www.catalyst.co.uk

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Greg Davis

Client / Business Solutions focused with highly experienced consultants and excellent work ethic

I have been working at Catalyst Development

Pros

Great people, good learning experience, variety of engagements, typically consultancy rather than body-shopping. Focused on Cap Mkts Ops and Tech. Provides high-end, advisory/strategic engagements and programme/project delivery as well as leadership development and training. No politics and plans for further growth.

Cons

Small, so less obvious internal structures and clear career choices at the moment. However, very meritocratic and recognition and reward given for great work.

Ensure that we grow over the next few years so we become a more recognised name within and outside our typical and known client base. Spread the word! Hire and develop more great people.

The consulting firm equivalent of a "Lads" magazine

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Catalyst Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a small firm, so you get to know everyone
    Always busy, so you don't spend too much time on the bench waiting for work
    Good expertise in regulatory change. I learnt a lot

Cons

Very "laddish" culture. Perpetuated from the top.
    Didn't feel comfortable as a woman. E.g. a Partner promised "to make a woman of me on my next engagement
    Run by 4 people. All men and very much into rugby and sport. Was hard to identify at times.
    Felt like I made a few people rich rather than developed my career

Live your stated values. "Women In Capital Markets" was a nice headline an message to customers, but from within the firm, as a woman, I didn't feel respected, valued or empowered.

Committed 4 years of my career, should have left after 6 months"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Catalyst Development full-time

Pros

Broad range of work

Flexible working options

Working closely with the Board Of Directors

Bonus scheme

Share scheme

Cons

Broad range of work - will sell anything to anyone regardless of whether we had the skills/experience.

Flexibile working options - I worked from home all the time, and nobody noticed.

Working closely with the Board of Directors - closely, but not in tune with. Be prepared for random conflicting direction and constant changing of mind

Bonus scheme - semi-annual, never reached expectations - business challenge cycle alway seemed perfectly aligned with the bonus cycle

Share scheme - OK if you're on the board - nice dividends paid as a priority over bonuses. Share scheme for new joiners requires an unrealistic valuation to ever be worth anything.

Grow the company - reward those people who have made you successful. Try to keep people in the firm for longer that you are currently able to.

A wide variety of assignments, quality clients, talented colleagues, open meritocracy, friendly and fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Catalyst Development

Pros

The quality of people you work with and the diversity of their backgrounds and experiences make it a very stimulating place to work. The philosophy is systemic change not just technical skills or domain expertise.
    The quality of client organisations and the senior level at which we operate is challenging. You have to be good to do well but that is attractive.
    The small company friendly feel. It is more than just a job or an 'employer'. There is a sense of family and long term commitment to good people. Most people are pretty genuine and likeable.

Cons

Does not suit everyone - you have to be self reliant AND a good collaborator AND flexible. Loners, one trick ponies, status conscious people and those who rely on being carried in a big team do not succeed.
    You have to be committed and a self starter - those who see it as just a job are not happy because it doesn't have the big company benefits or management structures to fall back on.
    It has been hard to get ABeam to invest anything in our growth.

Invest more in building a brand so that we get more widely known and recognised for the good stuff we do for our clients. That will help us grow.
    Create more specialist practices like CCP to take advantage of market opportunities.
    Have more company offsites - they are great!

I have been working at Catalyst Development

Pros

Small company, very transparent management decicions, flat hierarchy, nice people, frequennt social events and most people have fun at those

Cons

liimited exposure to projects and clients, limited infrastruture and limited opportunities for growth, no brand name, no critical mass and mainly a body shop

very little management can do but to groww the business which they are trying to do woth the acquisition of abeam