Casual Male Retail Group Reviews

80 reviews filtered by
2.4
Casual Male Retail Group President, CEO, and Director David A. Levin
David A. Levin

Pros
  • the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours (in 5 reviews)

• Store Hours and only because the got shortened (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

• The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful (in 7 reviews)

Run...run far away!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers. Great working hours, flexible schedule, you learn a lot about building wardrobes and detailed selling techniques, salary plus 3% commissions, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay, you lose commissions when merchandise is returned, expensive health benefits. Poor company culture, high turnover of upper management, poor treatment of experienced employees, negative perception of Casual Male employees vs. DXL employees by some regional sales managers contributing to very low morale in the CMXL stores, and over inflated sense of ego in the DXL stores. This is NOT a big happy corporate family.

Advice to Management

I know that DXL is all so shiny and new and is the future. But maybe you should at least give the illusion that your Casual Male brand still matters even though they're on borrowed time. Instead of pretending they're already a thing of the past. It might help uplift what little morale is left in those stores.

Do yourself a favor & never work here.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Loved the customers. The store hours were shorter than most other retailers since most locations are not in a mall.

Cons

You are expected to do a million things with a staff of 2. Completely unrealistic expectations with no gratitude.

Advice to Management

An almost million $ store with payroll for 2 people. Get a reality check. Forced to work alone open to close a few days a week due to payroll constraints. Rarely got to take a break and use the bathroom let alone eat lunch.

3. It's OK, but plan to move up or out...

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Commission, slow enough for someone starting out to gain experience and hopefully move into a better position

Cons

Commission, there are a lot of slow periods so that along with returns can stink.

Advice to Management

I have heard problems with how some upper management handles things, but it's the same old corporate stuff. Nothing too crazy from what I've see/heard

5. Challange

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Riverside, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Riverside, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Working with the public Recommending different options to the person

Cons

Sometimes the apathy of the customer or staff

6. Comprehensive internship experience

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Canton, MA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Canton, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to multiple areas of the marketing department and taken under the wing of a variety of managers to gain experience in different fields. Given real responsibilities, from day-to-day business tasks to creative projects, that helped me grow skills and learn how to work in a corporate environment. Face-to-face time with the CEO to share our thoughts and better understand the company. Summer Fridays, great perk.

Cons

Not much interaction with the other interns

Company cares more about bottom line

Former Employee - Anonymous in Gulfport, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Gulfport, MS

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The customers and your fellow associates.

Cons

The company doesn't care at all about the employees. It's all about their bottom line. Which is why they switched to commission.

8. Store Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Great Regional and Zone Manager, very challenging work but worth it.

Cons

Long hours as any usual management position

Advice to Management

doing a fine job

9. A great experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with a professional tenured staff.

Cons

This company had horrible regional managers. Inept at best.

Advice to Management

Clothing selection was sucks. When the store was located on Michigan Ave and they carried zenga and the like it was fabulous.

"Big On Being Terrible"

Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Canton, MA
    Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Canton, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I would like to first start off by saying that my review is not about the retail stores across the United States. I am strictly talking about the corporate headquarters in Canton, MA.

There are no pros here.

Cons

Coming into this position is like going back into time. As soon as you enter the building, it is as though you are walking into the 1970s'. The faces that you see are of the older generation which is fine. However, you can see that these are the people who have worked here there their whole lives and they have just stopped caring for themselves. Since we are a clothing store first and foremost, you would think that the stylists; buyers and whatnot would be up-to-date with their wardrobe. Wrong. They themselves also lack a sense of modern appeal/flair to them. I just always thought that people who work in retail for their respective companies need to have a certain sense of fashion to them. It was as though everyone was living under a rock and did not know how to enter the 21st century. I was always happy to see this one woman who still lives in the 80s' with her big hair and acid washed jeans. Rock on!

Speaking of the 21st century, let me tell you about the computer I was given. A PC running Windows XP! I was a Call Center Representative or as management calls us: "the voice" of the company. Well, the "voice" of the company are using a 12-14 year old and counting computer. Nowadays, it is very common to see dual screen monitors. This place has never heard of such a thing. Why would they know? They give you the most oldest piece of technology there is known to man. Like the employees this company employs, everything old is new. I could not believe what I was seeing when I first got there and what I would be using. The mouse wasn't even USB! It was the old ones with the ball on the bottom of it! I couldn't help but laugh knowing that this was the same kind of technology that I was using in middle school. I voiced my opinion on this and management looked at me as though I was the devil. They could not believe that there was someone actually challenging them to do something about this. After awhile, I just gave up knowing that this was just a temporary position and I would be gone anyways. Just live with it like everyone else who has worked here for 10+ years. Be sheep just like the rest of them.

I can see that the employees that work there are just happy to have a job and don't want to "make waves" as they say. They put up with the dilapidated computer that they use everyday; they put up with every little thing that they do. Nobody wants to speak up because they do not know how to and that "old-school" mentality once again pops up with this corporate culture here. They changed their name from "Casual Male" to "Destination XL" because they wanted to be new, hip and fresh. I can assure you that nothing has changed.

There is just nothing innovative or fresh to this place. The slogan that they shout around here is "Big on Being Better" but the only thing "big" is the demographic that they cater towards to.

Advice to Management

I don't even know what to say to upper management. They won't listen to you.

11. Retail-me-not

Current Employee - Keyholder in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Washington, PA

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work various hours, day-time shifts or evening to fit your life. Very small work force to schedule around.

Cons

There were no promotions. Hourly rate is below minimum wage with 3% commission that you lose with returns.

Advice to Management

Benefits offered were too expensive when being paid so little. Full-time is only 30 hrs. per week. Cannot keep employees due to such low income. There is a feeling of little respect for employees when there is no carpet on the floor so employees stand on concrete all day. Cash registers and printers are constantly broken, replacements are hand-me-downs that still don't work. Could be a really nice place to work if conditions and salaries improve.

Casual Male Retail Group Photos