Catalent Pharma

Updated January 23, 2015
2.4

Catalent Pharma President, CEO, and Director John R. Chiminski
John R. Chiminski

Pros
  • Close to home, good structure for annual reviews, management trying to reward and recognize (in 6 reviews)

• A few good people to work with but they will be leaving soon if competent management is not put in place after the sale (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work - life balance is 95 % on the work site (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management does not have a clue what is going on (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

RP Scherer destroyed by the new owners.

Former Employee - Encapsulation in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Encapsulation in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will be working for a contract manufacturer, with a lot of corporate influence on the bottom line, you can look forward to working nights, week ends and crazy schedules.

Cons

The leadership team is built on failures and rejects from GE, and the directive is to do more with less, your job title/responsibilities will change frequently with out notice , you will be required to be crossed trained in other departments because they plan on future lay offs and want half a- - trained people to be some what capable to perform the job. Bring every hat you own because you will be required to wear them, especially in the Saint Petersburg site, if you dont have the hat required for the day one will be provided to you.

Share some advice to management,
    Find a new career because nobody will ever let you run a company again.

Low morale culture

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some co-workers are nice and helpful.

Cons

Managers and their buddies are untouchable. Real workers work very hard. On the other hand, workers constantly get terrible feedback from their cronies. Deceit and hatred is a norm here.

Pay attention to the real heroes that build the companies not the cronies that play politics in the office.

Contract Scientist NO TRAINING PROGRAM

Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck; very little asked of me and assigned to me.

Cons

Been here for over two months--still have not done any customer work. Absolutely no adherence to a training program. Haven't been able to meet with either supervisor in over a month. When asked when I will be assigned work that I am qualified to perform, I am consistently told to, "Be patient." Very long, boring days with little to no work assigned to me. Contract ends in 4 months and I have concerns that I will still not be assigned any projects. I was very excited to leave academia and enter industry UNTIL I found out I was fed a bunch of lies during my interview. This place is falling apart and it appears to be common knowledge, yet no one is doing anything to correct any issues. If I didn't have a family to support, I would have broken my contract weeks ago to search for actual work instead of just taking up space in a seemingly imploding site.

Management is wasting my talents and skills. I have a very broad skill set and have tried to piece together my own training, however, supervisors will not assign me tasks nor will co-workers accept any help. Find managers/supervisors who know what they are doing and will utilize the expertise of their team. I am starting to hate "working" for Catalent because of the lack of work assigned to me-- it is a waste of my time, experience, and degrees.

Look for something better...

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great, close to home

Cons

Management has unrealistic expectations, non-existent raises, bonuses only for upper management while continuing to reduce head count,

Typical Corp America Experience if in the right role.

I have been working at Catalent Pharma

Pros

Great experience for those seeking business management exposure along the GE path

Cons

Extreme lean culture. Sales are flat and growth is through operation cuts. Start as a grape and come out a raisin. Including compensation and very small raises if any year to year compared to similar size companies.

Not a great experience

Current Employee - Quality Specialist I in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Specialist I in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at Catalent are very nice and most very educated

Cons

Salary
    Never will move up with company

Start treating your people better

Was a disappointment when this company took over our previous company.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked on your own, didn't have bosses contently telling you what to do or checking up on you.

Cons

Management was terrible. They only listen to the higher management, not caring what others wanted.

They need people skills, anyone running a company should learn how to listen to everyone, not just listen to who they want to listen.

If you like wearing hats, this is the place for you...

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DIY company which means you'll have lots of opportunities to learn new skills and diversify your portfolio, people are great and great PTO package.

Cons

Lack of areas to advance to, health insurance benefits and sometimes too much to do and lack of resources to support.

Catalent is less than the sum of its parts.

I worked at Catalent Pharma

Pros

The Clinical Supply Services division has a global span, allowing clinical trial support across national and continental borders. This coverage allows the company to manage customers trials regardless of geographic parameters of a study.

Cons

The management repeatedly has been less than honest with its employees, especially regarding acquisitions. The routine nature of buying a company and then closing the acquired facilities, without regard for the loss of capacity & human capital creates an unpleasant work environment. The wasted expense of buying and disposing of facilities also seems to be a short-sighted approach to fiscal management.

Buying revenue is less than an optimal way to grow the business. With lowering employee morale, the company will face an increasingly difficult challenge to support the third part of the mission: Reliably supplied.

Kicked to the curb due to poor manager. To bad for him not for me, did me a favor.

Former Employee - Calibration in Saint Pete, FL
    Former Employee - Calibration in Saint Pete, FL

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The crew I worked with we're good friends.

Cons

There is no leadership. The plant is dirty. A poison pit of chemicals. No real training. All smoke and mirrors. Poor raises. No more pension. No more profit sharing. I could go on but what's the point

Learn a new trade. When your let go you really might need to no something about the kind of work you should have been doing. In a real company you wouldn't make it. Your time is coming.