Catalyst Development Reviews

2.6
Greg Davis

Great Start with a Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Catalyst Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I began work here six months ago as a key member of their client services team. The culture here is fantastic. Catalyst operates a 'high trust' environment meaning you are given a certain element of autonomy over your work schedule and your working day. The office is a friendly environment to be in and there is a real sense of everyone working together as a team. The work/life balance here is great. You are expected to work hard when required, but generally the company makes sure that work does not intrude on your personal life. More importantly, the board of directors are extremely accessible and are happy to coach/spend time with everyone in the company as and when they need it. This builds confidence in the employees to do a good job and earns the company a huge amount of respect from its clients.

Cons

The IT equipment in the office could do with a bit of an upgrade!!

Advice to Management

Maintain the high trust environment as it creates a relaxed and decent working atmosphere within the rest of the employee base.

"yeah, but we would have won that business without you" x 1,000

I worked at Catalyst Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing I can say about my almost 2 year stint at Catlyst, was that it wasn't particularly hard work or stressful. The management team are so disconnected from reality, you very quickly realise that their approach is so inane and absurd, that you really can't get stressed or overworked in the environment they create. Wonderful lady who works in Marketing. Very creative. But the firm tries their best to crush her spirit at every opportunity.

Cons

I've been selling consulting services for many years and have built up a good list of contacts. Every contact and introduction I brought to the firm was countered with "yeah, but we could have won that without you". They really only need one sales person - the MD - he seems confident he knows everyone already. This really isn't conducive to a performant meritocracy and serves only to create feeble justification for the management team to disproportionately line their own pockets. There's two kinds of people at Catlyst; good people and people with no other option. The good people stay 6-12 months before realising the place is dysfunctional and move onto bigger and better things. The rest, have some kind of stain on their character that prevents them from moving on; they stick around making a strong contribution to the mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Seed the management team with real experience gained elsewhere. Create some diversity. Or sell the business and give everyone a fighting chance at another company.

The consulting firm equivalent of a "Lads" magazine

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Catalyst Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a small firm, so you get to know everyone Always busy, so you don't spend too much time on the bench waiting for work Good expertise in regulatory change. I learnt a lot

Cons

Very "laddish" culture. Perpetuated from the top. Didn't feel comfortable as a woman. E.g. a Partner promised "to make a woman of me on my next engagement Run by 4 people. All men and very much into rugby and sport. Was hard to identify at times. Felt like I made a few people rich rather than developed my career

Advice to Management

Live your stated values. "Women In Capital Markets" was a nice headline an message to customers, but from within the firm, as a woman, I didn't feel respected, valued or empowered.

Committed 4 years of my career, should have left after 6 months"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Catalyst Development full-time

Pros

Broad range of work Flexible working options Working closely with the Board Of Directors Bonus scheme Share scheme

Cons

Broad range of work - will sell anything to anyone regardless of whether we had the skills/experience. Flexibile working options - I worked from home all the time, and nobody noticed. Working closely with the Board of Directors - closely, but not in tune with. Be prepared for random conflicting direction and constant changing of mind Bonus scheme - semi-annual, never reached expectations - business challenge cycle alway seemed perfectly aligned with the bonus cycle Share scheme - OK if you're on the board - nice dividends paid as a priority over bonuses. Share scheme for new joiners requires an unrealistic valuation to ever be worth anything.

Advice to Management

Grow the company - reward those people who have made you successful. Try to keep people in the firm for longer that you are currently able to.

6. Client / Business Solutions focused with highly experienced consultants and excellent work ethic

Pros

Great people, good learning experience, variety of engagements, typically consultancy rather than body-shopping. Focused on Cap Mkts Ops and Tech. Provides high-end, advisory/strategic engagements and programme/project delivery as well as leadership development and training. No politics and plans for further growth.

Cons

Small, so less obvious internal structures and clear career choices at the moment. However, very meritocratic and recognition and reward given for great work.

Advice to Management

Ensure that we grow over the next few years so we become a more recognised name within and outside our typical and known client base. Spread the word! Hire and develop more great people.

A wide variety of assignments, quality clients, talented colleagues, open meritocracy, friendly and fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

The quality of people you work with and the diversity of their backgrounds and experiences make it a very stimulating place to work. The philosophy is systemic change not just technical skills or domain expertise. The quality of client organisations and the senior level at which we operate is challenging. You have to be good to do well but that is attractive. The small company friendly feel. It is more than just a job or an 'employer'. There is a sense of family and long term commitment to good people. Most people are pretty genuine and likeable.

Cons

Does not suit everyone - you have to be self reliant AND a good collaborator AND flexible. Loners, one trick ponies, status conscious people and those who rely on being carried in a big team do not succeed. You have to be committed and a self starter - those who see it as just a job are not happy because it doesn't have the big company benefits or management structures to fall back on. It has been hard to get ABeam to invest anything in our growth.

Advice to Management

Invest more in building a brand so that we get more widely known and recognised for the good stuff we do for our clients. That will help us grow. Create more specialist practices like CCP to take advantage of market opportunities. Have more company offsites - they are great!

Catalyst Development

Pros

Small company, very transparent management decicions, flat hierarchy, nice people, frequennt social events and most people have fun at those

Cons

liimited exposure to projects and clients, limited infrastruture and limited opportunities for growth, no brand name, no critical mass and mainly a body shop

Advice to Management

very little management can do but to groww the business which they are trying to do woth the acquisition of abeam

RSS Feed </> Embed