Catalent Pharma

Updated November 11, 2014
2.3

Catalent Pharma President, CEO, and Director John R. Chiminski
John R. Chiminski

Pros
  • Close to home, good structure for annual reviews, management trying to reward and recognize (in 6 reviews)

• A few good people to work with but they will be leaving soon if competent management is not put in place after the sale (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work - life balance is 95 % on the work site (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not have a clue what is going on (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Kicked to the curb due to poor manager. To bad for him not for me, did me a favor.

Former Employee - Calibration in Saint Pete, FL
    Former Employee - Calibration in Saint Pete, FL

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The crew I worked with we're good friends.

Cons

There is no leadership. The plant is dirty. A poison pit of chemicals. No real training. All smoke and mirrors. Poor raises. No more pension. No more profit sharing. I could go on but what's the point

Learn a new trade. When your let go you really might need to no something about the kind of work you should have been doing. In a real company you wouldn't make it. Your time is coming.

Dissapointment

Current Employee - QA Department in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - QA Department in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a great place to work if you are a completely worthless individual. If you don't like to work hard this is the place for you. Spend your work day going from cube to cube talking to people, hang out around the coffee pot, don't worry about getting your work done because nobody will do anything to you. Just keep telling people how busy you are and you will be fine. You will never be challenged to do more, managers would rather dump on those that can perform than take action against those that won't.

Cons

Managers are incompetent.

If you work hard your only reward will be the work of your useless coworkers.

Better managers. Better decisions. Better compensation.

Ups and downs

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My department is fine and the only issue I have with it is sometimes there is a lack of communication. I'm on my own to complete tasks and manager is there to answer questions

Cons

Upper management does not have a clue what is going on. All they care about is the metrics so they can prove they are doing something to corporate. All information stops with them and nothing gets passed around. Seating was designed to make it easy on managers and not on the employees who have to coordinate with other departments. No trust in the building and very little trust with corporate. Numbers are the only thing that matters. No accountability.

Grow a back bone and lug nut up. Spread information to the people that need it, talk about and exercise trust.

Work hard but learned a lot

Current Employee - Lead Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never boring, lots of new skills, lots of opportunity

Cons

Work all the time. Weekends, holidays, ect... Customer timelines drive everything

Add the little things. Employees want to feel appreciated.

After 20 years I have seen lots of changes and not for the good.

Current Employee - Material Preparation in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Material Preparation in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO package is rather nice for me. We work a 2-2-3 week, 12 hour shifts. One week we get 8 hours overtime as our regular schedule. Therefore, one can take 2 PTO days and get a week off work. There is an incentive program and when the sun and the moon line up perfectly you get a bonus

Cons

Management sucks!!! Supervisors do not want to do their jobs correctly so a few employees do the work while the others who are supervisors friends sit around doing nothing all day. Basically lower management lies to the peon and upper management, then Upper management lies to everyone. We are trying to do a proper job with equipment that only minimally works. And some equipment and rooms don't work at all. Management doesn't want to put money into fixing equipment we already have that is broken. But they have spent money on equipment that is never put into use because it was never validated. They start projects and within weeks they lose interest and go on to something else. Staff has been cut back to skeleton level and some weeks there simply isn't enough work to keep us busy and other weeks we are slammed. Between problems with scheduling and raw material availability , there seems to be no communication at all. The work area is filthy by my standards but they seem to think if is fine.

Step away from your computer screen and stop looking at numbers and go to the floor and take a look a round. Talk to employees and be TRUTHFUL to them and yourselves. Get involved with the every day workings, take an objective look at lower management and see if they are actually doing their jobs for the betterment of the company or just sliding under the radar. The plant where I work is headed for a dead end.

Steer Clear

I worked at Catalent Pharma

Pros

Pros: Oxygen and coffee is free. Everything else you'll pay for like steerage on the Titanic. The only thing everyone at this company has in common is utter denial of the fact that the company is going nowhere. Those who are smart enough are already on a life boat or one of the Carnival Cruise ships somewhere else in RTP.

Cons

Cons: On average you will make approximately $10K - $15K less than you are worth. Disregard your education level, it doesn't really matter, you're going to treated like the analyst maggot that you are. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. Make sure you're ready to work weekends, and for the expectations of your work load to far exceed your capabilities.

It's kind of like going through boot camp for four days, being given a bullet proof vest and gun, getting shot in battle, then being reprimanded for getting hurt.

Catalent Motto: Here's your project. Figure it out. Don't make any mistakes or we will punish you. Don't ask questions.

Don't hire anyone who is smarter than you. Also avoid people who aren't scared of you. You're militia tactics are futile in a world where smart, talented people can walk next door for a better job where they are respected and paid a better wage. Don't fool yourselves, everyone with a good head on their shoulders at your company is only waiting for a better offer.

Growing company

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rapid growth, hiring constantly to meet demand, internal promotions are available and offered to those who show dedication and strong performance. Competitive wages.

Cons

Benefits package could be more competitive, long hours

Display more compassion for employees to make them feel they belong and are appreciated.

Associate Scientist

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice, smart co-workers. Never a dull moment, they have a lot of work for all the analyst. However, management does understand the need to have a work/life balance.

Cons

No bonuses. No incentive to work harder than you need to. This occasional leads to people that are less motivated to slide by and drop a larger chunk of work on others.

You need to offer bonuses.

Micro management with long hours

Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Scientist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Catalent Pharma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job! Just a paycheck and a good place to gain skills and experience. Use those skills and go work for a company that cares about their employees!

Cons

Long hours are expected. Pay is low! Managers micro manage and think very little of their employees

Get new managers

Stressful work environment outcome of toxic management team.

I worked at Catalent Pharma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great customers and co-workers. Beautiful country and wonderful community.

Cons

Inadequate business planning has the facility above maximum capacity. Not enough hours in the day to meet management's expectation of their people. Management does not follow recommendations of their reports.