Caterpillar

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman

Douglas R. Oberhelman

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CMM Quality /Line inspector

CMM Operator (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsGrowth, meet people from allover the world , to prove valve components good quality...

ConsThings that went on in the 70s have changed today you get into deep trouble quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people that know blueprint Specs. , some leaders are young

They don't care for thee people that actual make them profitable. The men & women on the factory floor

4m90 (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

Prosnone to speak of because they don't foster a place to work together and build a good company. just how to abuse the workers.

ConsToo many to list. they interrupt a binding labor contract any way they want to screw the employee the hardest.

Advice to Senior Managementstart taking care of the person on the factory floor it used to be a good place to work. when start looking at the bottom line and not who and how you got there, then all is lost.

I shouldn't complain....

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Montgomery, IL

ProsMy close work mates including guys on the shop floor were nice to work with

ConsMore resources dedicated to outsourcing than investing within. When large capital projects can be "sold" to management, it takes years to get done and is controlled by the accounts. WAY to many layers of useless, non value adding mid management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the revolving door into and out of mid/high level management positions, develop some leadership continuity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really depends on location

Aurora, IL

ProsLots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies into design. Worldwide travel.

ConsLeadership is poor and decisions are very short sighted based on manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to improve the culture in the big three. Do more to understand who is providing value.

Once you get in, you need to get out!!

Packaging Engineer (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsCan make your own schedule, and as long as you do your job and show up, you will be employed. Some benefits are ok, but nothing stellar.

ConsNo training or career growth potential. You pretty much have to sell your soul to the devil if you want any kind of career advancement training. They also make slogans, but nothing ever changes. There is no culture change, and yet they have change management teams. It is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. There is

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wonder why employee satisfaction/engagement numbers are low, and you have rolling layoffs...umm...ok really? People are looking for stabilitiy, and you guys will never provide it. ROlling layoffs have become the norm and an acceptable business practice, yet we have bogus positions like change management specialists and all these BIQ people?? They are overhead and do not produce a result.

It started out great then went down hill.

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsThere are no good reasons to work at Caterpillar anymore.

ConsIt was a challenge to go to work every day. Things were not good. We were watched by salaried employees constantly. We wouldn't dare to stop working for fear of being discharged. They took our future away from us. No raises for 6 years, no pension, now there is only 401K. They downgraded as many opeople as they could then laid a bunch of them off. Everyone wishes they could work some where else, but don't want to give up their tenure. They also took the Bidding for jobs away from us. Instead they just appointed people to positions.The moral of the employees in the shop is at an all time low. They want the middle class to go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make your employees feel like they mean something to the company, other then a body.

Contract employees are expected to do the same as direct hires but without same pay/benefits

Mailroom Clerk/Administrative (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsYou meet lots of people from all sorts of job backgrounds.

ConsContract employees are expected to perform at the same level as regular Caterpillar employees but are denied equivalent pay and benefits. Constantly being asked to do more work without any kind of recognition or compensation. Poor communication issues throughout the whole company. Management can often be soley foucused on their own growth rather than on the people who report to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees and learn to be more flexible when it comes to working styles and other individual traits. Don't leave it up to the employees to arrange annual reviews and have to ask for raises.

Design engineering for a world class construction equipment manufacturer with facilities around the world.

Designer (Former Employee)
    Aurora, IL

ProsAbility to see the work being done on the shop floor. Working with several other disciplines.
    Interface with shop personnel.

ConsI would need to have a cell phone in some cases, when present on the shop floor, to assist in a speedy response,

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pursuing the business as planned while keeping alert to new opportunities.

Fantastic!

Project Management (Former Employee)
    Burr Ridge, IL

ProsI really enjoyed working at Caterpillar and the challenge of meeting and beating deadlines.
    I worked with a great team and learned a substantial amount.

ConsThe company downsized and was forced to lay off staffing. It was unfortunate for everyone involved. Hopefully, the industry will improve and they will build up the manufacturing facility in South Milwaukee, WI. It is another sad story for Wisconsin.

Advice to Senior ManagementCaterpillar management - None they needed to do - what needed to be done.

You are the worst company.

Logistics (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsSome ie very few of the people are compansionate and fun to work with.

ConsSupervisors do NOT treat everyone fairly and are VERY political ie give unfair bad reviews so employees are not promotable and promote less qualified people as personal favors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a different management team in Joliet, IL.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caterpillar reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Caterpillar CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Caterpillar employees.