Caterpillar Global Mining Reviews

2.6
Caterpillar Global Mining Chairman & CEO Doug Oberhelman
Doug Oberhelman
1 Rating

1. Shut our plant down, a blessing considering...

I worked at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They paid a great severance package when they shut our plant down mid year 2014. The work was moved to the PA facility. ALL of the PA employees I have spoken with since that time have said we were the lucky ones ;)

Cons

This market is hard and is not the same as traditional Caterpillar market, but Caterpillar acts as if it is. The loss of customers in going to the dealership model is going to force them to sell what is left in PA at some point.

Advice to Management

Learn from the old timers.

2. A tough industry to work in right now same as for any company in this industry

I have been working at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are great to work with. We have an awesome Facilities Manager that has been doing her best to encourage employee bonding and morale building. She is a tough lady in a tough economy and still finds a way to encourage others.

Cons

There has been a lot of changes over the past few years since we were bought by Caterpillar, so sometimes change is hard for some to handle. The old timers that have been there for 20 to 40 or more years have had it the hardest.

Advice to Management

There are employees that will work very hard for you and some that won't. Try to look past the ones that make the most noise to see the ones that will give you everything they have. They are the ones that need to be rewarded. Just because they are the quiet ones does not mean they don't deserve to be rewarded. Sometimes it just means that they were raised in a time were people didn't beg for raises or were respectable employees and accepted what ever came their way. Right or wrong.

3. Manufacturing Technician

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Design Technology- Solid Works Design

Cons

Slow of business in US

Advice to Management

More technical and vocational courses for employees

5. A great sounding place, but you're only a small fish

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Oak Creek, WI
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Oak Creek, WI

I worked at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, the people are friendly and if you want to spend your life there, there are plenty of opportunities within the company and all over the world.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy and even on a small team, it often felt like management didn't know anyone's name. the building is set up as a cube farm, which makes it feel like a giant faceless machine

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know people. Foster a community and company pride. People that spend their whole career there talk about their amazing experience, but that doesn't translate to the new waves.

6. Hard work, but worth the pay

I have been working at Caterpillar Global Mining

Pros

There are many options for college students, they pay for all travel expenses, great opportunity to travel the world, good pay.

Cons

I was not paid until 2 months later, I basically had to beg for my pay. The job descriptions are not always accurate. I was going to be a parts record clerk- counting tractor parts. It ended up that it was only a small portion of my job. The main part of my job included working outside in 100 degree weather, under a tent, lifting and moving tractor parts, we had to reorganize the warehouse completely. However, the experience built character. The other time I worked in a foreign coutnry, and there was just never enough for us to do. If there was something for us to do, it was done in one day and we were over worked. Rather than splitting the work into several different days. One day there was nothing for us to do, so they had us dust shelves. It was very poorly planned.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees on time and for interns make sure there is work to do.

7. Liars and cheats

Current Employee - Desktop Support in South Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in South Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, nice benefits, but that's it.

Cons

If you have a narcissistic boss, who likes to control what you do, get out sooner than later. He favors slackers and punishes those who work hard. When you finally have enough and fight back by talking to HR, be prepared to lose your own job while he sits high on his throne.

Also, if you want to advance your IT career, you have to move to Peoria.

Advice to Management

Stop with the boys club and get your act together. When you are asked questions in all employee meetings, give a straight answers.

8. So much room for growth.

I have been working at Caterpillar Global Mining

Pros

The supervisor are great. The hard work you put in doesn't go unnoticed.

Cons

Like any factory, it's like being back in high school. People unhappy with their lives try to make your job harder. Also other people's laziness and refusal to earn a promotion who think it should be handed to them, are the biggest challenges you face there.

9. HELPFUL

Former Employee - Assembler in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Assembler in Decatur, IL

I worked at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

taking of your Family needs

Cons

no raises talk to people the way u like to b treated rules don't go for everbody

Advice to Management

Treat people yhe way u would like 2b treated

10. Technical Publications is okay, with room for improvement.

Current Contractor - Writer/Illustrator in South Milwaukee, WI
    Current Contractor - Writer/Illustrator in South Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Caterpillar Global Mining as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Established processes. People who meet deadlines.

Cons

Peer reviews were weak, resulted in some bad errors that got published over and over again.

11. Constant change with unfair workloads!

Former Employee - Management Accountant
    Former Employee - Management Accountant

I worked at Caterpillar Global Mining full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and all study materials for certifications paid for. Thrown right in to job duites which was great to learn.

Cons

Very bad on the job training, and no opportunitties to provide feedback for what you are doing. Everything is done in a very conservative and intimidating way that does not foster open and honest conversations.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees!

Caterpillar Global Mining Photos