Catapult Systems

Updated September 17, 2014
4.1

Catapult Systems Chief Executive Officer David Fuess
David Fuess

Pros
  • great work life balance and managers really value your life outside of work (in 12 reviews)

• The only reason I look back with fondness at Catapult is because of the great people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only two cons in working at Catapult the first is the lack of leadership (at least in the Houston office) (in 2 reviews)

• The only con that I can think of is that fact that Catapult seems to take on more work than the team can handle (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Immature, failing company

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Old reputation from twenty years ago, tied to Microsoft's growth

Cons

Out of date
    Immature
    Lost
    Failing business model
    Lack of foresight in Executive management
    Mid-manager drones, hiring more (ex-military) drones
    Avoid this place

Upgrade your view on work before you die

Catapult Systems Response

Jun 19, 2014VP - Talent Acquisition

We certainly know that we are not perfect here at Catapult Systems, and we love that Glassdoor allows people to express their unedited opinions. This helps us take a look at ourselves to see how we ... More

Cool company that is still in transition

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is still laid back. And for the most part you are treated like an adult.

Cons

Do to their incomplete transition with their merger the company has little room for spin up or time to let individuals develop. I was laid off after 3 short months!!

Great place to work

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has an amazing culture, smart people, great teamwork, and opportunity to enhance your career while having lots of fun. The company exhibits its brand promise of Our people are easy to work with, We bring the whole team, and We always deliver on a daily basis.

Cons

If you are not passionate about what you do, you'll be in open pretty quick! Guess that is not a bad thing!!

Keep doing the right things. Keep focus on employees and clients and company growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Without a question, Catapult has been the best place I've worked, ever. I will retire with this company!

Current Employee - Sales  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love this company both at a local and corporate level. Systems are mature and rock solid. There's a great attitude that permeates from the top down. The management team is fabulous, engaging and lead from example. This is a company where anyone can grow, develop and proudly carry the company flag. Or in this case, crest.

Cons

The only challenge I see is market driven. We are growing at such a fast pace, we need to have more consultants on board.

I would consider offering a sabbatical program for long-term employment. Perhaps something like 1 week per year of employment once someone has fully vested 10 years. This could be a great incentive.

One of a kind

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Catapult truly cares about people. They hire smart professionals in the top 10% of their field. Catapult is 'others' focused from the CEO to the Director of First Impressions.

Cons

Rapid growth at times can spread teams thin. This corrects itself once hiring ramps up, but hiring the best and the brightest takes time.

Hire to the bench.

Fair, Hard Working, Smart and Fun

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of really smart people who are really focused on delivering great solutions for customers, they are very fair with employees and reasonable for work/life balance. Very low turnover, a great place for folks tired of the nonsense with the average consulting companies.

Cons

Client projects can be intense and challenging. Catapult doesn't have the same benefits as the full time travel consulting gigs, so that is a trade off.

Expand to the West Coast and internationally, which will allow consultants to have more opportunity for growth.

A recognition that consultants are the center of the entire business model.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

First, I have been consulting for many years (and for many companies prior to Catapult). Hands down I work with the most talented and brightest technologists and business consultants in the land. There is not a weak link given our recruiting process covers all aspect of hiring - technical chops, cultural fit, fun individuals, team players, and hard workers.

Secondly, Bonuses are right sized and are given for the individual contribution each consultant makes to the overall business (whether the business is doing well or not so well). For those who have experience with other technology consulting companies, it's not about an arbitrary quarterly bonus based on the financial performance of the company that may or may not be paid out. Our metrics are well defined, and are based on the individuals contribution on a weekly and monthly basis (and bonuses are paid monthly). My monthly bonuses are predictable, and really just a regular part of my overall income.

Third, Catapult's Systems model is to keep local consultants local. There is certainly occasional travel, however, consultants are not expected (unless the want to) to be road warriors. That speaks to work life balance. You may be able to get a point or two up in Salary by going to another consulting company - but that company is going to expect you to get on a plane Monday morning and come home Friday night. That's just not Catapult's model.

Lastly, I have been at Catapult Systems for over 5 years, and there was not a single career growth opportunity or career development discussion or request that I was not supported on. Not one, seriously. Catapult as a company and a culture has supported any interest or career path I wanted to pursue. There are a lot of talented folks here, and not one idea or one voice is ever drowned out.

Cons

In my time at Catapult, one of the challenges (and benefits) was our size. Small company with tight culture, but sometimes we didn't get invited to the party on some of the bigger and more technical projects. I am hopeful that with the recent acquisition by a global company and our leaderships communication that our culture will stay the same may open up some of these larger and more complex (and fun) opportunities.

Continue to keep nurturing the "Catapult Culture".

Working at Catapult is everything I thought it was going to be, and so much more.

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is amazing. Let's just say, the company get's it!

Cons

I cant think of anything I don't like about working at Catapult.

Great people, family oriented, great learning experience, weak benefits

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) I love the exposure to technology.

2) I love meeting a bunch of new people.

3) They are very forgiving if you have a family commitment that interferes with a project. They will back you up and not hold it against you.

4) The culture is top notch. The employee events are fun and interesting.

5) The pay can be very good (if you haggle for it or are an established name in the community).

6) As long as you are able to self-manage, you do not have to go to the office in between clients. Being able to work from home somewhat makes up for the weak vacation time off. But, make sure you are not a slacker or you will not last in this industry.

7) At least in our office, we are often able to manage our own projects (IMO, PMs don't add value unless it's a giant project that needs separate managing).

8) Every once in a while, a more experienced consultant will hold a training session to introduce you to something new so you can increase your knowledge and your value.

9) Some of the managers make you feel comfortable to talk to them.

Cons

1) Weak benefits. The only thing attractive about the benefits here is that you have insurance. The insurance premium per paycheck is pretty high. Almost no 401k matching.

2) They will sometimes try to push you into an engagement you are not ready for. So, tell them NO if you are not ready. But, this is not just an issue with Catapult. It's an issue with this industry.

3) Sometimes they make ridiculous inquiries about travel expenses.

4) As mentioned in a couple other reviews, not much formal training is available. But, to be fair, if you request a week on the bench before your first project on something new to you, they often will grant it. But, that learning is 90% on your own. The SME is often too busy to help you learn it.

5) The merit/promotion pay increases are not very good. This goes back to the "haggling" comment in #5 of the pros.

6) Communication is sometimes frustrating. Some of the more experienced consultants with that product simply ignore you if you send an IM/email with a question. They could at least acknowledge you and say that they will get back to you as soon as they can. But, again to be fair: There are quite a few who are super helpful.

Listen to your employees and do your best to act on their concerns. Do something about the benefits. Make Catapult more attractive to new employees. Make your mid-level consultants feel more valued. Change your promotion/merit increase policy to make it less likely that a consultant will leave or threaten to leave. Do something about the benefits (Yes, I said that twice for emphasis on importance).

System Center

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, work balance OK, great team work, communication OK.

Cons

No training
    Stressful environment
    Promise not kept.

Stop looking at only the money

Worked for Catapult Systems? Contribute to the Community!