Catapult Learning

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not a real company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers/supervisors in the field are great to work with

ConsUpper management has control of everything. No room for growth and their decisions are extremely shady. It's all based on who you're best friends with, not how well you do your job. Their interest has nothing to do with the schools or students- it's about making money so management can get bigger increases/bonuses.

Raises are non existent and the benefits are high. Promotions don't exist unless you are buddies with upper management. You can be a bum off the street but as long as you know a higher up, you'll go really far.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all upper management and bring in some real leaders. This is the only company I know who would bring in a CFO with just a bachelor's and 5 years of experience. Your "leaders" currently are a joke and are doing nothing but hurting the company. It's evident that you don't care about your employees so make a change soon because you all aren't capable of running the company yourselves.

Great in terms of training, resources, supervision and team approach to teaching, learning and record keeping

Mathematics Totor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLimited opportunity for promotion, good company values but average compensation

ConsNo collaboration with parents and other teachers, time off without pay but acceptable work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize opportunity to share challenges students face, payment to be effected if reason is not due to tutor's decision.

Very educational, but all about the money

Title I Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Help at risk students
    -Small classes
    -Low expectations

Cons-Tedious paperwork
    -Company's main goal is to keep customers (principal) happy
    -The quality of teaching

Advice to Senior ManagementReexamine company's goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work

Tech (Current Employee) Camden, NJ

ProsThe best part about working here is the people. Most of the workers are extremely nice and easy to get along with.

ConsI wouldn't say there's a lot wrong with the company, except that space is starting to become an issue. Other than that, it's not so bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould probably get bigger space to hold all the forms and other physical materials.

Very bad experience with this terrible company

Teacher (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsTutoring students when it is possible.

ConsAll supervisors have different ideas about how to treat teachers. If you are not a friend or family member of a supervisor, you have no shot of being respected. Most assistants are related to one another and will make sure no one else fits in because they are very jealous women. Supervisors treat teachers like they are children. The women who work in New Orleans are very clickish and treat others unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement from New York needs to go to the New Orleans office and rehire new supervisors and start all over. it is a mess. Nothing is consistent. Only if you are a daughter, cousin, or best friend of a supervisor, will you have a chance at working at a good school.
    Every school I go to, they complain about this company. No one is satisfied. Lots of conflict between assistant and teacher. I hope that someone will change some things in the management office in New Orleans...

Was a good place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt was a decent place to work before the division I worked for got acquired by KLC. I worked in the corporate office in Baltimore. Once the company was acquired, everyone was laid off.

ConsStressful, promotion potential is zero. Better to come in at a higher level. Management was often not supportive, and had very little influence beyond their level.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no promotions. Seems like they wanted you to do the work of the higher position at your same pay before the promotion even though your performance merited a promotion.

The staff members that I have worked with are all caring, friendly, professional, and overworked.

Title I Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe scripted lessons are from an excellent standards based program. Teaching small groups is intimate and is always wonderful (if you really want to teach). The company has access to $$$ so they can get supplies to you, if you can afford to purchase them yourself and get reimbursed that is faster.

ConsThis is based on federal $$$ so there are tons of paperwork. You are "officially working" whatever hours you are actually in front of students, however there is prep for every lesson, monthly reports, assessments to gather, and other paperwork that you are not paid for. It is all included in the salary which assumes that you know there is always paperwork,
    If you are not organized, you will not make it. Your immediate experience is a function of how efficient, honest, and friendly your supervisor is. Mine is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear when giving directives. Please explain when there is a "hard deadline" and a soft deadline. In the field of education there are few actual deadlines and the idea of a drop-dead-hard-deadline is foreign to most experienced unionized teachers. Also be honest. If you dont know, then tell us that you will find out. Also, after starting us on some new directive, do spot checks to see if we are on point.

Horrendous place to work

ProsI love working with kids

ConsCatapult management has no understanding, concern or respect for employees and treats all field employees as though they are lazy teenagers who have to be watched every minute to keep them from goofing off or stealing the paperclips. Required office supplies were kept (literally) in a locked cabinet and although there was a requisition procedure, all requisitions were denied. They do not pay for any supplies employees buy on their own and do not reimburse travel expenses. The pay is about half of what the local public schools pay. Benefits are poor and employees pay dearly for them. Employees who use sick pay, even if they have earned it, are threatened with reprimand or termination. Employees with disabilities are not accommodated and those who are injured on the job are fired. The company is currently trying to get all field employees listed as working less than 30 hours a week so that they can cut health insurance all together. Employees are required to keep track of and report on line everything they do every minute of every day. Sometimes it takes longer to report something you did than it did to do it. Logging a 3 minute phone call can take 5 to 10 minutes. Employees at your local Walmart or McDonald's get more respect from their managers. My advice to prospective applicants is to take a job with Catapult only if you have to and keep looking for something better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating professional employees with college degrees and years of experience like unruly teenagers who can't be trusted not to steal paperclips.

Poor Management & Employee Treatment

Tutor (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-teaching experience
    -students
    -lesson plans provided by company
    -paid training

Cons-no employee benefits/insurance
    -high turnover rate (a minimum of 10 people left employment within 6 months)
    -low salary in comparison to job requirements (employee education not taken into account)
    -large amounts of paperwork per week
    -employees must buy own supplies (materials provided are in poor condition)
    -poor & inefficient management by education coordinator
    -employee opinions and well-being ignored
    -subservient treatment of employees by education coordinator
    -low motivation portrayed by staff, employees, & management

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional behavior should strongly be practiced and pursued by education coordinator and top management. Top management should be present during meetings to allow employees to feel comfortable verbalizing comments for/against procedures without retaliation. Top management should monitor workplace environment ONCE per WEEK and UNANNOUNCED to ensure ideal proceedings on site.

Very little respect and general feeling of unappreciation for math tutors

Math Tutor (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome flexibility with scheduling, I got to learn how to use a calculator for graphing purposes

ConsMath tutors were only part time, but because of the school schedule(lunch, not teaching during certain periods of the day), the majority of the work day was taken up, making it hard to have another job. We were severely underappreciated at the job we were performing, the teachers didn't interact with us hardly at all, we really had to seek them out if we needed anything. We had to spend too much time on class management (making sure students were behaving) with no training on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the math tutor position a full-time job with benefits. This being a primary job for most tutors, benefits are needed. Have better alignment with the school, unless this was the one I worked at only.

Worked for Catapult Learning? Contribute to the Community!