CastleBranch Reviews

2.0
Brett Martin

1. CastleBranch

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

The company provides many extras that makes the working environment fun. Pay was good for this area.

Cons

Constant changes! They have recently made many changes to the structure of the company.

warning to all professionals - stay far away

Former Employee - IT Support in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - IT Support in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's hard to name any pros. they think that having a brewery and a food truck that charges overpriced lunch are pros but they really arent considering everything else that you deal with at castlebranch. its an okay place to work if you are 19 and need to learn the office environment but no one can make a living there.

Cons

pay is very very low turnover is high no a players no structure no execution on any ideas ceo is oblivious to the day-to-day business they think they are innovative but there isnt a single product that is innovative (selling background checks - how innovative can that be?)

Advice to Management

is it too much to ask to give your employees benefits that mean something?

3. castle branch review

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CastleBranch

Pros

flex hours allows for family

Cons

job security, any day can be your last

CastleBranch Response

Jul 22, 2015 – Director of HR

We encourage staff to always strive to do their very best. Those that do so should never worry about their position.

If you want to make less money then a McDonalds fry cook or a Walmart employee this is the job for you!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, zip, nada, nothing, zero, ziltch, not a thing, nil, naught, worthless, to be without, pro-less, waste of time

Cons

This is a joke of a company. I remember being so excited that I was accepted to this "illustrious" company. Boy was I wrong! I've worked in some crap telemarketing jobs before and the only difference between the crap ones and here was the rotary dial phone and hand made plywood tables. The job is the exact same. Terrible leads that you would have a better chance of making a sale by just randomly dialing numbers. If you search on google; business, background search; they come up on the 10th page. THE 10TH PAGE!! What kind of scam company comes up on the 10th page of Google. Well i'll tell you. A company that thinks paying a professional salesmen/women the same as a Walmart employee warrents millions of tax payers dollars from the city, sure there is commission but I don't consider $30 a month commission. A company that fires people so much that everyday you expect to see at least 1 less person then the day before. A company where the CEO has an interview where he says he has no problem with high turnover because the college is close so he will always have more employees. A company that threatens to sue the other companies in town if they "poach" any of their employees making it almost impossible to leave unless you get fired, but that's ok because it's just a matter of time before you do anyway. I would say that WECT should do an exposé about the money they took from our beautiful city to "create" 420 new jobs but the reporter that works for them is married to the person that owns the gym downstairs, which by the way pays $0 dollars in taxes to the city even though he is taking in money because of the "arrangement" he and the company had worked/scammed out. Now let's dive a little deeper into the pay which I read on another "review" is on par with nationwide standards and what the CEO said he was creating with an average pay of $38k a year. For a sales person the starting salary is $11 an hour or $22,880 a year + commission. The commission structure is 10% of all sales that are PROCESSED (this is in bold because it will be referred back to numerous times) for the 1st year an account is signed, then 8% the 2nd year and finally 6% for the 3rd and then you no longer receive commissions on that account. The companies that are targeted with their terrible cold call leads are small to medium sized businesses. So the average size of a "good" account signed is 2k a year worth of sales. Unless you are one of the 3-4 lucky few that get assigned the very few prefered vendor accounts working in the employment section you will sign 1 of these a month. The rest other 3-4 you will sign are small potatoes, $500-700 max. Now it will take you 6-10 months before you begin even signing any of these accounts (which they are upfront in the job interview even though that doesn't matter because if you aren't signing accounts in the 1st 3 months after training you're going to be fired) so your 1st year of working there you are looking at 4-6k worth of sales. So you can figure your 1st year you will make roughly $23-23,5k, compared to other companies in town *cough cough Verizon* that starts you off at $28-30k. So there is a difference of $50-70k worth of sales that would would have had to make to make up the difference in starting pay. After your 1st year at most businesses in town you get a 7-10% raise + profit sharing which is at least $1k making your salary $29,8-34k. With castlebrach you will still be making $22,880 so to make up the difference in pay for the 2nd year you will need to make $70-120k worth of PROCESSED sales + the $50-70k that you didn't make the year before so that is a total of $120-190k worth of PROCESSED sales. The leads you will be getting the 2nd year haven't changed from the 1st year but if you haven't been fired yet you should be doing much better at selling their overpriced product to people that don't want to talk to you. So let's say you are a rock star and making way more than double the sales from the year before and making $48k worth of PROCESSED sales. That will bring your commissions on the 2nd year to $320-480 from the 1st year of sales + what ever was PROCESSED out of the $4,8k you made in sales the 2nd year, let's call it 1/3 which will bring the 2nd year worth of commissions to $1,5k bringing your yearly salary for the 2nd year to around $25k. Congrats! You starved for 2 years to make $3k less then the base salary of the other companies in town. Now I havent brought up the lovely health benefits the company provides. For a family of 2, yourself and 1 child (I won't include what it cost for my spouse because that cost would take you your entire paycheck), it will cost you $500 a month for dental and medical. No vision or matched 401k, lol let's be honest what 401k, just what is now REQUIRED BY LAW FOR EVERY CITIZEN TO HAVE. The other companies in town it is $200 a month for dental, medical and vision. So we need to make some deductions to that fair and competitive salary you will be making at Castlebranch. So that 1st year when you thought you were making $23k its $17k and the 2nd year its $19k. Compared to the other companies in town where the deductions bring your salary from $29k to $28k and the 2nd year from $33to $32k. Now with all of these calculations I have gone conservatively with the salaries of the other companies and inflated the salaries of Castlebrach. I have read the 4 star reviews and if you believe them and think that they are a true representation of the company then this is probably a prefect job for you because you are just the type of sucker that they are looking to employ. I hope that with putting some logic and simple calculations to this review 2 things will happen. The 1st thing is that people will stop applying for this company thinking that they have a chance of really making something of themselves and 2nd that someone in this town that is in the city government will read it and start asking some hard questions to Castlebranch about the tax dollars that they swindled out of the city by holding them hostage and threatening to move the company to Petaluma CA. This quite possibly might me the absolute worst represention of a legitimate company that is looking to help out their community. I wouldn't suggest this job to anyone.

Advice to Management

Give up and just be the cold calling telemarketing company that you are. Drop the salary to $9, move to a crappy strip mall, kinda just like the one you moved out of, and stop pretending you are something that you are not.

Poorly-run, fear-mongering style management

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Nice facilities in one of the buildings on their two-building "campus" as they call it. Gym with cheap or free classes. Fresh fruit available to employees in the mornings. Food truck on site at lunchtime to purchase food from. "TED Talk Tuesdays" with free salad lunch and discussion of a TED Talk with coworkers. Common areas with comfy chairs and swings.

Cons

Employees are always afraid of being fired. Management sucks. The company made a deal with the city of Wilmington to hire 400-500 employees in a span of time to receive economic kickbacks and after they hired a slew of people early this year, they subsequently fired them if they did not meet their crazy expectations within weeks of starting. I feel that is really fraudulent. I found it to be a nightmare of an experience. Everyone on my orientation team that is still there HATES working there and all are actively looking elsewhere. Nearly the entire team managers I worked with either were axed or jumped ship in the last few months. I strongly caution all those considering working here to listen to the personal experiences of those impacted by the horrible business practices of this place.

Advice to Management

Quit tooting your own horn about how great you and your company are. Stop treating the new employees and low people on the totem pole like dirt. Stop focusing on how to funnel ridiculous amounts of money to your CEO when sales people who must make 80-plus calls a day make $11/hr with little chance of any commission.

Horrible Culture

I have been working at CastleBranch

Pros

Air conditioned. Ping pong tables. Close to restaurants. Close to the beach. Great people.

Cons

Great people but the good ones don't stick around long enough for it to matter. Pay is extremely low but as long as the cost savings goes to buying private planes for the CEO I guess it's okay. No opportunity to grow and if you don't hit your call quota then you are out.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Stop trying to fake it - no one buys into the culture. It's an insult to think that ping pong tables and free fruit are "benefits."

8. Sales Support Specialist

I have been working at CastleBranch

Pros

Flexible hours Amazing atmosphere The people are great

Cons

The pay is extremely low

CastleBranch Response

Jul 22, 2015 – Director of HR

We have lots of opportunity for growth and hire internally often.

Sales

I have been working at CastleBranch

Pros

The organization is a good place to get a job with no prior experience.

Cons

You don't make enough money to survive, too cliquy, chaotic, organization lacks direction.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees appropriately and focus on retention.

Sales

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Convenient to Mayfaire an WB. Paved parking

Cons

Horrible place to work unless desperate. I think it is pretty easy to read the reviews here and determine which are written by marketing and HR and which are actually former employees. Trust me, the glowing reviews and "get what you put in" statements are all approved by higher ups. Free breakfast...yeah but HR will be in the kitchen writing down names and then making sure you clocked out and did not exceed your break time. Knew a lot of hourly that were pulling another job to pay for the inadequate benefit plan offered. But hey...you have a gym, brewery and cool chairs..who needs health insurance or a good wage?

Advice to Management

Keep doing you. You have made a lot of money for yourselves and continue to make a lot of money. I can't hate on being successful. Just quit asking for my tax dollar "incentives" that actually go to by a new plane.

Sales Consultant

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the "Corporation" for over 3 years now and love the fact that I can barely get by with minimal work to be done. Instead of bothering human resource managers across the country, I choose to call fax machines all day long in order to get my 80 calls a day. I also am blessed to possess the legendary "list" that very few people in sales have. This list has about 30 phone numbers that have automated messages saying to call another number and each one uniquely gets you to the 10 second call length you need. Not clocking out for lunch is cool too. I just clock out for a half hour break in the a.m.

Cons

The neverending ringing in my head from calling fax numbers all day. Meat heads occupying the gym all day long while listening to Sam Smith. The 2nd floor mostly smells like eggs.......mostly.

Advice to Management

Keep on following the instructions.

RSS Feed </> Embed