Castlight Health

Updated November 14, 2014
4.4

Castlight Health CEO & Co-Founder Giovanni Colella
Giovanni Colella

Pros
  • Many very smart people to learn from, especially on the business side (in 12 reviews)

• Innovative company with a bold mission to change the way consumers purchase healthcare (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A young company on its way to the top means that we have our fair share of growing pains (in 14 reviews)

• No strong desire for work/life balance -- abundance of Type A people leads to overwork (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing coworkers; senior leadership really cares about the employees

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great mission. Management is open to feedback from all levels. Generous benefits and unlimited PTO. Castlight tries hard to make every employee's experience a positive one. Many very smart people to learn from, especially on the business side.

Cons

Hours can be quite long. Meetings are frequent and often involve too many people, with no clear responsibilities or handoffs. Management is the default career progression.

Fewer meetings, and clearer handoffs.

Great, fast-growing company

I have been working at Castlight Health

Pros

Castlighthealth is growing quickly and the leadership is focused on the company's overall success. It is enhancing the benefits programs and continues to review all of the things that make the culture here a great place to work. If you are looking for a fun and fast-paced place to grow your career and work on something gane-changing, Castlight is a place you should consider!

Cons

Fast growth means growing pains. Process and systems need to catch up with the company's pace. Not every question has an answer just yet.

Incredibly smart people and a great product!

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Castlight has one of the most important company missions, in my opinion, in the US today and the people who have come to work here fall in step with working towards that mission every day. It's a job, so there is going to be stress and responsibilities and deadlines, but I am excited when I wake up every morning to come into work and be in the same room with brilliant minds who are attempting the impossible: to lift the veil currently shrouding the healthcare industry in the US. All of my co-workers are encouraging and challenging in a way that makes you want to work harder and better each day.

Cons

Because our mission is so vast and there is a strong desire for it in the current market, the employees do get overwhelmed. This is definitely not the place for you if you're looking for a job where you get to slack off and check out early - everyone is hard working and expectations are high.

I would advise management to keep doing what you're doing - our benefits, compensation and perks are all great, but what keeps me here is the constant encouragement from the Executive Team. I guess my only other observation would be that I do think there is a bit of favoritism towards the Sales team, so maybe try to cater towards all departments.

Changing the face Healthcare

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fantastic product that is getting some serious attention in the market. If you are looking for a company that gets you out of bed in the morning, then Castlight is the place. Smart people, focused management team and incredible vision to change enterprise healthcare in the US.

Cons

The sales cycles are 18-24 months, so new sales hires beware. This is a relatively new technology that you're selling into HR folks who have little power to make a buying decision. In addition, HR organizations are typically comprised of tenured people who are not change oriented, and have little understanding of technology. If you're coming to Castlight to make a quick buck in software sales, you should probably look elsewhere.

Let's keep growing.

I enjoy every day coming to work. It is a very close community with many great people and a strong culture

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the culture, the mission and the openness of the company, all the way from the top down. You will be intellectually challenged every day, but with respect and support. There is a lot of high IQ and a great dose for EQ in the people that work at Castlght.

Cons

Castlight is one of the fastest growing technology enterprise companies in the US, wich forces people to work incredibly hard to keep up with everything they need to do. many executives are young and lack management experience, therefore they may manage by improvisation and not science. Tools and infrastrutcures are being built as we go, which makes wily execution extra challenging. If you can't live with change, you may struggle at castlight.

Stay committed to our core values, don't let noise distract you, focus on recruiting the best of the best, and never compromise on quality. keep inspiring peel to do great things.

Smart, fun, hard-working folks on a mission to change healthcare

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people, great mission, and exciting, fast growth environment. I love the work that we are doing and the talent, ambition, and kindness of the people at Castlight. It's a special place and I feel lucky to work here.

Cons

Lots of work including on the weekends and evenings. I would like to see more effort on maintaing the amazing culture at Castlight, understanding that with growth comes some change. We can also do more to ensure that all employees understand their professional growth opportunities.

Keep having fun!

A wonderful environment!

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong commitment to the values of the company and an understanding of the strategic direction. Employees have direct access to senior management, and there is a willingness to listen. There is potential for career growth particularly for those with a willingness to take on new challenges.

Cons

Due to high growth environment, sometimes the pace of the work can be challenging. This will continue to be a challenge and leadership is addressing.

Stay true to the mission and focus on the most critical components of growth.

Inspiring Work Community

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While compensation, time off policies, benefits and overall culture at Castlight are incredible and unlike any other company I have worked for, the people are by far and away the best group I have worked with in my professional career. I'm sure there is some variation from team to team, however I have collaborated with several different teams internally and have nothing but positive things to say about each collaboration. I can sincerely, without reservation, recommend Castlight to anyone looking for a challenging, inspiring, collaborative work environment.

Cons

As a growing company, things are changing all the time (which I find to be a positive challenge) which might not be for some people. Process and procedures change and adapt to growth which is can lead to confusion without the proper communication and execution. Within my team, this has been executed flawlessly, however I assume there are gaps in communication across the organization.

Please continue to keep the lines of communication opened across the organization.

Amazing mission, best company culture, surrounded by smart people

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mission-driven, collegial culture, very positive environment and upbeat, caring senior leadership, very intelligent colleagues

Cons

growing pains, which are to be expected

Make sure the new layers of management are continuing to hire the smartest people and perpetuating the Castlight culture

Feel good about what you do at work!

Current Employee - Implementation Manager
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Castlight is on a mission to change the healthcare industry. The culture is great and we are really doing something special. Work hours are flexible and benefits are good.

Cons

Work hours may be long at times. Concerned about the ability to be promoted.

Ensure there are great opportunities for remote workforce.