Catamaran Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.4

Mark A. Thierer

Pros
  • The ability to work from home but rumor is that by the end of 2013 that will go away (in 6 reviews)

• Medical benefits are OK and the time off is also not bad (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of overtime required is outrageous and work-life balance is non-existant (in 8 reviews)

• Expect long hours, constant fire fighting and changes in priority with amazing regularity (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical Soul-less Corporation

Former Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full time job with some overtime offered. They will lie to you about working holidays. You will work Christmas, Thanksgiving, and whatever other holidays you follow.

Cons

Atmosphere is very conductive towards alienation. You are turned into a mindless drone of the company. Okay job if you don't have children or a spouse. You will be constantly paranoid of being fired. I was also not fired. I left on good terms but I was disgusted with how the department was ran. This position also motivated me to go back to school and get a better degree so I never had to deal with a company like this again.

Not the absolute worst place to work, far from the best.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Catamaran full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The set hours are definitely a plus. Once you go permanent, there is a shift differential of $2 on weekdays after 6 pm and all day on the weekends. Overtime is abundant.

Cons

There is definitely a glass ceiling and its difficult to get promoted outside of the department because turnover is high and dedicated workers are hard to find. Management is not overly concerned with employee concerns or work experience.

Create more opportunities in order for MSR's to leave the department and transition into different roles within the company. No one is dead set on staying an MSR forever.

Rapidly changing direction

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Catamaran full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the opportunity to wear different hats. Not sure this is most employees positions, but I like the way my department sets ups for this

Cons

With buying up of other companies, the silos remain and therefore cause much disconnected experiences.

Build a strategy and stick to it.

Stay Well Away - What's the Difference?

Former Employee - Information Technology in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still good people left in this company. Salaries and benefits are good to above average for the market, and if they haven't changed it already, there is a good work from home policy available..

Cons

As far as Information Technology goes, Stay Well Away, here are the reasons why:

Ineffective, micro-managing, inept, and ignorant senior management at the Sr. Director level all the way up. Regardless of what you say your opinion won't count unless it reflects the top dog's, you'll have to get used to "my" way or no way.

They have systematically churned through quality IT staff at a pace that is unbelievable, and created a B or C team at best in the last couple of months. At the same time they have assembled a management team that relies on FUD and micro-management to get the job done.

Expect long hours, constant fire fighting and changes in priority with amazing regularity. Don't expect to get much praise, get used to the negatives over the positives.

If you don't mind being brow-beaten on a regular basis, then this is the place for you.

Senior Management - Listen to your front-line management team they know what they are doing and have the plans, act rather than ignore them. Give up on the surveys and how important they are to you and how you will act on them - we've all seen what doesn't happen. Finally, get an HR department with the "guts" to do the right thing.

Nice at first, then it gets ugly.

Current Employee - Msr in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Msr in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Catamaran full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is nice, and the OT pay is nice.

Cons

Scheduling, don't expect them to work with you if you're going to school. Expect to have to tailor the rest of your life around your work schedule, because that's what they expect of you. You're just a number there and have no value, everyone is expendable. No matter what kind of effort you put forth or how well you do. Lots of OT. Leadership constantly breathing down your neck. No team environment as was preached by leadership. Don't make any mistakes while working here because you'll be branded a black sheep and your record at the company will be tarnished forever making it pretty impossible to move up.

FLEXIBILITY. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.

Growing company in a fast-paced industry

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Catamaran full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low-touch management allows for complete freedom of day-to-day activities. Company is growing, and the industry is always changing providing new challenges. Lots of opportunities to get involved with other teams and take on more responsibilities.

Cons

Work-life balance. Long hours (50-60 per week). Lots of 'fire drills' since the company is growing so fast; hard to bring new employees up to speed fast enough. Making requests for any sort of IT access or software is a cumbersome process worth noting.

Focus on streamlining employee access to tools and resources.

Very Disorganized

Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Catamaran as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pleasant physical work environment, intelligent and friendly co-workers, good compensation, flexible work hours and allotment for remote work

Cons

The organization functions in constant reactive mode. The company lacks direction in terms of strategic planning, regulatory compliance, and related processes. Fractured communications and no accountability for select staff where accountability is essential. Near complete absence of standardized practices.

Leadership should engage line and management staff in decision-making processes involving technology tools.
    Leadership should establish, maintain,and enforce accountability across the board.
    Leadership should provide proper training for regulatory subjects and certify proprietary software products

Dynamic and growing organization with very talented people

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Catamaran full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined the Catamaran 8 months ago and have found this to be one of the best employment choices that I have ever made. The Leadership team is engaging, talented, and extremely knowledgeable. I received great training within my functional area, as well as other areas inside the organization. My team is collaborative, accountable, and willing to assist when needed. The pay is competitive with the market and the benefits are great!

Cons

As a remote employee, I would like the ability to spend more time in the corporate office for exposure, and to further build valuable relationships.

I really appreciate the direction that the organization is heading. Continue hiring the best and brightest people to continue to quest for the best. Kudos to the leadership team.

Director IT

I have been working at Catamaran full-time

Pros

Hard working people trying to do the right thing and effect positive change. Good leadership at the top for an industry perspective.

Cons

Company has grown quickly not integrating the parts, makes delivery of technical solution difficult. Leadership not in tune with the general associates.

Listen to the surveys and take action.

Wish I still worked there! Relocated out of state and haven't found anything that measures up.

I worked at Catamaran full-time

Pros

Great training, then independent work environments.

Cons

Your usual co-worker cliques and cattiness.