Caterpillar

Caterpillar Reviews in Illinois

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman

Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it(in 57 reviews)

• Very good pay and because of the company size many job options(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible(in 30 reviews)

375 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, many opportunities, good pay, but culture changing

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsI love working with the people. Very focused on doing what is right for the customer and helping each other . People are paid well. Lots of opportunity to move around company. Excellent mentors around the company if you look for them. People genuinely like to help each other.

ConsSeeing lots of turnover, especially in young, high potential people. Not enough emphasis on prioritization. This leads to too much workload for capacity and can lead to work life imbalance and high stress. Independent business units are driving a not invented here mentality that makes collaboration challenging at times (especially in higher level positions). At higher leadership levels, fear of consequences for decisions is driving a leadership that has a hard time making decisions. Large company leads to struggles with bureaucracy.

Great fortune 100 company with many opportunities for growth and career experience.

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsTraining and personal development is a high priority. If you work hard, you will be rewarded for it. There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it.

ConsYour specific manager has a lot to do with job satisfaction. If you get stuck with a bad manager, it could make life miserable because they set level of expectation and can either help you grow, or might feel like a roadblock. I was lucky to only have one bad manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a partner with your employees, and not elicit fear. Happy employees get more done and stick around!

Large corporate culture

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Mossville, IL

ProsPay, good people, some interesting people

ConsCulture, lack of vision, poor leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some vision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

boring repetitive work

Assembler (Former Employee) Mossville, IL

Prospay is average, benefits average

Constoo many chiefs, you can't make them all happy , layoffs are often, forced overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementPay top wages for top work, need bonus incentive for quality and production, keep rules consistent

Good company but some bad managers destroying company's image

Staff Accountant I (Current Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsSalary, benefits, ability to be promoted

ConsFew bad managers, work atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with unfavorable issues when they arise as they will only get worst

A Good Company Ruined by Automotive a Industry Management Rejects

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsInteresting projects and good people. As one veteran told me when I first started, "If you have a good boss you will have a good career; you have a bad boss you will have a bad career."

ConsThere has been an influx of automotive managers and junior executives. They brought discipline which is good and a negative culture that does not align with professed values

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about the Employee Opinion Survey; that serves to aggravate employees. They know if they choose negative responses, they will suffer all year long...I choose positive responses in the hope that I will not have to hear entire staff meeting devoted to the subject.

Interesting work, Outdated processes

Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGood money when everything is factored in.
    Locations all over the world.
    Enough opportunities in a few different sectors doing very different things.
    Strong image and great resume builder.

ConsCompany puts a lot of value in the stock. I understand that all companies have to watch their stock prices, but I can assure you that even though CAT stock has risen close to 20% in the first 2 quarters of 2014 and posted record profits in 2013, by all the layoffs and cost cutting measures that we were taking in 2013, one would think the company was going underwater.
    Caterpillar has several processes which seem to make everything quite a bit harder to achieve even the simplest of tasks. From my experience and what I have seen, in the end, when the deadlines start getting close enough, management pretty much abandons these processes (which are supposed to make everything organized) and go to the more straightforward methods.

Advice to Senior Managementstick to the processes. If you put out all these processes, go through the training and when push comes to shove, throw all of them out the door, it really makes these processes a waste.
    There are smaller projects out there that get impacted negatively by how much we outsource hardware, software etc. Caterpillar needs to take on the responsibility to move more things in-house and develop its engineers. Slowly and slowly, caterpillar is creating more integration engineers, who will have a broad overview of everything, but would truly not understand how anything works.

It was frustrating, no team atmosphere and you are constantly looking over your shoulder.

Material Specialist (Former Employee) Decatur, IL

ProsI loved my job and making my co-workers become involved as a team

ConsWhile I contributed to a teamwork atmosphere, it was highly frowned on by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCaterpillar needs to have a more team based atmosphere. We are all here to do a job, let's work together. Management and employees need to be on the same page.

Great company to work for.

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) Decatur, IL

ProsLeadership and long range planning is very good. You can get reimbursed for pre-qualified education while you work. The culture for time off is very good within salaried and management pay ranges.

ConsMore work than can be completed each day but time goes quickly.. Only a short amount of on the job training when new or changing departments. No reference training manuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to continue working on agreeing to good SMART goals for each employee.

Very good company, very good culture, great people, fantastic management (really!), very conservate; IT is not valued...

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe corporate values are well communicated and they adhere to them. The professionalism means the people you interact with day-to-day may have different priorities but are easy to get along with over the long haul.

ConsBusiness unit structure leads to internal conflicts and administrative overhead. It's an engineering/marketing/heavy equipment company and values those disciplines.

IT is viewed as a cost and projects seed technical debt from the get-go because they fail to account for lifecycle cost optimization. Cat's compensation of skills are 180 degrees out of phase of the market. Project manager and business analysts are better compensated then technical resources.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!