Catamaran Reviews

Not suggested....

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Catamaran

Pros

The pay is more than a lot of places, training was decent, decent co-workers

Cons

So called management sucked, except J.T. (she knows who she is), the attendance policy, people they hire for training classes.
    I had a 5 day stay at the hospital because I caught double pneumonia from the flu that was spreading around the Phoenix call center. On day 3 of me being in the hospital I was called and told that I was let go because of their stupid attendance policy (which I believe violates Federal law). I was hospitalized for something I caught at their place and was released for it - not cool at all. Fact is, they lost a good employee who loved helping out their members and pharmacists because of a policy that keeps them having to hire people all the time.

Correct your attendance policy, stop hiring people who don't want to be there, take care of your employees and stop promoting people who aren't ready to be supervisors.

Think before you join!

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free use of fitness center in Schaumburg office, nothing else I can think of.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are below average. Paid time off accrual is not bad until you actually attempt to take a day off. Workload can make work/life balance unachievable. Years of rapid growth through acquisition with spotty procedural documentation coupled with a silo mentality has taken a toll on the front line resources. It is humorous to hear from certain senior executives how great things are. The HR and Finance departments were the only fully staffed organizations. I can honestly say this was the worst career decision I ever made. Think long and hard before you pursue employment at this company.

Start developing a culture that respects individuals. Make CTRX a great place to work.

3. Disappointing...

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Catamaran

Pros

The work is simple.

Cons

The work atmosphere is horrible. There is an overwhelming sense of dread at all times.

Management doesn't listen. They blow smoke. The pay is better at a fast food restaurant.

Your either with us or against us!

Former Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company turnover rate is high so opportunities for a Job's will stay high.

Cons

Extremely long hours will devour your personal life balance. When additional resources are needed you go unheard. The bottom line is what the company ONLY cares about. You as an employee are nothing but a tool that will eventually break or be discarded. It's a crazy environment not worth giving your life too. Look somewhere else for a company that values its best resource - their people

Listen to your people and build an environment where fear isn't the motivator.

I wish i could give 0 stars

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Catamaran

Pros

Slightly Flexibile Schedule.. that's all!

Cons

Pay, appreciation, recognition, no direction, inconsiderate......the list could go on

Remember you cant do what your employees do, you are incapable so if you would like to progress in this industry show employees they matter.. Real raises and fair pay! Stop avoiding issues.

Where's my fries dude?

Current Employee - PA Specialist in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - PA Specialist in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Catamaran

Pros

They always have tissue in the bathroom? That's about the only plus to working here!

Cons

Inept at the VP and Director level - they manage through fear and intimidation, rip people apart in small/big group settings, demotivate and immasculate even the most inspiring people, and don't have the basic leadership skills to man the french-fry team at burger queen! That wonderful approach trickles down and infiltrates every other area - specifically the compliance area where you simply won't believe your ears/eyes when you've had the chance to work with the worst in any professional industry! There is simply not a more venomous, more vicious, more mean-spirited and totally demeaning attitude/approach anywhere. How does a company, a public company, let this string of horrible collection continue to exist? The workers in my group are too stupid to know any better and when a good leader accidentally stumbles into the group, it's usually not too long before they figure out how the real game is played and they leave. Why would anyone competent stay?

Don't believe me? Think I'm exaggerating? Then come work here. It's Sunday morning now...I had a very important and special event ruined yesterday because our wonderful compliance-reporting group can't seem to figure out how to run a report correctly - - so me and my coworkers are being called by our supervisors last evening and this morning and told to come to work today, Sunday, our day off, so we can correct thousands of records that are screwed up - by management! Why these reports couldn't be run weeks ago so its not such a last minute emergency is anyones guess! So about 100 people get their personal time ruined, again, to support the inept VP's and directors in their continued follies!

Been here a bit over one year...this has happened about 10 times! I have no quality of life because at Catamaran, you're a prisoner of the company and can't have a life outside of here! Mandatory Saturdays, Sundays and overtime during the week. Kill yourself for the company and enjoy your 2% raise.

Are you kidding me? This place is rotten at the top and the cancer extends all the way to supervisors. Our supervisors just suck too! Two new ones will be fine in 5 years or so when they get experience, but the others are inept and have no management skills whatsoever. The new site manager is great...but I'm failry certain hes wondering why he came here too. Like I said, anyone competent leaves eventually.

This is simply the worst place to work outside of wearing an orange suit and picking up garbage on the sides of the highways. Then again, that dont sound so bad afterall!

Remember, the basket should only be half-full with fries, press the little red button after you lower the basket into the grease, and remove and salt generously as soon as that crazy beeping sound starts! Good job. Now go clean the bathrooms!

Don't get comfortable...

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a high performer, you will be valued, and potentially be able to progress quickly in your career. As a result of the fast paced environment, as well as being understaffed, you have the opportunity to jump into many different projects, should you raise your hand and volunteer. Therefore, you can give yourself an opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time. This is knowledge that you can take elsewhere to continue making career advancements.

Cons

The problem with Catamaran is not that they are "understaffed," it is that they are hiring and promoting people who are not qualified to do their jobs, and then abondoning them in their roles with little to no training or guidance, and then they are surprised when their employees can't handle their work load. The middle management has no support from the upper management, because the upper management has either been there since the beginning of Catamaran time, or they have been hired in from other companies. How can the upper management claim to understand and support their teams, when they have no idea what their daily lives look like in their roles? While upper management is trying to build strategy, stream line processes, and push their teams forward, the middle management is trying to manage every day obstacles that the company ignores, and they can't keep up.
    The politics are out of control at Catamaran. For such a small company, you would think there could still be a sense of comradery. There's even been a new push for "increasing employee engagement". However, the minute someone in power dislikes you, or doesn't want you around anymore, they will find a way to get you out. They might just fire you due to performance issues, or they may bribe you to leave by offering you the chance to take a severance package and walk away, rather than trying to improve your performance and develop your skills. Either way, once you feel you are no longer wanted, it won't be too long before you are pushed out.
    If you do know someone in power, or someone who is well-liked, you probably won't have to worry about it. There are completely incompetent senior level managers, and even executives, who are still there because they made the right connections.

Stop worrying about engaging employees with "great managers" and start engaging employees by giving them the tools they need to get their jobs done on a daily basis. Start understanding your employees' roles and really listening to them and understanding their struggles. Mentor your employees and make sure they feel valued, instead of forgotten.

Look at some of the upper level management, and ask yourselves why they are still around.

Disappointing digression in culture

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Branding is clean and very professional for the most part across the company.

Cons

Little regard for the employee and making them feel valued. Stop taking small perks and benefits away from your employees, if you want to make cuts financially start at the top. It is really hurting morale and affecting the corporate culture.

Run far away from this company

Former Employee - Msr in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Msr in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Catamaran

Pros

Decent pay for call center

Cons

Management Management Management....did I say Management?

I was contacted by a staffing agency with the understanding the company had the typical call center expectations...show up for training, pass all the tests in training, show up everyday on time and so on. My original training class was a zoo. The trainers were too busy trying to act like the kids that were in it and they were way too old to be talking like the 20 year olds who were "laughing" in class and talking about them on break. I asked to be moved to another training class and told it was full but luckily a week later some room opened up and i was moved. I was also told that due to my experience I would also be given a $0.50 "raise" but it was all "hush hush" so no one's feelings got hurt. Immediately I found out that all but a few people in my new training class had been direct hires by Catamaran, had already chosen their schedules and had the attitude of "why should we pay attention or care?" They were disruptive, rude...I could go on and on. The few temp employees in the class were told we wouldn't be able to choose a schedule til the end of the class and it would be based on testing scores and our ranking in the class which also included our "behavior" in the class, all being documented by "mentors" (other employees) and the trainer. By the end of the class I found out they had "graduated" people who hadn't passed their tests just so they could have bodies in chairs and not be in violation of their contracts, mainly the Federal ones and not surprisingly it was the direct hires by Catamaran. In my time there I heard alot of these people months after training ended still couldn't answer the most basic questions.

I had a Supervisor who had only been with the company a short time before becoming a Supervisor and this with no previous healthcare experience. I know that people can learn; however, I would hear her give different answers to the same question in the same day. Unfortunately since I questioned her that put me on her bad side and she made sure that all my stats looked horrible. I tracked them so I knew what she doing. I was "coached" on 2 or 3 ridiculous things that were also inflated and false, things that other employees did numerous time but were patted on the head and told "Be more careful next time". Originally the staffing agency was supportive after I told them what was happening and that the supervisor had a reputation for basically being a bully but other employees warned me I would be fired for saying anything. However, the last straw was when I had the nerve to put it all in writing to the staffing agency and tell them her behavior was absolutely beyond unprofessional. It had started with an interview where she found it ok to lie to me and had turned into 4 months of harassment and when they felt it appropriate to show to her I was then told I had been the worst employee for the last 4 months but could never furnish me with proof or examples of what I had done wrong. I decided to to relieve them of my services.

Not too bad

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Catamaran full-time (more than a year)

Pros

pay, ability to work overtime

Cons

bad management, not very flexible