Caterpillar

Caterpillar Reviews in Peoria, IL

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman

Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it(in 57 reviews)

• Very good pay and because of the company size many job options(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible(in 30 reviews)

289 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, many opportunities, good pay, but culture changing

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsI love working with the people. Very focused on doing what is right for the customer and helping each other . People are paid well. Lots of opportunity to move around company. Excellent mentors around the company if you look for them. People genuinely like to help each other.

ConsSeeing lots of turnover, especially in young, high potential people. Not enough emphasis on prioritization. This leads to too much workload for capacity and can lead to work life imbalance and high stress. Independent business units are driving a not invented here mentality that makes collaboration challenging at times (especially in higher level positions). At higher leadership levels, fear of consequences for decisions is driving a leadership that has a hard time making decisions. Large company leads to struggles with bureaucracy.

Large corporate culture

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Mossville, IL

ProsPay, good people, some interesting people

ConsCulture, lack of vision, poor leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some vision

boring repetitive work

Assembler (Former Employee) Mossville, IL

Prospay is average, benefits average

Constoo many chiefs, you can't make them all happy , layoffs are often, forced overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementPay top wages for top work, need bonus incentive for quality and production, keep rules consistent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Company Ruined by Automotive a Industry Management Rejects

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsInteresting projects and good people. As one veteran told me when I first started, "If you have a good boss you will have a good career; you have a bad boss you will have a bad career."

ConsThere has been an influx of automotive managers and junior executives. They brought discipline which is good and a negative culture that does not align with professed values

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about the Employee Opinion Survey; that serves to aggravate employees. They know if they choose negative responses, they will suffer all year long...I choose positive responses in the hope that I will not have to hear entire staff meeting devoted to the subject.

Interesting work, Outdated processes

Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGood money when everything is factored in.
    Locations all over the world.
    Enough opportunities in a few different sectors doing very different things.
    Strong image and great resume builder.

ConsCompany puts a lot of value in the stock. I understand that all companies have to watch their stock prices, but I can assure you that even though CAT stock has risen close to 20% in the first 2 quarters of 2014 and posted record profits in 2013, by all the layoffs and cost cutting measures that we were taking in 2013, one would think the company was going underwater.
    Caterpillar has several processes which seem to make everything quite a bit harder to achieve even the simplest of tasks. From my experience and what I have seen, in the end, when the deadlines start getting close enough, management pretty much abandons these processes (which are supposed to make everything organized) and go to the more straightforward methods.

Advice to Senior Managementstick to the processes. If you put out all these processes, go through the training and when push comes to shove, throw all of them out the door, it really makes these processes a waste.
    There are smaller projects out there that get impacted negatively by how much we outsource hardware, software etc. Caterpillar needs to take on the responsibility to move more things in-house and develop its engineers. Slowly and slowly, caterpillar is creating more integration engineers, who will have a broad overview of everything, but would truly not understand how anything works.

Don't expect to a promotion unless you suck at your job

Engineer (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsIt is not Enron

ConsOnly the poor performing get promotions and that is to get them out of your group; which means your team is now down a person (even the poor performing get some work done).

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the people that you give high rating to during the review period and give them promotions and allow them to transfer to other jobs. You tell us constantly that you want to help build our careers, yet you block those that want to move on if they do a good job.

Very good company, very good culture, great people, fantastic management (really!), very conservate; IT is not valued...

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe corporate values are well communicated and they adhere to them. The professionalism means the people you interact with day-to-day may have different priorities but are easy to get along with over the long haul.

ConsBusiness unit structure leads to internal conflicts and administrative overhead. It's an engineering/marketing/heavy equipment company and values those disciplines.

IT is viewed as a cost and projects seed technical debt from the get-go because they fail to account for lifecycle cost optimization. Cat's compensation of skills are 180 degrees out of phase of the market. Project manager and business analysts are better compensated then technical resources.

Information Analytics Group

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGreat leadership. Highly collegial and flexible work atmosphere. Wonderful colleagues to work with. Among the best learning opportunities, with consistent cross-functional problem solving experience. Growing team, with excellent reputation across the enterprise.

ConsLocation in a relatively small metro area. Distance from large airport hubs (Chicago and STL). Lack of career opportunities for spouses, esp in high-end professions.

Great company

Engineering Team Lead (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGood place to work...have made great friendships. They employ some of the best and most talented.

ConsIt is a fairly 'flat' organization. While there is opportunity for promotion, getting to a supervisory or management position can take several years, even for experienced professionals.

It is a good place to be from

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Mossville, IL

ProsGood pay, Good work life ballance, 401K

ConsNo chance at advancement, Healthcare and Retirment packages in decline

Advice to Senior ManagementCat has been good to me but once they have you they will not spend any more on you. It does not matter how much you contribute to the bottom line. If you want to advance be careful. Cat will string you along for years making ambiguous promises that they have no intention of ever keeping. Management is only concerned about protecting their own positions and managing risk. The rating system is there to give you an impression that it is fair. In fact 85% of employees are rated as average and only given a cost of living pay raise. You will rise quickly the first 2 1/2 years then opportunities will dry up. It is designed this way to lure you in.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!