Casual Male Retail Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Casual Male Retail Group President, CEO, and Director David A. Levin

David A. Levin

Pros
  • the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours(in 5 reviews)

• Store Hours and only because the got shortened(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • pay cut to BELOW minimum wage as a "promotion"(in 8 reviews)

• The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful(in 7 reviews)

Worst job ever

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe hours were decent until they made them longer

ConsUpper management only cares about the DXL stores.
    POOR PAY!!! They set you up below minimum wage with a 3% commission which only averages out to about $8 bucks an hour

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a more managers to micromanage than having one DM to oversee multiple states

A company that does not take care of their employees.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Allen Park, MI

ProsFlexible time schedules is all I can say that is positive about this company.

ConsIf you aren't part of the "in" group you will never move up within this company. Also, very low wages for their managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with the lower paid managers to get the real scoop on how their company is doing? The upper management often does not allow the lower paid managers to meet the VP's because they only want to have them see store managers who holds all the cards.

Crap tastic

Key Holder (Current Employee) Johnson City, NY

ProsCustomers are very easy going

ConsUpper Management is very unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bullying, gossiping, junior high behavior

(Former Employee)

ProsThe guests are great. They deserve better.

ConsLying district manager
    pay cut to BELOW minimum wage as a "promotion"

Advice to Senior ManagementDM is a bully that hasn't progressed beyond junior high. She invites gossip, then spreads it around. She asks "what do you think of so-and-so", then confronts "so and so" with what was said about them.

If you don't "fit in" (ie, she has trouble feeling "above" you), she will do ANYTHING to help you fail.

Be very careful working for this company. Everyone will take advantage of your kindness, then they'll stab you in the back. I can't even count the number of favors that I was punished for. The culture of this company seems to rely on pitting everyone against each other. The bully DM seeks out weak underlings to report back to her. In turn, they are rewarded with the recognition that they crave. All in all, this place is every dysfunctional.

Do I even need to detail how a "promotion" to DXL from Casual Male involved a pay CUT of over $4.00 an hour, BELOW minimum wage?

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassion of helping customers with their wardrobe needs

ConsLack of communication. Bullying taking place at DM level

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the lines of communication

It is a great company (to steal employees from)...everyone is looking for other employment.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe district manager is great but no one trusts the regional on up. They are condescending and overall just really fake. I was a store manager for a few years until I escaped.

ConsThe store manager is paid well but no one else, making it extremely difficult to recruit and retain staff. We had to promise them the world but couldn't deliver a pizza. It becomes a revolving door of people who can't afford to keep the job. Commissioned staff quickly become cut throat and accuse each other of stealing sales etc. Just an overall horrible business model and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay talented people a fair wage instead of telling them there is unlimited potential and that 'you just have to learn the company selling techniques to earn it' (commission). I left because I was tired of lying to people just to fill empty positions.Also you will never receive a raise (because of all the 'potential' commission you are sure to make). Hogwash.

Great environment and easy company to work for.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Lawndale, CA

ProsMy store manager was really great with training me and getting me ready for the next step with the company. Our store was the highest volume in the district and we worked hard each day to make sure we kept that title. Customer service was always stressed at all times.

ConsHours were not always consistent week to week due to the fact that it is a specialty retail store as well as store hours were not very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your staff at all times, this will encourage them to stay and work.

Too much responsibility and little compensation

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsMeet amazing people and have a stepping stone to get you to another company

ConsCasual male and dxl upper need more hours in payroll to use so that they can build customer service. It is not fair that 1 individual must run a store for hours by themselves... Very unsafe

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance full time benefit and compensation. Hourly plus commission is barely $30k! Disrespectful

They're OK.

ProsBenefits packages for part-time employees.

ConsUnreasonable expectations regarding store coverage vs. hours allowed.

It just kept getting worse the longer I stayed.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Springfield, IL

ProsStore is only open for about 7 hours a day, so no late nights or early mornings.

You won't have to worry about how to spend all the money you make since you will barely make a living wage.

ConsThis company lies to its employees regularly. Each new initiative is presented as an improvement when in reality it makes the employee experience worse.

Pay structure: I received three separate pay cuts during my time working there. Each was presented to me as a "raise The first time I was given $20 more per week and then told I have to work 5 additional hours. Call me crazy, but that's an hourly pay cut. The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage + commission. Any company that expects its MANAGERS to work on commission isn't going to get effective managers, they're going to get sales people.

Benefits package: When premiums and out of pocket maximums went up with no changes in coverage, we were told it was an improvement in care. I spoke to the head of HR, and he actually tried to convince me I was better off paying more for insurance after having taken a pay cut. I get that insurance was getting more expensive, but again quit lying and telling me I'm better off.

Corporate does not respect or care about the field: I was on a conference call and got called away to help a customer. When I came back, my call had ended and a DM group was using the conference call line. The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful. The regional manager literally told DMs to push store managers to quit so they could hire new staff at lower pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to your employees. At least if you were honest when you were screwing us over we'd feel like you respected us as people. Don't insult my intelligence.

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!