Castlight Health

Castlight Health Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Castlight Health CEO & Co-Founder Giovanni Colella

Giovanni Colella

Pros:
  • "You get to work with smart people in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Some of the original employees are on a holy mission to change American health care"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There are growing pains which is to be expected with such rapid growth"
    in 9 reviews
  • "It's a fast-paced, high-growth company, so not everything has a process or policy"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company in transition; some questionable engineering leadership, but great people throughout

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexibility, great co-workers, changing healthcare, mission-driven, smiles throughout

ConsEngineering leadership leaves much to be desired, hiring in counter-culture people who depress morale, perks are fading as the company gets larger, packed into a small space, vision is announced before any thought on how to execute, access to HR is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people who are making the culture toxic, so you don't lose your good talent on the front lines.

Great people, bad culture

ProsGreat people work at Castlight. Everyone works very hard and are usually helpful if you need to get questions answered.

ConsVery long hours, not enough people for the work that is happening, too much out-sourcing, somewhat ridiculous statements by senior leadership that don't reflect reality.

Great, fast paced company!

ProsDedicated teams, lots of passionate members willing to give their best.

ConsGrowing pains. Teams need to appreciate each other more and be more positive when collaborating,

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to work force, understand their concerns.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wrong Priorities

San Francisco, CA

ProsBack when I was there, they had assembled a very good team. But they started to move toward outsourcing.They kind of have an easy job since there is no real competition. Nevertheless they built a good user experience and a useful, workable service. There is much that can be done to enhance things.

ConsThere is an alleged emphasis on transparency but criticism is not really welcome. The outsourcing is a problem with much work is done in India on contract, even operations. Trying to cut costs before things really get going is not smart. The quality of worker was not holding up with outsourcing. The competency or utility of the contract staff is rather suspect. It's not at all easy having a creative innovative project developed by a split team with outsourced workers half a world away. This company is young. The concentration of management is on selling. The initial workable service has been running but and not much has progressed beyond that in 2-3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more balanced. Revamp your outsourcing strategy. Less is more. The way to save money is to have fewer workers, not cheaper ones. You can't put a price on innovation. Bring things back in house. Normally this kind of cost cutting is reserved for a very mature company.

Incredible, Just Incredible!

ProsSupportive and smart team, incredible vision, unlike any other place I have worked!

ConsNone - from my experience thus far this company outshines my other employers by light years!

company has issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosawesome product, very unexperienced personnel

Conspoor execution, fast paced, but slow in solving problems.

Advice to Senior Managementget more in touch with what's going on underneath the scenes in engineering. Get back in touch!!!

Could not ask for a better place to start my career.

Intern, Sales Intelligence (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat environment to gain experience. I have been given more tasks and responsibilities to help expand my skill set and attributes.

ConsNeed more experience for certain positions. Those positions are better suited for someone that has at least a little more experience than the duties of "intern work."

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more fast-track training programs for early advancement.

In trouble

ProsGood people who want to be a part of the mission

ConsIt's a mess under the hood. Not enough has been invested in engineering and operations, which is ultimately what will benefit customers and the end product. Management only cares about selling...unashamedly.

From a career perspective - respect and career advancement are based on pedigree, not talent. Professional development is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementProve that Gio's telling the truth when he says he's not all about "catering to the Street". It doesn't take a lot to see what's not working; slow down the vaporware selling, and give the talented teams that you're lucky to still have working for you a chance to do what they need to do to help you attain and keep your customer base. You don't see it, but things will unravel soon if you don't take care of your people and your product.

Odd Cultlike Vibe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCLH is on a mission to fix the country's broken healthcare delivery system. Big clear challenge, big clear mission.

ConsBelief in the mission is weighted far more heavily than execution. Pedigree is way more important than performance. There's an odd cultlike vibe to this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first step in the 12-step program is admitting you have a problem. Insurance companies are not going to share their data with you. What's your plan? Also, all the hugging at work doesn't make you special and just isn't appropriate.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The future's bright for Castlight

Sales Operations (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsDominance in the industry, and potential to be the "Category King" of the Enterprise Healthcare Cloud.
    Phenomenal people from Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, McKinsey, Bain, Google, etc.
    Collaborative Environment and a lot of cross-departmental teaming.
    Opportunities to grow, try new things, be recognized, be promoted.
    Our CEO "Gio Colella" has everyone behind him. He is a visionary.

ConsComplex industry. Lots of learning once you join.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring more engineers and more sales people.

Worked for Castlight Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Castlight Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Castlight Health CEO Giovanni Colella. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Castlight Health employees.