Catalyst Online

www.catalystsearchmarketing.com

Catalyst Online Reviews

Updated May 4, 2014

Beth LeTendre

An excellent place to work

ProsFast growing company with many career path options. The benefits are excellent, and the time-off policies are better than any company I've ever worked at.

ConsThe work-life balance is a challenge. There is always more work to do than can be accomplished in an eight hour day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. The growth of the company is opening up excellent career path opportunities.

Bad

Assistant (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsNice people to work with

ConsPoor management leading the company

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect Employees

True enterprise SEO

Organic Search Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCatalyst is tightly integrated with their Fortune 100 Clients, which gives you the opportunity to get some very deep insights into digital brand building. Their approach to search is very data driven and less speculative. The environment is very entrepreneurial. The people are incredible. The office space is okay, and features an beer hour and random golf games.

ConsAs with many agency jobs, the hours can be very long and unpredictable. The company has grown dramatically in the last year, so some of the groups are still figuring out their structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease staffing - Improve sales

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Agency

ProsInnovation relaxed environment and clients

ConsSalary and career opportunities are bad

Frustrated Working in Chicago Office

Search Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe office they share with Mindshare is nice. Some of the clients are top-notch.

ConsDirector and project manager have poor management skills. Very small team in Chicago. Chicago office is disconnected from the rest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more knowledgeable people for project managers. Provide management training to Directors.

Worse for existing employees than new hires

(Current Employee) Newton, MA

Pros- You get to brag about working on Fortune 500 brands

- You will meet a lot of smart people

- Foosball table (if you actually have time to use it)

- "7th Inning Stretch" - free beers and social hour at the end of every Thursday (if you're not too busy to attend)

- They are offering new hires almost double the salaries of many existing employees

Cons- No official on-boarding / training program for new hires in any department.

- No official performance review process, career growth planning, etc. (the company has been around since 1998 and the first-ever performance reviews were in 2012 and not tied to salary or raises).

- Most of the leadership team have been here too long and are too comfortable in their roles. They are not knowledgeable of the industry which has created a lack of urgency to evolve the organization and our offerings.

- Leadership blames the red tape of being part of the larger GroupM, WPP global network for not being able to make any meaningful changes.

- You seldom get to do anything innovative or creative, because we lock ourselves into long-term contracts with no wiggle room.

- You will find most of your recommendations are never implemented, so you get to brag about your big clients, but you don't get a lot of results or case studies to show for your efforts.

- Lack of standards and procedures causes major inconsistencies in the quality of work delivered to clients, as well as the quality of people in management roles.

- You are expected to work more than 40 hours per week, but your paystubs still say you're only getting paid for 40 hours each week. No paid overtime.

- If your job requires travel, you have to front the costs and get reimbursed. Some employees get company AMEX cards in their name.

- Employee turn-over here is a huge issue because employees are so poorly treated. The leadership team was actually pleased that we only lost 30% of our staff last year.

- Dreary offices, bathrooms are always dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that are just department figure heads, but don't do any work should be let go. They are a waste of resources and holding the company back. Internal procedures, standards, and training need to be prioritized.

Horrible company to work for

Project Manager (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsTo get underpaid and under appreciated

ConsExecutive leadership treats you like a child

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are people too

Great place to grow and learn in the SEO field

Search Manager (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsI've loved working at Catalyst. They have a nice, open, laid-back company culture, and it has been a huge asset to my career. I have learned a lot and have had the benefit of working with some amazing clients.

ConsThere is always a lot of work to be done, at times overwhelmingly so. However, on our team I feel that we do a great job of managing expectations.

Great Opportunity For Career Development While Contributing To Global Brands

Organic Search Member (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsWorking here has given me the opportunity to contribute to the success of some of the largest brands in the world. Before Catalyst, I did not work on big brand name/budget accounts so it is pretty exciting to see, first hand, how Search Marketing plays a vital (and growing) role in their overall digital/online strategies.

I am very happy walking into the office each morning, and a big reason for that is due to the laid back, but professional atmosphere. I have made many friendships here that extend beyond the office and am very fortunate to be working with some very bright folks.

ConsThe newton office is pretty drab in comparison to that of the NY office. Recent re branding efforts seems like we are moving in the right direction, and I am eager to see what exciting surprises the marketing team has in store.

Team restructuring during the Summer caused a few confusing/tense weeks, but in my opinion, nothing outside of what I expected. I like where we are headed.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the employee recognition program with rewards that will help us grow professionally and personally.

Frustrating Waste of Potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAwesome Enterprise level clients through GroupM. Great resume builder for that reason.

ConsLeadership has remained the same for the life of the company and they've reached a point of growth where they should bring in some leaders with more experience at the level they've grown to. With the exception of Benjamin Spiegel, none of them have any real clue about SEO in 2012 or innovation, despite their attempts at re-branding and throwing that word around without anything behind it. The innovation they are claiming is stuff every other decent Search agency has been doing for 2 years by now. It's embarrassing to work there if you care about being the best. With the exception of a dedicated few really great people, most people who work there either don't care because they have been beaten down by frustration, or like going to work to chill and getting away with it. Sadly, there is a very limited career path for those talented people they do have hence their issues with turnover, particularly in the NYC office. *Please note, the positive reviews on this site are a direct result of a concerted effort to solicit them internally to do damage control for the negative real ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more educated, relevant and involved in the industry you are in so you will both better appreciate, and be able to see through, some of your current talent. This would lead to real innovation instead of just talking about it. Also, listen to the unified feedback from the people doing the work and make some necessary changes to the leadership team to bring in some leaders to take you to the next level instead of just moving people around and changing their titles. You have some really talented people carrying the leadership that you will certainly lose as no one likes to keep working for someone they cannot learn from.

Worked for Catalyst Online? Contribute to the Community!