Caterpillar

Caterpillar Reviews in Illinois

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman

Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it (in 57 reviews)

• Very good pay and because of the company size many job options (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights
375 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Don't expect to a promotion unless you suck at your job

Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsIt is not Enron

ConsOnly the poor performing get promotions and that is to get them out of your group; which means your team is now down a person (even the poor performing get some work done).

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the people that you give high rating to during the review period and give them promotions and allow them to transfer to other jobs. You tell us constantly that you want to help build our careers, yet you block those that want to move on if they do a good job.

Nothing to envy

Parts Records Clerk (Former Employee) Morton, IL

ProsGreat pay and benefits, company name recognition on a resume, you can gain vast amounts of knowledge from multiple departments.

ConsAtmosphere, culture, leadership, low job security (many lay offs), many employees are overworked due to the uneven distribution of work load.

Caterpillar Inc. is a great company to work for.

Assembly & Test Speciailist III (Current Employee) East Peoria, IL

ProsUpwards mobility, lateral transfers, worldwide possibilities.

ConsLong hours, competitive, and travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing. I hope to be there someday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Want Yellow Blood?

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsSeems to be good mobility. Pay is good especially when the company and your division meets or exceeds its yearly goals/metrics.

ConsPeoria is not the most stellar place to live although not horrible. Company makes a lot of reactionary moves to the fairly cyclical nature of the business. There is a lot of hiring and in-turn laying off of contract workers. As a full-time CAT employee though things are pretty secure historically.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more creative ways to ride the cyclic nature of the business. Research and development should be more stable because if not it creates a lot of inefficiencies and puts the company at risk of not meeting customer needs and not keeping up or out pacing competition.

Great experiences

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe culture and environment were great. People were friendly. I learned a lot when I was there.

ConsIt required you to learn and pick up things ASAP. So if you don't consider yourself a quick learner. Don't go to have a try.

Good company to start your career

Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGrace place to work for, can learn new technologies, exposure to big industry and leaders, can work with multi-cultural people.

ConsToo Many layers in management, your words may not be heard all the time, may feel like dust in the air... hard work does not guarantee promotion.

Best company I have worked for during my 19-year career.

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Mossville, IL

ProsThe culture is world-class. There are people from all over the world working together as a team. Everyone is kind and respectful of each other.

ConsThe only con is the cyclical nature of the industry. Layoffs are something that you either deal with or move to another employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

They don't care for thee people that actual make them profitable. The men & women on the factory floor

4m90 (Former Employee) Joliet, IL

Prosnone to speak of because they don't foster a place to work together and build a good company. just how to abuse the workers.

ConsToo many to list. they interrupt a binding labor contract any way they want to screw the employee the hardest.

Advice to Senior Managementstart taking care of the person on the factory floor it used to be a good place to work. when start looking at the bottom line and not who and how you got there, then all is lost.

Turbulent Job Security, Excellent Advancement Opportunities

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) East Peoria, IL

ProsThe opportunity to advance as well as the guidance is great. The pay seems good relative to the location.

ConsMarket forecasters cant seem to get things correct. Makes for an unstable work environment. The downside of the great wealth of opportunities is the ultra competitive atmosphere that develops as a result. Much advancement is due to who is the most charming and not as a result of talent or ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the talent.

Slow career progression

Engineering Project Team Leader (Current Employee) Mossville, IL

ProsIts ok company with lot of laid back mentality among senior employers. Good for someone who doesn't like change and being challenged.

ConsConservative company and does not challenge the employees enough to excel. Not a risk taker when it comes to leading new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more rewarding career for young driven engineers. "To many managers" with very less technical expertise.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!