Casual Male Retail Group

www.casualmalexl.com
Profile Unclaimed

A company that does not take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allen Park, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allen Park, MI

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time schedules is all I can say that is positive about this company.

Cons

If you aren't part of the "in" group you will never move up within this company. Also, very low wages for their managers.

Talk with the lower paid managers to get the real scoop on how their company is doing? The upper management often does not allow the lower paid managers to meet the VP's because they only want to have them see store managers who holds all the cards.

It is a great company (to steal employees from)...everyone is looking for other employment.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The district manager is great but no one trusts the regional on up. They are condescending and overall just really fake. I was a store manager for a few years until I escaped.

Cons

The store manager is paid well but no one else, making it extremely difficult to recruit and retain staff. We had to promise them the world but couldn't deliver a pizza. It becomes a revolving door of people who can't afford to keep the job. Commissioned staff quickly become cut throat and accuse each other of stealing sales etc. Just an overall horrible business model and culture.

Pay talented people a fair wage instead of telling them there is unlimited potential and that 'you just have to learn the company selling techniques to earn it' (commission). I left because I was tired of lying to people just to fill empty positions.Also you will never receive a raise (because of all the 'potential' commission you are sure to make). Hogwash.

Worst job ever

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The hours were decent until they made them longer

Cons

Upper management only cares about the DXL stores.
    POOR PAY!!! They set you up below minimum wage with a 3% commission which only averages out to about $8 bucks an hour

Need a more managers to micromanage than having one DM to oversee multiple states

Bullying, gossiping, junior high behavior

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The guests are great. They deserve better.

Cons

Lying district manager
    pay cut to BELOW minimum wage as a "promotion"

DM is a bully that hasn't progressed beyond junior high. She invites gossip, then spreads it around. She asks "what do you think of so-and-so", then confronts "so and so" with what was said about them.

If you don't "fit in" (ie, she has trouble feeling "above" you), she will do ANYTHING to help you fail.

Be very careful working for this company. Everyone will take advantage of your kindness, then they'll stab you in the back. I can't even count the number of favors that I was punished for. The culture of this company seems to rely on pitting everyone against each other. The bully DM seeks out weak underlings to report back to her. In turn, they are rewarded with the recognition that they crave. All in all, this place is every dysfunctional.

Do I even need to detail how a "promotion" to DXL from Casual Male involved a pay CUT of over $4.00 an hour, BELOW minimum wage?

Horrible Experience

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passion of helping customers with their wardrobe needs

Cons

Lack of communication. Bullying taking place at DM level

Open the lines of communication

Too much responsibility and little compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Meet amazing people and have a stepping stone to get you to another company

Cons

Casual male and dxl upper need more hours in payroll to use so that they can build customer service. It is not fair that 1 individual must run a store for hours by themselves... Very unsafe

Enhance full time benefit and compensation. Hourly plus commission is barely $30k! Disrespectful

Great environment and easy company to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lawndale, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lawndale, CA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My store manager was really great with training me and getting me ready for the next step with the company. Our store was the highest volume in the district and we worked hard each day to make sure we kept that title. Customer service was always stressed at all times.

Cons

Hours were not always consistent week to week due to the fact that it is a specialty retail store as well as store hours were not very long.

Encourage your staff at all times, this will encourage them to stay and work.

They're OK.

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros

Benefits packages for part-time employees.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations regarding store coverage vs. hours allowed.

It just kept getting worse the longer I stayed.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Store is only open for about 7 hours a day, so no late nights or early mornings.

You won't have to worry about how to spend all the money you make since you will barely make a living wage.

Cons

This company lies to its employees regularly. Each new initiative is presented as an improvement when in reality it makes the employee experience worse.

Pay structure: I received three separate pay cuts during my time working there. Each was presented to me as a "raise The first time I was given $20 more per week and then told I have to work 5 additional hours. Call me crazy, but that's an hourly pay cut. The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage + commission. Any company that expects its MANAGERS to work on commission isn't going to get effective managers, they're going to get sales people.

Benefits package: When premiums and out of pocket maximums went up with no changes in coverage, we were told it was an improvement in care. I spoke to the head of HR, and he actually tried to convince me I was better off paying more for insurance after having taken a pay cut. I get that insurance was getting more expensive, but again quit lying and telling me I'm better off.

Corporate does not respect or care about the field: I was on a conference call and got called away to help a customer. When I came back, my call had ended and a DM group was using the conference call line. The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful. The regional manager literally told DMs to push store managers to quit so they could hire new staff at lower pay.

Stop lying to your employees. At least if you were honest when you were screwing us over we'd feel like you respected us as people. Don't insult my intelligence.

Disappointing

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the big and tallguest was fabulous! Fantastic customers!!

Cons

Unfortunately did not care about the employees. Lost many passionate people by simply not listening to the field.

Continue to focus on the guest experience. Support field management, show appreciation forhard work.

Casual Male Retail Group Photos