Casual Male Retail Group

Updated August 9, 2014
2.0

Casual Male Retail Group President, CEO, and Director David A. Levin
David A. Levin

Pros
  • the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours (in 5 reviews)

• Store Hours and only because the got shortened (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • pay cut to BELOW minimum wage as a "promotion" (in 8 reviews)

• The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much responsibility and little compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Meet amazing people and have a stepping stone to get you to another company

Cons

Casual male and dxl upper need more hours in payroll to use so that they can build customer service. It is not fair that 1 individual must run a store for hours by themselves... Very unsafe

Enhance full time benefit and compensation. Hourly plus commission is barely $30k! Disrespectful

They're OK.

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Benefits packages for part-time employees.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations regarding store coverage vs. hours allowed.

It just kept getting worse the longer I stayed.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Store is only open for about 7 hours a day, so no late nights or early mornings.

You won't have to worry about how to spend all the money you make since you will barely make a living wage.

Cons

This company lies to its employees regularly. Each new initiative is presented as an improvement when in reality it makes the employee experience worse.

Pay structure: I received three separate pay cuts during my time working there. Each was presented to me as a "raise The first time I was given $20 more per week and then told I have to work 5 additional hours. Call me crazy, but that's an hourly pay cut. The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage + commission. Any company that expects its MANAGERS to work on commission isn't going to get effective managers, they're going to get sales people.

Benefits package: When premiums and out of pocket maximums went up with no changes in coverage, we were told it was an improvement in care. I spoke to the head of HR, and he actually tried to convince me I was better off paying more for insurance after having taken a pay cut. I get that insurance was getting more expensive, but again quit lying and telling me I'm better off.

Corporate does not respect or care about the field: I was on a conference call and got called away to help a customer. When I came back, my call had ended and a DM group was using the conference call line. The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful. The regional manager literally told DMs to push store managers to quit so they could hire new staff at lower pay.

Stop lying to your employees. At least if you were honest when you were screwing us over we'd feel like you respected us as people. Don't insult my intelligence.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the big and tallguest was fabulous! Fantastic customers!!

Cons

Unfortunately did not care about the employees. Lost many passionate people by simply not listening to the field.

Continue to focus on the guest experience. Support field management, show appreciation forhard work.

The Hours are Great!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Business Hours of Operation, Customer Interactions

Cons

Horrible pay, micro-managed, outdated business model

Pay your associates a decent, liveable wage, and many of the issues you have tried to manage with "Non-negotiables and Service Behaviors" will go away. These elementary steps that someone has come up with to guide the selling structure in your stores would be inherent if you employed professionals. The only way you're going to get professionals to work (and STAY) with your company is to make the salaries attractive enough to get those types of people applying. Individuals who have had sales, management or customer service experience will automatically execute these behaviors without having to have a list of 15 to memorize.

Entirely too much energy and weight is being focused on and put on the UPT (Units Per Transaction) metric. This is the ONLY metric which is allowing individuals to be promoted. What needs to be focused on is simple: are the stores making more than they did the previous year. If they are, then great. Keep up the good work and maybe try a couple things differently to see if a couple metrics could be improved. The way your DMs are micro-managing (at least the one in my market is) the stores is absurd. Conference calls for stores who aren't getting enough St. Jude donations?? Seriously? Telling the stores who should open and close the stores on which days over the holiday season? Again, if you pay a decent wage, you will get PROFESSIONALS in your store that will do what's best for that store anyway.

I am a management, sales and customer service professional who has been involved in those areas for a couple of decades. I have never seen a district run like this one is being run. It's like I'm back in High School - gossip being driven from the DM, who asks, "What do you think of so-and-so?" and then runs to So-and So and tells them what what said about them and by whom. Really?? Come on.

It seems the wrong people are getting promoted and what is being missed out on is the fact that there are good, professional associates who would be an incredible asset to the company, being forced to look elsewhere for employment to secure a liveable wage. To not promote some of these people, or bring them over to the new DXL stores because they can't sell three items to each customer who walks in the front door? Can't see the forest for the trees if you ask me.

great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cons

long hours for staff need better payroll hours good work life balance would be nice

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun meeting various customers and building relationships.

Cons

Not enough help to get the work done

Walk a week in our shoes

Silo'd

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Some nice people worked there, my compensation was good (don't know about others)

Cons

The company was very silo'd and when I was there, there were many unhappy people. Having said that many people have been with the companies their whole career

Bring relevant departments together

You don't want to work here

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Decent hours, customers are nice

Cons

Run by cliques, immature management, abusive upper management

This company is run by cliques. If you aren't buddies with the DM, you will never advance. If you're good at your job, you'll become the target of their ridicule. This place sucked every ouce of joy out of my life. If I ever brought an issue to my DMs attention, it was immediately turned on me. She was very insincere and condescending, to the point of publicly admonishing me for something I had not done. When the truth came out, she refused to apologize.

I am glad I no longer work for this company. They're rotten to the core. They don't care about their employees, and they let petty, childish DMs do whatever they want. I would rather work at an ice factory in hell before I'd work for this company.

Interview Process

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, training seems to be fair as I was told. Casual, but Not exactly suit and tie

Cons

If you are willing to go through 8 interview, drive several miles and then get turned away this is not the right company for you!

You act like people are interviewing for a VP job with your company!!!!

Casual Male Retail Group Photos

New Style
Old Style

+ Add Photo

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!