Casual Male Retail Group

Updated September 17, 2014
2.0

Casual Male Retail Group President, CEO, and Director David A. Levin
David A. Levin

Pros
  • the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours (in 5 reviews)

• Store Hours and only because the got shortened (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

• The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail-me-not

Current Employee - Keyholder  in  Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Washington, PA

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can work various hours, day-time shifts or evening to fit your life. Very small work force to schedule around.

Cons

There were no promotions. Hourly rate is below minimum wage with 3% commission that you lose with returns.

Benefits offered were too expensive when being paid so little. Full-time is only 30 hrs. per week. Cannot keep employees due to such low income. There is a feeling of little respect for employees when there is no carpet on the floor so employees stand on concrete all day. Cash registers and printers are constantly broken, replacements are hand-me-downs that still don't work. Could be a really nice place to work if conditions and salaries improve.

ok temp job

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

responsibility, experience, autonomy, store, people.

Cons

hours, low pay, training, management, assistance.

Terrible company...Oppressive ...low pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Long hours. Did not care about your personal life. Oppresive boss who talked on the phone while associate did all the work.

Store was located within Washington Shoppes and the atmosphere is near depressing. Clothing is all made in China and the unfortunately the good people that shop there have nowhere else to go.

Redo

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer & employee satisfaction is the least of their conserns

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group part-time

Pros

The store manager is awesome. The flexibility of scheduling is great. The customers are awesome.

Cons

The store is located in the Ghetto. Its a free standing building, not located in a mall or strip mall. Drug deals happen behind the store frequently. Next door is a cheap motel where they rent rooms by the hour. The building is old & has not been remodeled since it opened in the early 90's. The AC unit freezes up, the stock room only has 8 florescent lights that still work & DM refuses to all the store manager to order new bulbs because they are "too expensive". DM also refuses to allow the store manager to buy basic necessities that the store & employees need because they do not want to spend the money. Items such as a paper towel dispenser for the bathroom, a broom & dust pan, something to dust with such as a swiffer or feather duster. The employees & store manager have to spend their own money to buy these items. The wallpaper is peeling, the carpet is ripped, the front wall leaks every time it rains & soaks the carpet, so the store smell musty. The back door leaks & shorts out the battery on the door alarm, as well as the door is rusted. The store computer is old & worn out, it takes a minimum of 5 minutes to clock in & out, as well as when trying to look something up for the customers, it takes forever for the company website to come up, to the point that the customer looses interest. Many potential customers refuse to shop at the store because of its location & condition, many refuse to shop there because they are afraid for their safety due to the store being in a bad section of town. Many days go by where the total sales for the entire day is well under $300. I have had whole days where I have only had one customer the entire day with a total sale of around $100 and yet the company refuses to have weekly sales or promotional sales, instead they raise the prices on merchandise every month. The store has merchandise in the stock room that is 5+ years old, items that are not even manufactured any more & yet they refuse to mark them down or allow the store manager to clearance them, just to rid the store of very old stock & make room for new. Many items in the store have been there so long that they have become faded by the lighting or sunlight and yet the DM pushes for us to sell them at full price. Customers quite often buy merchandise, wear it to a function then return it, missing tags & soiled. DM has demanded that we allow this to happen with no questions asked, allow the customer to return obviously worn & soiled clothing BUT because its soiled, the garment can not be resold, so it has to be taken out of the system as damaged merchandise. THEN the DM pitches a hissy fit & complains that too many items are being marked as damaged. DM ignores the store until they have a problem with the daily operations or if the store is costing them money, then we can't stop hearing from them.

Spend the necessary money for your employees to operate your stores in the manner in which you require. If you insist that customers can return merchandise even with it is soiled due to being worn, then DO NOT complain & cause problems for the store when they have large amounts of damaged items. You can not have it both ways!! If a store emails to say they have issues with the building, DO NOT ignore them. In fact STOP ignoring your stores. We do not email you because we have nothing better to do, if we take the time to send you an email about question or concerns then have the common courtesy of responding to said email within a 24 hour period. Allow store manager to clearance old &/or faded merchandise to make room for new, and by clearance, I don't mean 25%, I mean 75%. It not a clearance unless its 75% off. 25% off is NOT a clearance & just barely considered a sale.

A company that does not take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Allen Park, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allen Park, MI

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time schedules is all I can say that is positive about this company.

Cons

If you aren't part of the "in" group you will never move up within this company. Also, very low wages for their managers.

Talk with the lower paid managers to get the real scoop on how their company is doing? The upper management often does not allow the lower paid managers to meet the VP's because they only want to have them see store managers who holds all the cards.

Crap tastic

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Johnson City, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Johnson City, NY

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are very easy going

Cons

Upper Management is very unprofessional

Get a life

Bullying, gossiping, junior high behavior

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The guests are great. They deserve better.

Cons

Lying district manager
    pay cut to BELOW minimum wage as a "promotion"

DM is a bully that hasn't progressed beyond junior high. She invites gossip, then spreads it around. She asks "what do you think of so-and-so", then confronts "so and so" with what was said about them.

If you don't "fit in" (ie, she has trouble feeling "above" you), she will do ANYTHING to help you fail.

Be very careful working for this company. Everyone will take advantage of your kindness, then they'll stab you in the back. I can't even count the number of favors that I was punished for. The culture of this company seems to rely on pitting everyone against each other. The bully DM seeks out weak underlings to report back to her. In turn, they are rewarded with the recognition that they crave. All in all, this place is every dysfunctional.

Do I even need to detail how a "promotion" to DXL from Casual Male involved a pay CUT of over $4.00 an hour, BELOW minimum wage?

Horrible Experience

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passion of helping customers with their wardrobe needs

Cons

Lack of communication. Bullying taking place at DM level

Open the lines of communication

It is a great company (to steal employees from)...everyone is looking for other employment.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The district manager is great but no one trusts the regional on up. They are condescending and overall just really fake. I was a store manager for a few years until I escaped.

Cons

The store manager is paid well but no one else, making it extremely difficult to recruit and retain staff. We had to promise them the world but couldn't deliver a pizza. It becomes a revolving door of people who can't afford to keep the job. Commissioned staff quickly become cut throat and accuse each other of stealing sales etc. Just an overall horrible business model and culture.

Pay talented people a fair wage instead of telling them there is unlimited potential and that 'you just have to learn the company selling techniques to earn it' (commission). I left because I was tired of lying to people just to fill empty positions.Also you will never receive a raise (because of all the 'potential' commission you are sure to make). Hogwash.

Too much responsibility and little compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Meet amazing people and have a stepping stone to get you to another company

Cons

Casual male and dxl upper need more hours in payroll to use so that they can build customer service. It is not fair that 1 individual must run a store for hours by themselves... Very unsafe

Enhance full time benefit and compensation. Hourly plus commission is barely $30k! Disrespectful

Casual Male Retail Group Photos

New Style
Old Style

+ Add Photo

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!