Caterpillar Reviews in Illinois

Updated September 29, 2014
3.4

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman
Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it (in 60 reviews)

• Good pay and bonuses (but they jack with the pay-out formula every year to make it harder to achieve) (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

398 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Good Company Ruined by Automotive a Industry Management Rejects

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting projects and good people. As one veteran told me when I first started, "If you have a good boss you will have a good career; you have a bad boss you will have a bad career."

Cons

There has been an influx of automotive managers and junior executives. They brought discipline which is good and a negative culture that does not align with professed values

Stop talking about the Employee Opinion Survey; that serves to aggravate employees. They know if they choose negative responses, they will suffer all year long...I choose positive responses in the hope that I will not have to hear entire staff meeting devoted to the subject.

It was frustrating, no team atmosphere and you are constantly looking over your shoulder.

Former Employee - Material Specialist  in  Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Material Specialist in Decatur, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved my job and making my co-workers become involved as a team

Cons

While I contributed to a teamwork atmosphere, it was highly frowned on by management.

Caterpillar needs to have a more team based atmosphere. We are all here to do a job, let's work together. Management and employees need to be on the same page.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineering Specialist  in  Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Specialist in Decatur, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership and long range planning is very good. You can get reimbursed for pre-qualified education while you work. The culture for time off is very good within salaried and management pay ranges.

Cons

More work than can be completed each day but time goes quickly.. Only a short amount of on the job training when new or changing departments. No reference training manuals.

Need to continue working on agreeing to good SMART goals for each employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a good place to be from

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Mossville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mossville, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, Good work life ballance, 401K

Cons

No chance at advancement, Healthcare and Retirment packages in decline

Cat has been good to me but once they have you they will not spend any more on you. It does not matter how much you contribute to the bottom line. If you want to advance be careful. Cat will string you along for years making ambiguous promises that they have no intention of ever keeping. Management is only concerned about protecting their own positions and managing risk. The rating system is there to give you an impression that it is fair. In fact 85% of employees are rated as average and only given a cost of living pay raise. You will rise quickly the first 2 1/2 years then opportunities will dry up. It is designed this way to lure you in.

Very good company, very good culture, great people, fantastic management (really!), very conservate; IT is not valued...

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The corporate values are well communicated and they adhere to them. The professionalism means the people you interact with day-to-day may have different priorities but are easy to get along with over the long haul.

Cons

Business unit structure leads to internal conflicts and administrative overhead. It's an engineering/marketing/heavy equipment company and values those disciplines.

IT is viewed as a cost and projects seed technical debt from the get-go because they fail to account for lifecycle cost optimization. Cat's compensation of skills are 180 degrees out of phase of the market. Project manager and business analysts are better compensated then technical resources.

Information Analytics Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great leadership. Highly collegial and flexible work atmosphere. Wonderful colleagues to work with. Among the best learning opportunities, with consistent cross-functional problem solving experience. Growing team, with excellent reputation across the enterprise.

Cons

Location in a relatively small metro area. Distance from large airport hubs (Chicago and STL). Lack of career opportunities for spouses, esp in high-end professions.

Great company

Current Employee - Engineering Team Lead  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Team Lead in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good place to work...have made great friendships. They employ some of the best and most talented.

Cons

It is a fairly 'flat' organization. While there is opportunity for promotion, getting to a supervisory or management position can take several years, even for experienced professionals.

CMM Quality /Line inspector

Former Employee - CMM Operator  in  Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - CMM Operator in Joliet, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growth, meet people from allover the world , to prove valve components good quality...

Cons

Things that went on in the 70s have changed today you get into deep trouble quick.

Listen to people that know blueprint Specs. , some leaders are young

Amazing time of learning and doing.

Current Employee - Test Engineer  in  Mossville, IL
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Mossville, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great educational opportunities, opportunities to speak with and shadow pretty much anyone that you wish, and great hourly pay are all a part of the Caterpillar internship experience. You will get meaningful work, get to interact with other interns, and network with large varieties of people across the company.

Cons

Caterpillar does not offer any type of housing stipend.

Make it a priority to meet the interns and interact with them personallly.

Great Company! Great Learning Opportunities for those that keep their eyes open!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It is a fabulous opportunity being able to work for the world's largest construction/mining equipment company. Being a large multinational, the possibilities are endless in terms of the direction of one's career. The company culture is very conducive to a productive work environment. Also, if you get the opportunity to get hired into a rotational program, go for it! This program is very good for working your way up the corporate ladder.

Cons

As a contract worker, it may not be as secure as one would like. But the flip side is that you get to work for a well-known company which is a good resume-builder.

Overall, I think that management is doing a good job at managing risk in the business environment. Part of risk mitigation is having a flexible work staff. In some areas, this has been thought of as a negative (by line workers in particular) but I believe if you educate employees at all levels about the TCO , overhead, etc. when changes and re-org happens, it might be a bit better received. Cross-training could also help with reployment as well.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!