Caterpillar

www.caterpillar.com
  www.caterpillar.com

Caterpillar Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman
Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it (in 64 reviews)

• Good pay and bonuses (but they jack with the pay-out formula every year to make it harder to achieve) (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Former Employee - Engineer in Sanford, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sanford, NC

I worked at Caterpillar

Pros

Flexibility and career developement opportunities.

Cons

Evaluations are not always fair.

None

Good internship

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Everyone was very friendly, willing to help you with anything you needed. Many opportunities to learn about the company and the industry. Field trips and special presentations were made for all interns.

Cons

It can sometimes be hard to get in touch with people who are crucial to a project you are working on. There were also several days were there was little or nothing to do. It got a little boring at times.

The educational field trips and factory visits were very interesting and helped peek interest in the company. I would recommend having a set project before the intern arrives, rather than have someone create one when the intern get there.

Great company for the right person

Former Employee - IT Analyst I in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - IT Analyst I in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar

Pros

great company excellent benefits a lot of money for little work

Cons

Good old boy network. Hard for new comers to adjust and move up.

overall...ok job

It is good work if you can get it.

Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Lead in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Lead in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Lots of opportunity all over the world. You can live in many locations and even see remote parts of the world visiting customers. Pay is fair and the bonus system is very lucrative.

Cons

Lots of internal red tape. Several processes are outdated or too complicated. IT can sometimes get in the way of getting work done. There are alot of people that have to process every change to make sure the customers get what the need.

protect the lower salary people, not just upper management. Cat seems to be very top heavy.

Where to go from here?

I worked at Caterpillar

Pros

good culture within the office, friendly co-workers, interesting work in engineering. They do spend a decent amount of money on training although this is mostly six sigma and safety training. Corporate events are fun. In general people are helpful and patient and communication works well through out the organization. In the past this type of job provided stability and security and hopefully in the future it will again. Generally we have very good and cooperative relationships with our clients. Some travel is even possible with this job as there were other plants in the mid west area that managers would travel to.

Cons

upper management can at times be very secretive, not letting its regular staff know the depth of the current situation, sometimes seems like they are hiding and covering up information from their staff. This company is very much dependent on the six sigma practices, almost to the point of where everything is redundant, seems like there are many hoops to jump through in order to get a raise or an advanced position within the company. There is some opportunity to move to different departments within the business unti, but in recent months management really wants everyone to stick to one or two main projects.

Let us know as soon as possible when drastic cuts are going to be made. At least most of the manager got pay cuts with the layoffs, but I still question whether CAT will be able to recover

Caterpillar - not much different from other large corporations

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

The pay and benefits are among the best in the area. Producing a product that is recognized in almost any part of the world is rewarding. Being a large company, it can offer its employees the opportunity of a variety of job opportunities while staying with the same employer.

Cons

In many ways, the company is still trapped in the 1950's. Promotions are often given to the connected rather then the qualified. Underperformers are not pushed to improve, due to the company's fear of legal retaliation. Topnotch employees are 'punished' by being asked to do additional work to compensate for work not being done by their underperforming co-workers, while the underperformer is allowed to continue to perform at an unacceptable level without fear of reprimand.

Many middle managers are promoted past their level of competence, but because they've been with tthe company for many years, or have highly placed friends, the situation is never addressed.

Reward employees who are doing well, and address employees that are not performing up to expectations.

Cat Power

I worked at Caterpillar

Pros

Benefits are great. Work/life balance reasonable.

Cons

Cat is a very conservative slow moving company.

None.

Good leader & excellent national exposure.

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Competitive pay. Reasonable cost of living in Peoria area. In general people are not too stuck on themselves and have 'small town Midwest' attitudes.

Cons

They are so stuck on everyone worshipping seniority and begin from Peoria and having 3 generations of family that has worked there. As a mid-career hire I found the company very unwelcoming. they do not respect outside experience or viewpoints. The people are nice, but the system they have created is a joke.

Train mid-level management to understand that the staus quo does not equal prosperity. New ways of doing things is the only way to remain at the head of the pack.

Get on track with the one who invented them!

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Sanford, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Sanford, NC

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

The ability to create the biggest toys on earth. When you find yourself in all places of the world and see that Caterpillar Tractor creating something of value to someone else, it brings great pride. It's also fun to be able to drive them around.

Cons

You can become one of many is a sea of people. With so many people that work for this company, it can be difficult to be recognized for contributions.

Don't forget the people that make the place run. Yes, shareholders are important but if it wasn't for the employees, the shareholders would have nothing of value.

Caterpillar Review

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Great advancement opportunities. Great health benefits. My boss is very flexible when it comes to getting days off. I can take off more than my two weeks if need be. I can also leave a little early as long as I am getting my work completed. Great team work.

Cons

Seems like half of the company is contract. As we are now in our downturn, it seems like most of the contract workers have been let go. We won't get a merit raise next year as well as a bonus. So now we have tons more work to do without being incentive to do more work. But at the same time, you still have a job.

My boss is great and I would let him know that he should never leave his job because he is great at it.