Catapult Learning

Catapult Learning Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good teaching experience,but too much paperwork.

Title I Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsI love teaching a variety of small groups. My supervisor is great but she is clearly overworked and under informed. She is great at following up on problems or "chinks" in the system.

ConsTons of paperwork. I have been here for 6 wks and I am still waiting for materials. I finally received a pay check today. I don't make enough for them too assume I will buy all of my consumables and wait for reimbursement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a better system for procuring supplies. I should ave been given a box of basics when I wallked into my school. Instead, I am locking my almost empty cabinets everyday while waiting for deliveries.

Terrible employer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing. This job transformed me from a normally happy and upbeat person to a miserable, underpaid and underutilized drone. Staff were underapreciated, and looked over for promotions and raises. Very political company; hired upper management by status and connections, not by experience and education, and then expected other employees to pick up the slack.

ConsFirst of all, for a company that is making huge profits, full-time employees had to pay an arm and a leg for terrible benefits. Then, they cut health benefits for all teachers, which is downright despicable. The upper management is completely out of touch with the employees that are actually doing the work. The salary differences are atrocious; when in fact the lower and entry level employees are doing the brunt of the work. I actually heard a member of the senior management team ask an entry level employee to complete something for him, complaining that he just didn't have enough free time that day. Then, he took complete credit for the assignment. Employee relationships were farced, and I have never met a group of people as unhappy as Catapult employees. It was quite depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about profits before your employees- sooner or later the economy will get better and you won't be able to bank on teachers needing a job so desperately that they resort to your company. Offer them benefits like any profitable large business would.

Quality of your teaching does not matter.

Title I Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmall classes. Teaching materials used by the children have improved. Most peers are good and care about the progress of the children.

ConsMore interested in student scores than the child's overall improvement. Teachers have to do a lot of "busy work" that is often duplicative. Managers do not listen to the satisfied parents regarding the effectiveness of the teacher. Monthly inservices meetings are rarely beneficial; mostly a time-waster. Little upward growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not base terminations on gossip of coworkers rather than facts. Fairly evaluate teachers rather than using covert surrogates who make decisions based on one-time events. Company staff should fairly represent the population and demographic you serve. Stop hiring relatives and close friends over people who are qualified for the positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harassing supervisors childrens education not important

Teacher (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosthere are no pros for this company or job

Consthe quality of your teaching does not matter. It only matters if you are doing things their way. The students really do not matter. Supervisors will tell you one thing and it ends up being something totally different. You are out of the classroom for so many meetings that there is no benefit to the children. Some employees who are in good with the supervisors get away with a multitude of sins. Supervisors do not appear to have much education when you read emails and letters sent company wide. Not a good company to work for at all!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually treat your teachers with dignity and care about the students.

Love the teaching but had limited support as an employee.

Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking with children in small groups.
    Very organized supervisor who helps with getting paperwork in order.
    Independence in teaching and lesson planning.
    Monthly meetings with other teachers.

ConsLack of benefits for teachers who spend all teaching day in their Catapult job. Must get health insurance on one's own. I have to work afterschool as well in order to pay for it.
    Upper management does not seek feedback from frontline teachers about what their needs are.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what your employees need to do their job better.
    Support them with benefits to promote company loyalty.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosflexible scheduling, excellent curriculum, supervisor is very supportive, small groups, paid vacation, friendly people to work with. Collaborative environment.

ConsSome of the teachers complain and bring negativity to us who really enjoy teaching for Catapult. Lots of paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the complainers who have nothing positive to say. Management seems to have a lot on their plates, bring in more help to offset the amount of work they have.

Overall it was good

IT Consultant (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosthey are very flexible if you have things that you need to take care of. The staff

ConsGovernment funded program dealing with education, so you don't know from one year to the next whether you will be employed or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to understand that the foundation of the business and everything that supports it comes from the bottom and not the top. Technology--Technology--Technology ----> if you forget this you will soon become obsolete.

The manager is overworked, and the company tries to be too much of a chameleon without that reptile's natural abilities.

Math Teacher (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proscompetitive pay

classroom teachers from schools that Catapult contracts with were gracious and helpful

high expectation re: students' behavior

it's a job

Conssupervisor would consistently say opposite things: one thing to my face and the 180 degree opposite when speaking with the school principal, like a compulsive "yes man"

not given a key to the Catapult classroom so that I could leave my and Catapult's valuables alone while using the restroom or making copies

no parking anywhere within blocks; walking with heavy supplies and wheelie-cart, then having to manipulate all of the above up and down flights of stairs all day

severe lack of necessary and important supplies such as official forms that have to be present in students' and teachers' files; I usually provide my own office supplies, but the lack of official forms, and then working at two different schools made following the rules impossible

lack of actual file cabinet required by Catapult to house all the files, portfolios, and forms in the order they prescribe

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to simplify and to realize that you can't be everything to everybody, while still following your own guidelines.

Try not to have opposing or contradictory situations that make it impossible to do the task at hand.

You can deal with the elephant in the middle of the room professionally and diplomatically without pretending like he or she isn't really there.

It is a lot of paperwork. .

Title I Educational Specialist (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI get to work with children who need me in a small group. As a former classroom teacher it is refreshing to be able to actually help kids and meet them at their level.

ConsThere is way too much paperwork. We complete reports and send data to different places but in a different way.

Good supervisor and schedule but terrible company

School-Community Liaison (Counselor/Social Worker) (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe School-Community Liaison group was a great department to be in, with great colleagues and a lovely manager. She is retiring and being replaced by an equally lovely manager. Working a school schedule is great, and hours are relatively flexible. Very understanding immediate management. You can collect unemployment over the summer since it's a for-profit company, so you don't get caught in the school situation for unemployment.

ConsSalary SUCKS and is non-negotiable: everyone who starts in the department gets the same salary regardless of experience. Also there are NO merit raises, and frequently no COLA raises either. They promote the job as having all this tuition reimbursement available, but then say that they'll only pay for courses that are required for your job or degree maintenance; well, there are no requirements for this job or the degree, basically, so you really never get to take advantage of that. Very large employee contribution for health benefits. They also promote their 401(k) match, but I did not receive a match in 3 of my 4 years there. Big scam. Also, NO communication from upper management to "the little people" and barely any to the people above that. Everything's very hush-hush/inner-circle in the management departments. Run by OLD people who are inflexible and intolerant of newer ways of approaching business. Hopefully when those people finally retire the company will change for the better. OH--also, it is a for-profit company but treats employees and deals with physical plant and supplies/resources as though it's a non-profit. HUGE disparity in salary between upper management and everyone else who actually does the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUgh--get a modern clue!

Worked for Catapult Learning? Contribute to the Community!