Catapult Learning

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014
2.3

CEO

Very little respect and general feeling of unappreciation for math tutors

Former Employee - Math Tutor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some flexibility with scheduling, I got to learn how to use a calculator for graphing purposes

Cons

Math tutors were only part time, but because of the school schedule(lunch, not teaching during certain periods of the day), the majority of the work day was taken up, making it hard to have another job. We were severely underappreciated at the job we were performing, the teachers didn't interact with us hardly at all, we really had to seek them out if we needed anything. We had to spend too much time on class management (making sure students were behaving) with no training on that.

Make the math tutor position a full-time job with benefits. This being a primary job for most tutors, benefits are needed. Have better alignment with the school, unless this was the one I worked at only.

Poor Management & Employee Treatment

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

-teaching experience
    -students
    -lesson plans provided by company
    -paid training

Cons

-no employee benefits/insurance
    -high turnover rate (a minimum of 10 people left employment within 6 months)
    -low salary in comparison to job requirements (employee education not taken into account)
    -large amounts of paperwork per week
    -employees must buy own supplies (materials provided are in poor condition)
    -poor & inefficient management by education coordinator
    -employee opinions and well-being ignored
    -subservient treatment of employees by education coordinator
    -low motivation portrayed by staff, employees, & management

Professional behavior should strongly be practiced and pursued by education coordinator and top management. Top management should be present during meetings to allow employees to feel comfortable verbalizing comments for/against procedures without retaliation. Top management should monitor workplace environment ONCE per WEEK and UNANNOUNCED to ensure ideal proceedings on site.

Good teaching experience,but too much paperwork.

Current Employee - Title I Teacher
    Current Employee - Title I Teacher

I have been working at Catapult Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love teaching a variety of small groups. My supervisor is great but she is clearly overworked and under informed. She is great at following up on problems or "chinks" in the system.

Cons

Tons of paperwork. I have been here for 6 wks and I am still waiting for materials. I finally received a pay check today. I don't make enough for them too assume I will buy all of my consumables and wait for reimbursement.

There needs to be a better system for procuring supplies. I should ave been given a box of basics when I wallked into my school. Instead, I am locking my almost empty cabinets everyday while waiting for deliveries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible employer.

I worked at Catapult Learning full-time

Pros

Nothing. This job transformed me from a normally happy and upbeat person to a miserable, underpaid and underutilized drone. Staff were underapreciated, and looked over for promotions and raises. Very political company; hired upper management by status and connections, not by experience and education, and then expected other employees to pick up the slack.

Cons

First of all, for a company that is making huge profits, full-time employees had to pay an arm and a leg for terrible benefits. Then, they cut health benefits for all teachers, which is downright despicable. The upper management is completely out of touch with the employees that are actually doing the work. The salary differences are atrocious; when in fact the lower and entry level employees are doing the brunt of the work. I actually heard a member of the senior management team ask an entry level employee to complete something for him, complaining that he just didn't have enough free time that day. Then, he took complete credit for the assignment. Employee relationships were farced, and I have never met a group of people as unhappy as Catapult employees. It was quite depressing.

Stop thinking about profits before your employees- sooner or later the economy will get better and you won't be able to bank on teachers needing a job so desperately that they resort to your company. Offer them benefits like any profitable large business would.

Quality of your teaching does not matter.

Former Employee - Title I Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Title I Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Catapult Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small classes. Teaching materials used by the children have improved. Most peers are good and care about the progress of the children.

Cons

More interested in student scores than the child's overall improvement. Teachers have to do a lot of "busy work" that is often duplicative. Managers do not listen to the satisfied parents regarding the effectiveness of the teacher. Monthly inservices meetings are rarely beneficial; mostly a time-waster. Little upward growth.

Do not base terminations on gossip of coworkers rather than facts. Fairly evaluate teachers rather than using covert surrogates who make decisions based on one-time events. Company staff should fairly represent the population and demographic you serve. Stop hiring relatives and close friends over people who are qualified for the positions.

Harassing supervisors childrens education not important

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Catapult Learning part-time

Pros

there are no pros for this company or job

Cons

the quality of your teaching does not matter. It only matters if you are doing things their way. The students really do not matter. Supervisors will tell you one thing and it ends up being something totally different. You are out of the classroom for so many meetings that there is no benefit to the children. Some employees who are in good with the supervisors get away with a multitude of sins. Supervisors do not appear to have much education when you read emails and letters sent company wide. Not a good company to work for at all!!!

Actually treat your teachers with dignity and care about the students.

Love the teaching but had limited support as an employee.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Catapult Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with children in small groups.
    Very organized supervisor who helps with getting paperwork in order.
    Independence in teaching and lesson planning.
    Monthly meetings with other teachers.

Cons

Lack of benefits for teachers who spend all teaching day in their Catapult job. Must get health insurance on one's own. I have to work afterschool as well in order to pay for it.
    Upper management does not seek feedback from frontline teachers about what their needs are.

Find out what your employees need to do their job better.
    Support them with benefits to promote company loyalty.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Catapult Learning

Pros

flexible scheduling, excellent curriculum, supervisor is very supportive, small groups, paid vacation, friendly people to work with. Collaborative environment.

Cons

Some of the teachers complain and bring negativity to us who really enjoy teaching for Catapult. Lots of paperwork.

Get rid of the complainers who have nothing positive to say. Management seems to have a lot on their plates, bring in more help to offset the amount of work they have.

Overall it was good

Former Employee - IT Consultant  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Catapult Learning

Pros

they are very flexible if you have things that you need to take care of. The staff

Cons

Government funded program dealing with education, so you don't know from one year to the next whether you will be employed or not.

You need to understand that the foundation of the business and everything that supports it comes from the bottom and not the top. Technology--Technology--Technology ----> if you forget this you will soon become obsolete.

The manager is overworked, and the company tries to be too much of a chameleon without that reptile's natural abilities.

Current Employee - Math Teacher  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Catapult Learning

Pros

competitive pay

classroom teachers from schools that Catapult contracts with were gracious and helpful

high expectation re: students' behavior

it's a job

Cons

supervisor would consistently say opposite things: one thing to my face and the 180 degree opposite when speaking with the school principal, like a compulsive "yes man"

not given a key to the Catapult classroom so that I could leave my and Catapult's valuables alone while using the restroom or making copies

no parking anywhere within blocks; walking with heavy supplies and wheelie-cart, then having to manipulate all of the above up and down flights of stairs all day

severe lack of necessary and important supplies such as official forms that have to be present in students' and teachers' files; I usually provide my own office supplies, but the lack of official forms, and then working at two different schools made following the rules impossible

lack of actual file cabinet required by Catapult to house all the files, portfolios, and forms in the order they prescribe

Try to simplify and to realize that you can't be everything to everybody, while still following your own guidelines.

Try not to have opposing or contradictory situations that make it impossible to do the task at hand.

You can deal with the elephant in the middle of the room professionally and diplomatically without pretending like he or she isn't really there.

Worked for Catapult Learning? Contribute to the Community!