Catapult Systems

www.catapultsystems.com
Employer Engaged

Without a question, Catapult has been the best place I've worked, ever. I will retire with this company!

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company both at a local and corporate level. Systems are mature and rock solid. There's a great attitude that permeates from the top down. The management team is fabulous, engaging and lead from example. This is a company where anyone can grow, develop and proudly carry the company flag. Or in this case, crest.

Cons

The only challenge I see is market driven. We are growing at such a fast pace, we need to have more consultants on board.

I would consider offering a sabbatical program for long-term employment. Perhaps something like 1 week per year of employment once someone has fully vested 10 years. This could be a great incentive.

One of a kind

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Catapult truly cares about people. They hire smart professionals in the top 10% of their field. Catapult is 'others' focused from the CEO to the Director of First Impressions.

Cons

Rapid growth at times can spread teams thin. This corrects itself once hiring ramps up, but hiring the best and the brightest takes time.

Hire to the bench.

Fair, Hard Working, Smart and Fun

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of really smart people who are really focused on delivering great solutions for customers, they are very fair with employees and reasonable for work/life balance. Very low turnover, a great place for folks tired of the nonsense with the average consulting companies.

Cons

Client projects can be intense and challenging. Catapult doesn't have the same benefits as the full time travel consulting gigs, so that is a trade off.

Expand to the West Coast and internationally, which will allow consultants to have more opportunity for growth.

A recognition that consultants are the center of the entire business model.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First, I have been consulting for many years (and for many companies prior to Catapult). Hands down I work with the most talented and brightest technologists and business consultants in the land. There is not a weak link given our recruiting process covers all aspect of hiring - technical chops, cultural fit, fun individuals, team players, and hard workers.

Secondly, Bonuses are right sized and are given for the individual contribution each consultant makes to the overall business (whether the business is doing well or not so well). For those who have experience with other technology consulting companies, it's not about an arbitrary quarterly bonus based on the financial performance of the company that may or may not be paid out. Our metrics are well defined, and are based on the individuals contribution on a weekly and monthly basis (and bonuses are paid monthly). My monthly bonuses are predictable, and really just a regular part of my overall income.

Third, Catapult's Systems model is to keep local consultants local. There is certainly occasional travel, however, consultants are not expected (unless the want to) to be road warriors. That speaks to work life balance. You may be able to get a point or two up in Salary by going to another consulting company - but that company is going to expect you to get on a plane Monday morning and come home Friday night. That's just not Catapult's model.

Lastly, I have been at Catapult Systems for over 5 years, and there was not a single career growth opportunity or career development discussion or request that I was not supported on. Not one, seriously. Catapult as a company and a culture has supported any interest or career path I wanted to pursue. There are a lot of talented folks here, and not one idea or one voice is ever drowned out.

Cons

In my time at Catapult, one of the challenges (and benefits) was our size. Small company with tight culture, but sometimes we didn't get invited to the party on some of the bigger and more technical projects. I am hopeful that with the recent acquisition by a global company and our leaderships communication that our culture will stay the same may open up some of these larger and more complex (and fun) opportunities.

Continue to keep nurturing the "Catapult Culture".

Working at Catapult is everything I thought it was going to be, and so much more.

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing. Let's just say, the company get's it!

Cons

I cant think of anything I don't like about working at Catapult.

Great people, family oriented, great learning experience, weak benefits

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) I love the exposure to technology.

2) I love meeting a bunch of new people.

3) They are very forgiving if you have a family commitment that interferes with a project. They will back you up and not hold it against you.

4) The culture is top notch. The employee events are fun and interesting.

5) The pay can be very good (if you haggle for it or are an established name in the community).

6) As long as you are able to self-manage, you do not have to go to the office in between clients. Being able to work from home somewhat makes up for the weak vacation time off. But, make sure you are not a slacker or you will not last in this industry.

7) At least in our office, we are often able to manage our own projects (IMO, PMs don't add value unless it's a giant project that needs separate managing).

8) Every once in a while, a more experienced consultant will hold a training session to introduce you to something new so you can increase your knowledge and your value.

9) Some of the managers make you feel comfortable to talk to them.

Cons

1) Weak benefits. The only thing attractive about the benefits here is that you have insurance. The insurance premium per paycheck is pretty high. Almost no 401k matching.

2) They will sometimes try to push you into an engagement you are not ready for. So, tell them NO if you are not ready. But, this is not just an issue with Catapult. It's an issue with this industry.

3) Sometimes they make ridiculous inquiries about travel expenses.

4) As mentioned in a couple other reviews, not much formal training is available. But, to be fair, if you request a week on the bench before your first project on something new to you, they often will grant it. But, that learning is 90% on your own. The SME is often too busy to help you learn it.

5) The merit/promotion pay increases are not very good. This goes back to the "haggling" comment in #5 of the pros.

6) Communication is sometimes frustrating. Some of the more experienced consultants with that product simply ignore you if you send an IM/email with a question. They could at least acknowledge you and say that they will get back to you as soon as they can. But, again to be fair: There are quite a few who are super helpful.

Listen to your employees and do your best to act on their concerns. Do something about the benefits. Make Catapult more attractive to new employees. Make your mid-level consultants feel more valued. Change your promotion/merit increase policy to make it less likely that a consultant will leave or threaten to leave. Do something about the benefits (Yes, I said that twice for emphasis on importance).

System Center

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, work balance OK, great team work, communication OK.

Cons

No training
    Stressful environment
    Promise not kept.

Stop looking at only the money

New Employee. Fantastic Experience.

I have been working at Catapult Systems

Pros

I have only been with Catapult a short time. I came from a large contracting company that treated employees like disposable commodities. The entire "feel" of Catapult is different. The onboarding process was very hands on. The managers flew to my office to make sure my first week was seamless. The training has been great and everyone has been very helpful and welcoming.

Cons

None I can think of, so far so good.

Just make sure that the Catapult culture isn't lost, regardless of how large we become.

Among the top 10% - coworkers are excellent

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Catapult hires the top 10% in the industry so I have the good fortune to work with some of the most polished and capable technologists the industry has to offer.

Cons

One must rise to the occasion when they find themselves among the top 10%

Catapult

Current Employee - SharePoint Architect in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - SharePoint Architect in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent people and knowledge base - good access to learning assets as long as you learn on your own

Cons

very low raises and low bonus set up - training is on your own - no sending people to classes
    BUT, they go give you resources to read and encourage testing. Just sold to the Chinese