Branch CEO Brett Martin. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Castle Branch employees.