CastleBranch

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brett Martin

A great place to grow

ProsVery casual dress code, free fruit provided daily, along with weekly bagels and muffins. There is also a gym with free classes for employees. A mentoring program was also started recently, which provides for help with career planning and development. Volunteering has also become a greater focus lately, allowing employees some paid time off to volunteer.

ConsStarting salaries can tend to be a little lower, but that seems to be a reflection of the area the company is located. On the positive side, there does seem to be opportunities for continued growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working towards the path of providing opportunties for employees to develop their careers. There seems to be some good examples of that within the company, and it would be great to see more of that.

Castle Branch is a great place to start a career

Wilmington, NC

ProsCastle Branch is a growing company with many career and growth opportunities. They train employees for their specific job and provide various coaching and mentoring opportunities for employees. The campus is really great (gym, free food, other good stuff) and the managers seem to care about their teams.

ConsWhile I have heard some of my co-workers talk about pay not being great, my research of the Wilmington, NC market shows that Castle Branch provides average starting salaries. This combined with a growing company means opportunities for career growth. The company benefits are really good, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like what you are doing and how you are doing it. I have seen Castle Branch grow from a small background screening company to a very successful and large company. You respect your employees and take good care of them. You are involved in the Wilmington community and you give your employees a chance to be involved, too. I appreciate that, a lot.

Laid back, good people, great facility, buts its background screening(how fun can it be?)

Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat benefits for the young professional, free fruit every morning, fruit plus bagels on Friday mornings, casual dress code, company gardens with fresh veggies for all employees, two company break rooms, ping pong tables, marketplace for purchase of food, gym/training facility with free personal trainers, 5 minutes from the beach, right across from the Mayfaire shopping center, discounts all around town for CastleBranch employees, Volunteer Hours, flexible schedules, etc. GET THE WORK DONE AND BE REWARDED! Try your best to take advantage of all the amentities. Overall great place to work if you don't mind talking about our system and background checks all day.

ConsI think most people are bitter about CastleBranch because of the pay. I will not disagree that they pay is low for most starting employees. It is typically because CastleBranch gives the opportunity for people with no professional experience to come and work in a professional environment. Outside of sales, it is tough to increase your pay in a quick time frame unless given the opportunity to work overtime. Unattainable goals are often set for the worker bees while management sits in meetings and talks about God knows whats.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, do you have to have 5-10, thirty minute long meetings per day? This leaves no time to deal with the individuals who actually need your help; the workers. I think the department heads and managers need to work together better. It takes days to get answers and by that time clients are very frustrated. Your job is important and your employees look to you for guidance! Do not be unapproachable. This is a terrible tactic to managing employees who already are stressed to meet these virtually unattainable goals!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Surprisingly nice

Order Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsPay is pretty good for what you're doing
    Everyone seems to be in a good mood and greets you kindly
    Hours are very good, with easy to obtain overtime during peak season
    Very thorough training
    Easy to move from different positions as long as no degree or special knowledge is required.

ConsCurrent shift, 11-8pm, doesn't allowed for any kind of a day life.
    Work week is Sunday through Thursday, not a problem for some, but I never enjoyed working on Sundays and if you go to church you will miss it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs it's my first week on the job, there really isn't a whole lot I can say about the management at Castle Branch. From how everyone acts, I can assume a tight ship is ran and everyone is pretty satisfied.

Good People

Sales (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsFree breakfast every Friday. Relaxed atmosphere that leads to friendly people. A good training program that gives you the knowledge you need.

ConsIt can be quite boring at times. There isn't much interaction between co-workers. I hardly ever spoke with my superior, they stay locked in their offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with you employees and show a plan of action.

Could be better

Operations (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat location, friendly co-workers, great benefit offers for FT employees, "fun-days". It is in a good location compared to the area with shopping and food directly across the street, the co-workers I've had are extremely supportive and friendly, we stick up for each other. Had 2 great supervisors (both who either moved departments or found better jobs) but out of like 10+ supervisors and managers, not saying much. Only ones who cared about the customers AND the employees.
    They do have these "Fun-Days" where food is brought in on the owner's expense or certain games are scheduled but mostly these are during the "Peak" season when we have the most business. The yearly Christmas party is always a blast though.

ConsLess than average pay for positions, high turn over rate among employees, no real room for growth in departments, management/supervisors can be gossipy and back-stabbing to their employees if they feel their positioned is even slightly threatened or just don't like you. Like most companies they have those few people who are only in higher positions because they know/related to someone higher up the chain but don't want to do their jobs right so it hurts the department severely.
    Employees are expected to take over management duties the manager doesn't feel like doing WITHOUT extra pay or benefits and if they decline to take on the extra duties they're out-casted and schedules are cut. Saw this happen twice to fellow co-workers. with as often as they "re-arrange" the management and supervisor roles there isn't much room for growth unless you come straight in to that position from the get go.
    Management will boast about how they care more about the customers but when it comes down to it and how they treat their employees and train them, it's really about the numbers. How many records you can review in so many hours or your fired, how many orders you can push out, how many phone calls you can complete while making them less than 2 minutes (What kind of customer service is that?!), how many sales you can push into a contract without fully going over it, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart actually paying attention to what it is your employees jobs are so you know what to do and how to help out. Put yourself in their shoes, especially since 90% of them are working for less than the average pay for you and busting their butts for your name.

Ok for a job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLot's a of social gatherings, nice people to work with and great schedule.

ConsPay and benefits are horrific! Stay away if you need to live alone or support a family. Temporary employees and permanent employees make the same amount. No bonuses at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better systems company wide and pay people more than peanuts.

A decent place to get some office experience.

Temporary (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsGood benefits, 401k matching, vacation, healthcare etc for full time permanent employees only. Lots of celebrations and food days. Everyone is very nice. If you are good at repetitive tasks day after day it will give you good office experience for your next job.

ConsStressful work environment, low pay for the type of work, volume driven production required. They hire lots of people for the summer and then fire lots in the fall. You have to go fast and have good accuracy and you might become permanent.

Typical "burn & churn". OK if you need work experience or a short-term "survival job" but don't stay too long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsDecent place if you are a college student or recent grad and need some work experience on your resume other than waiting tables. It's a paycheck in a safe part of town. They do have decent benefits (health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, 401K).

ConsIt was a fun forward-thinking relaxed place to work when they first relocated to Wilmington to Raleigh and they resembled a fledgling Internet start-up company. Ten years later, they are very corporate and very profit-driven, the fun atmosphere is gone, and there is no longer any loyalty to employees. Except for some basic office skills, any skills you learn here will not transfer to another job, so I recommend not staying for more than 2 years, until you can find something better or save up enough money to move out of Wilmington to a city where there are actually decent paying jobs. No one (including managers) stay here more than 5 years if they really care about career advancement or increasing their salaries (neither of which will happen at "the ranch"). If you work there for more than 5 years, management can (and will) find a reason to eventually dismiss you so that they can bring in someone younger at half the pay. They will "smile in your face", then kick you to the curb the first chance they get. Management openly flaunts their fancy houses (beachfront, Landfall, etc.), their expensive cars, company plane, and fancy office space with modern upscale furnishings in Mayfair, all while many employees are barely paid more than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the yearly Christmas party with the open bar and door prizes and required yearly speech about "how we're growing". The only things growing are the shareholders' bank accounts, collection of real estate and cars, and egos. Instead, use the Christmas party funds to either increase lower-paid employees pay, or increase the 401K match, which currently is pitiful. Only half the employees show up for the party anyway since it's tacky and lame.

Too new to form in-depth opinion

Order Fulfillment (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsFlexible Hours, Liberal Dress Code, amazing building, great break room and FRUIT!!

ConsWhat I was told about the job from co workers and trainers after I got hired was not anything like I was told in 2 interviews. I applied for one job and all of a sudden I was hired into something else with out being asked. I was told the job was temp for 9 months and could be permanent at any time. Truth was they will let us go in 4 months.....after peak season.Was told it was full time (40 hrs). Trainers changed our hours to 6 hours a day and said if they get too busy they will give us a day off. (I gave up a SURE 9 month full time+ job for this iffy one.) Was NEVER told the job depended on how accurate I was or how fast I input data. I am great at administrative duties but not at stressful production/timed work!! (I was never told I would be timed or rated on accuracy). Never told if I didn't make the minimums I was out on my ear. Was told in training that less than half of training class makes it. Trainers not detailed enough. Taunt you with getting up to par or you will be out. Embarrass you by comparing your training speed and accuracy to your co-trainees. You use many different programs that all require different log ins and passwords...hard to keep them all straight. And the pay...it really is low...but I need a job and if the job promises that were made in pre-employment were to come true, this would be a good start. I will check back and let you know how things go and IF I make the cut or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest at interview with what the job is about, length of job and the requirements. Revamp the training program. It is not as precise or concise that it could be.

Worked for CastleBranch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CastleBranch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CastleBranch CEO Brett Martin. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by CastleBranch employees.