Catalent Pharma

Updated October 20, 2014
2.2

Catalent Pharma President, CEO, and Director John R. Chiminski
John R. Chiminski

Pros
  • Close to home, good structure for annual reviews, management trying to reward and recognize (in 6 reviews)

• A few good people to work with but they will be leaving soon if competent management is not put in place after the sale (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not have a clue what is going on (in 10 reviews)

• Benefits package could be more competitive, long hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

After 20 years I have seen lots of changes and not for the good.

Current Employee - Material Preparation in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Material Preparation in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO package is rather nice for me. We work a 2-2-3 week, 12 hour shifts. One week we get 8 hours overtime as our regular schedule. Therefore, one can take 2 PTO days and get a week off work. There is an incentive program and when the sun and the moon line up perfectly you get a bonus

Cons

Management sucks!!! Supervisors do not want to do their jobs correctly so a few employees do the work while the others who are supervisors friends sit around doing nothing all day. Basically lower management lies to the peon and upper management, then Upper management lies to everyone. We are trying to do a proper job with equipment that only minimally works. And some equipment and rooms don't work at all. Management doesn't want to put money into fixing equipment we already have that is broken. But they have spent money on equipment that is never put into use because it was never validated. They start projects and within weeks they lose interest and go on to something else. Staff has been cut back to skeleton level and some weeks there simply isn't enough work to keep us busy and other weeks we are slammed. Between problems with scheduling and raw material availability , there seems to be no communication at all. The work area is filthy by my standards but they seem to think if is fine.

Step away from your computer screen and stop looking at numbers and go to the floor and take a look a round. Talk to employees and be TRUTHFUL to them and yourselves. Get involved with the every day workings, take an objective look at lower management and see if they are actually doing their jobs for the betterment of the company or just sliding under the radar. The plant where I work is headed for a dead end.

Steer Clear

I worked at Catalent Pharma

Pros

Pros: Oxygen and coffee is free. Everything else you'll pay for like steerage on the Titanic. The only thing everyone at this company has in common is utter denial of the fact that the company is going nowhere. Those who are smart enough are already on a life boat or one of the Carnival Cruise ships somewhere else in RTP.

Cons

Cons: On average you will make approximately $10K - $15K less than you are worth. Disregard your education level, it doesn't really matter, you're going to treated like the analyst maggot that you are. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. Make sure you're ready to work weekends, and for the expectations of your work load to far exceed your capabilities.

It's kind of like going through boot camp for four days, being given a bullet proof vest and gun, getting shot in battle, then being reprimanded for getting hurt.

Catalent Motto: Here's your project. Figure it out. Don't make any mistakes or we will punish you. Don't ask questions.

Don't hire anyone who is smarter than you. Also avoid people who aren't scared of you. You're militia tactics are futile in a world where smart, talented people can walk next door for a better job where they are respected and paid a better wage. Don't fool yourselves, everyone with a good head on their shoulders at your company is only waiting for a better offer.

Growing company

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rapid growth, hiring constantly to meet demand, internal promotions are available and offered to those who show dedication and strong performance. Competitive wages.

Cons

Benefits package could be more competitive, long hours

Display more compassion for employees to make them feel they belong and are appreciated.

Associate Scientist

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice, smart co-workers. Never a dull moment, they have a lot of work for all the analyst. However, management does understand the need to have a work/life balance.

Cons

No bonuses. No incentive to work harder than you need to. This occasional leads to people that are less motivated to slide by and drop a larger chunk of work on others.

You need to offer bonuses.

Micro management with long hours

Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job! Just a paycheck and a good place to gain skills and experience. Use those skills and go work for a company that cares about their employees!

Cons

Long hours are expected. Pay is low! Managers micro manage and think very little of their employees

Get new managers

Stressful work environment outcome of toxic management team.

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great customers and co-workers. Beautiful country and wonderful community.

Cons

Inadequate business planning has the facility above maximum capacity. Not enough hours in the day to meet management's expectation of their people. Management does not follow recommendations of their reports.

Management of a company by excel sheets

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Local Team and some great individuals

Cons

Upper ELT and SLT Management does not live own values. Too much focus on revenue. Micro management. Delayed approval of necessary headcount to achieve the goals. Stupid basecost pressure. Too much travel of upper management.

Reduce unneccessary pressure by too many Op mechs. Simply let the middle Management do their work. Walk the talk.

Overworking and underpaying they're analysts seems to be what keeps them in the black.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn many assays and gain exposure to a variety of equipment.
    IF (and a big IF) you complete your work for the day, you can technically leave early.

Cons

Expect to work a minimum of 60 hours a week just to keep up with your billable work and bureaucratic busy work.
    You are expected to "do it all" in terms of sample testing, data analysis, report generation, customer contact/service, instrument repair, quality assurance, for multiple projects a time.

Managers are actually ok in my opinion. They seem to have they're hands tied behind they're back to meet revenue and make the investors that own the company happy.

More money

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Catalent Pharma as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. 2℅ of the employees are very rude. But I enjoyed my time there. Very clean, employees take pride in there work.

Cons

Some employees are mean and hateful. Management knows this but nothing is done. You can work hard and do your best but when it comes to being an employee and wages it sucks! Very disappointing.

You want good people the money needs to be there.

Great and not so great! POLITICS!

I worked at Catalent Pharma as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some people are super great and decent pay (sorta)

Cons

to be making medication it sucks that you are making 11.04 a hour when right up the road you can get paid to make peanut butter for 22/hr

do your job...