Castlight Health

Updated October 23, 2014
4.3

Castlight Health CEO & Co-Founder Giovanni Colella
Giovanni Colella

Pros
  • You get to work with smart people in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment (in 9 reviews)

• Some of the original employees are on a holy mission to change American health care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are growing pains which is to be expected with such rapid growth (in 10 reviews)

• Like any growing company, there is often more work to do than there is time and manpower to do it (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Changing the face Healthcare

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fantastic product that is getting some serious attention in the market. If you are looking for a company that gets you out of bed in the morning, then Castlight is the place. Smart people, focused management team and incredible vision to change enterprise healthcare in the US.

Cons

The sales cycles are 18-24 months, so new sales hires beware. This is a relatively new technology that you're selling into HR folks who have little power to make a buying decision. In addition, HR organizations are typically comprised of tenured people who are not change oriented, and have little understanding of technology. If you're coming to Castlight to make a quick buck in software sales, you should probably look elsewhere.

Let's keep growing.

Extremely employee-friendly workplace

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is great - Friday lunches, happy hours, kitchen stocked with healthy snacks and fruits, friendly people. At the same time, there's a laser-sharp customer focus, and a sense of urgency; company management realizes that there is a window of opportunity in which they need to capture mindshare, and a commitment to capitalizing on it. What's better is that they realize the only way to do it is to ensure that the employees are on-board with the vision, so they make an extra effort to foster a fun, collaborative workplace.

Cons

Personally, I'm not a big fan of big-city offices. Commutes and food choices are terrible. Also, benefits could be better, though HR seems to realize that, and is working on improving them.

A wonderful environment!

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong commitment to the values of the company and an understanding of the strategic direction. Employees have direct access to senior management, and there is a willingness to listen. There is potential for career growth particularly for those with a willingness to take on new challenges.

Cons

Due to high growth environment, sometimes the pace of the work can be challenging. This will continue to be a challenge and leadership is addressing.

Stay true to the mission and focus on the most critical components of growth.

Inspiring Work Community

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While compensation, time off policies, benefits and overall culture at Castlight are incredible and unlike any other company I have worked for, the people are by far and away the best group I have worked with in my professional career. I'm sure there is some variation from team to team, however I have collaborated with several different teams internally and have nothing but positive things to say about each collaboration. I can sincerely, without reservation, recommend Castlight to anyone looking for a challenging, inspiring, collaborative work environment.

Cons

As a growing company, things are changing all the time (which I find to be a positive challenge) which might not be for some people. Process and procedures change and adapt to growth which is can lead to confusion without the proper communication and execution. Within my team, this has been executed flawlessly, however I assume there are gaps in communication across the organization.

Please continue to keep the lines of communication opened across the organization.

A great team to work with, grow with, and have a good time with along the way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company motivated by an incredibly important mission with a focus on company culture and values. There is plenty of opportunity to grow professionally and the company continues to grow.

Cons

Like any growing company, there is often more work to do that there is time or manpower to do it. Things are getting better, but, there are definitely plenty of busy days.

An amazing company with huge potential

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time

Pros

The people here make this an amazing place to work. As the company has grown substantially, its culture has been maintained - fun, collaborative, challenging. The company is taking on huge challenges, and making huge progress!

Cons

Difficult industry - trying to take something that is really broken and fixing it has its ups and downs. Typical growing pains, as well.

Fun, Committed, Nimble, A chance to build the company you want to work in.

Current Employee - Support Function in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Support Function in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

smart people, growing, optimistic, changing external landscape keeps us innovating. Love being in a place that is shaking up an existing industry and also helping people at the same time. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

If you expect to be in a predictable environment, then this isn't the place for you. Works best for someone who appreciates the challenges of a constantly evolving internal and external environment.

Amazing mission, best company culture, surrounded by smart people

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mission-driven, collegial culture, very positive environment and upbeat, caring senior leadership, very intelligent colleagues

Cons

growing pains, which are to be expected

Make sure the new layers of management are continuing to hire the smartest people and perpetuating the Castlight culture

Incredibly smart people and a great product!

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Castlight has one of the most important company missions, in my opinion, in the US today and the people who have come to work here fall in step with working towards that mission every day. It's a job, so there is going to be stress and responsibilities and deadlines, but I am excited when I wake up every morning to come into work and be in the same room with brilliant minds who are attempting the impossible: to lift the veil currently shrouding the healthcare industry in the US. All of my co-workers are encouraging and challenging in a way that makes you want to work harder and better each day.

Cons

Because our mission is so vast and there is a strong desire for it in the current market, the employees do get overwhelmed. This is definitely not the place for you if you're looking for a job where you get to slack off and check out early - everyone is hard working and expectations are high.

I would advise management to keep doing what you're doing - our benefits, compensation and perks are all great, but what keeps me here is the constant encouragement from the Executive Team. I guess my only other observation would be that I do think there is a bit of favoritism towards the Sales team, so maybe try to cater towards all departments.

I enjoy every day coming to work. It is a very close community with many great people and a strong culture

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the culture, the mission and the openness of the company, all the way from the top down. You will be intellectually challenged every day, but with respect and support. There is a lot of high IQ and a great dose for EQ in the people that work at Castlght.

Cons

Castlight is one of the fastest growing technology enterprise companies in the US, wich forces people to work incredibly hard to keep up with everything they need to do. many executives are young and lack management experience, therefore they may manage by improvisation and not science. Tools and infrastrutcures are being built as we go, which makes wily execution extra challenging. If you can't live with change, you may struggle at castlight.

Stay committed to our core values, don't let noise distract you, focus on recruiting the best of the best, and never compromise on quality. keep inspiring peel to do great things.